Questions on AW, DPS, and what not...

Hello. Just another fellow paladin having a bit of DPS troubles in heroics and raids seeking advice, mainly

First of all, sorry to have to make a new thread about this, but I've tried to search and read most of the retribution topics I've found on these forums, but couldn't find a definite answer for what I'm looking for.

Here is my current armory atm: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cilla&n=Kheely

-- Right now, with the proper buffs, I am averaging around 1950-2000 DPS, says Recount, while following the basic Judge>CS>DS>Cons rotation. With the gear I have atm (I know it's pretty bad), am I doing what would be average? or am I capable of much more? I've been seeing a lot of paladins pushing over 2.5k - 3k DPS with the similar gear which is why I'm a bit concerned :P

Avenging Wrath. I'm thinking this is my main DPS problem, but are most ret paladins topping the meters blowing their AW cooldown as much as possible? I seem to only use this on boss fights, but I only use it near the 25-20% mark on the boss. Should I be using this as soon as the CD wears off? And should I attempt to use this sometimes on trash pulls, too? (AoE pulls, mainly)?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. Again, sorry for making a new topic on this subject

~Kheels

Re: Questions on AW, DPS, and what not...

I previously typed up a huge post and then deleted it. Instead, its easiest to just say that you should blow AW as often as you can during instance runs when your fighting mobs. Be smart about it and dont gib yourself with judgements and make sure your tank has some threat at least before you blow the wings and lay down the law.

Unless there's a good reason not to, I will typically pop AW+trinket once the tank has solid aggro (usually 6-7 seconds into the boss fight), and pop it everytime the cooldown is up. If you're interested in maximizing your dps, you want to get in as much AW time is possible, so you need to use it as soon as you're able to. If you're able to time it right you will pop your last AW when the boss is in execute range. This is when you'll see how awesome the AW glyph is when you're using a HoW every other global CD.

If there's a part of the fight that I will particularly need to save some burst dps for, I will usually hold off on using AW for that part. An example would be loatheb, where I wait until i get the spore buff before popping everything.

If you really care that much about the damage meters go for popping AW during trash. Honestly I only really concern myself with boss dps #s so I hardly ever do. You may have issues with aggro if you do it during aoe pulls though.

15+ Year Old Account

i never use AW on trash since they go down to fast. and if i go with a pug ill overaggro most of the time. certainly with multiple mobs.

seeing your gear its good that your hitcapped, thats a big plus. you should focus on trying to keep the same hit lvl (8% is also good) and stack more on crit and ap. stacking strength is the best way to get more ap.

and the best and easiest way to get better gear for you is running 10/25m naxxramas

I use AW as often as possible.

It's important to make sure that it's off CD for the boss fight though, so don't use it for the last 2 or so pulls before the boss.

I try to blow AW near the start of every boss fight. Usually, I can get in a second AW near the end for amazing Hammer of Wrath crits.

Also, don't forget food buffs and elixirs. And some people on wowhead are reporting being able to use Adamantite Weightstones on their Titansteel Destroyers.

Quote Originally Posted by iktankniet
    i never use AW on trash since they go down to fast. and if i go with a pug ill overaggro most of the time. certainly with multiple mobs.

seeing your gear its good that your hitcapped, thats a big plus. you should focus on trying to keep the same hit lvl (8% is also good) and stack more on crit and ap. stacking strength is the best way to get more ap.

and the best and easiest way to get better gear for you is running 10/25m naxxramas
    While the hardcore players will argue that boss meters are the only relevant important part for dps, it is still important to be playing to the full potential of your character/spec. Not using AW on trash is silly. With that rationale, combat rogues shouldnt be using Blade Flurry on trash pulls when multiple mobs are being pulled.

Maybe its my mindset from when ret was a joke....but I try to maximize my dps as much as I can and as a result I use AW even on trash. I still see myself as having to prove why I should have a raid spot over a mage/hunter/warlock/rogue/death knight etc.

Now, if I am in Violet Hold, and I am 1-2 portals away from a boss fight...I will hold off just in case..maybe. Its situational. But pretty much as soon as AW comes up I am using it. I try to push the envelope as much as I can when it comes to doing damage with my ret paladin but in a smart way.

Quote Originally Posted by Voldehmort
    While the hardcore players will argue that boss meters are the only relevant important part for dps, it is still important to be playing to the full potential of your character/spec. Not using AW on trash is silly. With that rationale, combat rogues shouldnt be using Blade Flurry on trash pulls when multiple mobs are being pulled.

Maybe its my mindset from when ret was a joke....but I try to maximize my dps as much as I can and as a result I use AW even on trash. I still see myself as having to prove why I should have a raid spot over a mage/hunter/warlock/rogue/death knight etc.

Now, if I am in Violet Hold, and I am 1-2 portals away from a boss fight...I will hold off just in case..maybe. Its situational. But pretty much as soon as AW comes up I am using it. I try to push the envelope as much as I can when it comes to doing damage with my ret paladin but in a smart way.
    Very correct. Be situationally aware. This is the most important suggestion. Makes the the difference between a Ret-tard and a Ret-adin.

An yes, currently weight stones are usable on maces.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Thank you for all of the replies. The info here will come in very handy come the next time I raid.

~Kheels

Yeah, basically AW should be on cooldown all the time. The only times you dont use it is if it will pull aggro or get you killed. And if you can try to time it during bloodlust because +20% dmg on top of the 40% haste bloodlust gives you is a crazy dps increase.

Like in my guild i know that bloodlust will be called for at 35% on most bosses so i use AW at the start of the fight and it will be back off cooldown in time for bloodlust.