Enchants for Ret pallys?

Howdy!

Ok, a friend of mine has just got his Ret pally up to level 80. However, despite him having better gear than my hunter, last night in a 5 man run (heroic Gundrak) he was doing far less damage than everyone else - with me and the other dps (a rogue) doing 3/4 times as much. Even the warrior tank was doing more than him. I'm not sure if Rets are supposed to be doing more or less damage - I remember some comments a few weeks back about Rets doing a lot of damage in pvp - but they got nerfed didn't they? Did that affect pve damage as well?

Looking at his gear, he's not enchanted it at all, and not really gemmed it either (he's got a few green gems but still got empty sockets, and he's a BS as well so I think that means he can add sockets to unsocketted gear?).

When I asked him about this, he said he had no idea which enchants he should be getting (this is the first time he's hit the level cap so he's not really had to think about enchanting gear yet).

What should he be looking for? Do ret pallys need spellpower or just attack power? crit?

Also, just to check, what would be a 'good' rotation for him to be using? He may be doing this already, but I just want to get as much info for him to look at what he's doing to improve.

Re: Enchants for Ret pallys?

Str > Atk > Agi/Crit

This goes for enchants and Gems.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Enchants
    Always use the ones I listed first in the sentence, but they are also the most expensive ones or hard to get ones.

Head enchant
    Shoulder enchant or Shoulder enchant
    22 agi on back or 16 agi on back
    +10 all stats on chest or +8 all stats
    50 AP on bracers or 38 AP on bracers
    44 AP on gloves or, a BC enchant which is pretty good, +15 str
    Belt Buckle on belt of course
    Icescale Leg armor on legs
    +32 AP on boots if you can afford it, elsewise 24 AP on boots. These are if you are hit capped. If you are not hit capped, Icewalker will do very fine.
    32 ap on ring if you are enchanter of course.
    Weapon: Berserking is by far best, after comes 110 AP on weapon, which is very expensive, so if you cannot afford that, use 85 AP on wpn.

Gems
    Bold Scarlet Ruby > Inscribed Monarch Topaz > Sovereign Twilight Opal (which is not in the game at the moment, so use Balanced instead).

Meta gem: ALWAYS use Chaotic Skyflare Diamond. (And make sure to have the 2 blue gems in your gear to active it, that could be 2 Balanced Twilight Opals.

Anyway, tell him to use judgement whenever its up, and make him burn all his damage CD's every time he can. This will help a bunch on his damage.

Also, tell him to go for gear that has the stats of the most: Strength > Attack power > hit/expertise (if not capped) > crit > Agility > Armor penetration. Don't EVER gem or take items with spellpower. That is fail.

22 agi on back or 16 agi on back
    For long endurance fights, 23 haste on cloak is a good choice as well.

Fuji hit the nail on the head there, enchanting Haste onto his cloak is a cheap and viable option instead of agility.

Also he can get a nice burst to his dps with something as simple and switching his Seal. Seal of Blood/Marty gave me a huge boost to my dps, it may be that he's already using it but the benefits are; Bigger judgements, procs of all normal swings/CS/DS etc, and also the healeth lost, when healed, returns mana to keep Concecration up (big mana eater)

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Tell me the name of a PvE paladin with a little brain who doesnt use Seal of the Martyr and I will personally /slap him in his face.

And yes, true, Haste is nice for some long fights, but dps-wise in the fights that are currently in the game, more crit is > haste. Yet again, haste scales nicely with Martyr. Hmm, tough decision. Cloak enchant is your own choice :-)

Nzu

First of all, he should be Hit-capped (12%) which helps a huge lot in the DPS.

Second he should get 25-30% Crit atleast.

Then third he should get the rest in AP.

The best Retribution spec+Glyphs available for Retri Pallys as of yet: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=120510020500

He should ALWAYS use Seal of Blood/Seal of the Martyr and Retribution Aura for max dps.

The rotation I use is:
    Judgement of Wisdom - Crusader Strike - Divine Storm - Wait for Judgement of Wisdom or use Consecration - Crusader Strike - Divine Storm .. Just do like this all the time and you will be topping the Damagemeters quite easy

If you're out of mana, use Seal of Wisdom and Divine Plea ofc.

Cough*
    First of all, he should be Hit-capped (12%) which helps a huge lot in the DPS.
    The hit-cap for ret is still 9% as it was Pre-WoTLK

If you want the absolute best dps cloak enchant, go for Swordguard Embroidery, an enchant giving you 300ap on proc for 15 seconds, and is guaranteed to proc at least once a minute. Although you will dump a lot of gold into leveling tailoring, it is by the far the best enchant, and tailoring is not a bad idea if you are wanting to spec into holy as off spec, seeing as you get nice caster leg enchants, and a cloak enchant that returns a good deal of mana back on chance after spell cast.
    Here's my user friendly signature...enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujiama
    Bold Scarlet Ruby > Inscribed Monarch Topaz > Sovereign Twilight Opal (which is not in the game at the moment, so use Balanced instead).

Meta gem: ALWAYS use Chaotic Skyflare Diamond. (And make sure to have the 2 blue gems in your gear to active it, that could be 2 Balanced Twilight Opals.
    Inscribed Monarch Topaz is not in the game either so takePerfect Inscribed Huge Citrine. if you ask me Perfect Sovereign Shadow Crystal is better then the Balanced one, oh and dont forget about Enchanted Tear which is even better but unique

Nzu: it's still 9%/17% hit rating for our abillities, (17% for judges/consecration/excorsism and so on) and take 2/2 PoJ instead of 2/2 vindication in your spec as all mobs or atleast most of them dont have any stats to reduce

Edit: not 100% on this but it may also b e viable to use Relentless Earthsiege Diamond instead of Chaotic Skyflare Diamond as it would just need 1 Enchanted Tear meaning you gain 1 more gem slot for Bold Scarlet Ruby which is a 9 str gain compared to using Perfect Sovereign Shadow Crystal
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

Please ignore the posts about the hit cap above and read this guide instead of asking about people to use their imagination and come up with answers:

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t37843-r...d_wrath_3_0_a/

'At level 80, we require 262 hit rating, or 8%, to be hit capped on white swings, specials, and judgements. Note that Exorcism and Consecration are considered spells and use the spell hit table, thus we can still miss with these abilities. You want to be hit capped to maximize your DPS, but any hit after the cap is wasted itemization points, so gear accordingly.'

Note that aquiring more than 8% hit so that you can make conc and exorcism not miss is not needed at all. Aim for 8%.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel
    Please ignore the posts about the hit cap above and read this guide instead of asking about people to use their imagination and come up with answers:

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t37843-r...d_wrath_3_0_a/

'At level 80, we require 262 hit rating, or 8%, to be hit capped on white swings, specials, and judgements. Note that Exorcism and Consecration are considered spells and use the spell hit table, thus we can still miss with these abilities. You want to be hit capped to maximize your DPS, but any hit after the cap is wasted itemization points, so gear accordingly.'

Note that aquiring more than 8% hit so that you can make conc and exorcism not miss is not needed at all. Aim for 8%.
    Heh, also note that further in the thread it says how you in fact don't need to be hit capped to do maximum dps unless mana is an issue, which it really shouldn't be. In fact, current optimal gear (not including non-plate) would get you a hit rating of around 7%. But this is not entirely on topic. Just download rawr. That will basically spell out the best enchants for you.