Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: achievements yes or no?

You are not an idiot. Its a good question. The idiot is who says you are idiot!

Anyway my point of view:

- In basics Achievement idea is good. You can redo something you are already bored of, do on a more difficult level, and feel you have done a hard version of encounter. All in all, everyone will be able to down the same boss, less will do achievments.

- The execution of Achievements are not so good. Some achievements are plain easy and even more easier in dungeons. You don't even think about it, and you complete it as a casual player. Maybe the idea behind that was to slowly introduce achievements to casuals too. However the BIG BIG downside of that is when you do a hard achievement, you get the same 10 points for it than an easy one. Why call the easy one achievement when everyone can do it without any focus? There is a BIG spread about complexity of achievements (doing 1st and 3rd in Azjol Nerub... vs 2nd achievement there). Therefore this comes as a mixed bag, and you don't feel special about doing one achievement.

- Achievements - if you look at EVERY achievement - gives me an even poorer picture. A casual player who is running around like a headless chicken will have more achievement points due to eploration than a raider who knows how to play his character and adds in extra hours to learn and master encounters with his friends - doing the hard ones too. So with this view, achievements fail, as they don't distinguish players - just too many texts to check what a player did. Some might even feel they are forced to do achievements they dont want to - but they want to get more and more scores from the game.

achievement system is /care at leas for me
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Calling Mindflay a defense is like calling, excuse the language, slicing your anus open with a knife a defensive move against surprise buttsecks.
    http://wow.allakhazam.com/wiki/pre-naxx_holy_paladin_guide_(wow)

RWeber

Quote Originally Posted by eu.zulu.shinthar
    u can kill a boss in an easy way -> casual
    u can kill a boss in the achievment way -> core
    More like:
    Kill a boss the easy way -> Donald
    Kill a boss in the achievement way -> Casual who knows how to play
    Sit around bored or quit -> Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Yender
    I disagree that achievements are pointless as they encourage you to do things you would not normally bother with, making it more fun.
    I agree with that totally

blizzard said that only a 1-10% saw sunwell nax40 etc so they made the basic strategy easy and the achievementes more dificult(the range varies there are easier and others more difficult, but you need all if you want the glory of the raider/hero)

Deleted

Love it how some greasy nerds use the word casual seriously to bash people.

To me and my 4300 achievement points, it just creates another friendly competition in guild.
    80 Orc Hunter: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Greymane&n=Hamstar

Tyrenis was before the race change.

Quote Originally Posted by sillverhair
    from what ive seen so far in game aswell as on fora, is that most people tend to think this achievement system awesome (as if they forget that blizzard just didnt have enough content and this is just there to fill in the time)

people talk in guildchat or whispers to me all the time: !! look i got this achievement or hey look what i did..

is there anyone else out there who like me really doesnt care about the achievments?? yes yes i know blizzard will give some wellfare epics in the future for points but so what? i mean you raid you get loot thats te point off the game, to never have the best possible gear yet to try to gain it nontheless.

stories and such is a nice timefiller but no more than that, eventually it comes down to what gear you have, gear is and will always be the movement factor in world off warcraft (whether you agree or not is not important) this is for the majority off people that play WoW true.

thus.. achievements are useless, the only thing you can do is show off, and tbh no one in his right mind will ask if you have done a certain achievement when pugging a heroic for example, they will just ask what your gear stats are like and eithre take you or not.. whether or not you killed some dragon with 2 or 3 baby dragons attached to it doesnt matter..

/discuss away
    I give you credit for proper use of the word "whether" (as opposed to most people who would use "weather"), but that's as far as it goes.

from what ive seen so far in game aswell as on fora, is that most people tend to think this achievement system awesome (as if they forget that blizzard just didnt have enough content and this is just there to fill in the time)
    There's a nice hostile opinion. I'm not even going to bother discussing that with you.

is there anyone else out there who like me really doesnt care about the achievments?? yes yes i know blizzard will give some wellfare epics in the future for points but so what? i mean you raid you get loot thats te point off the game, to never have the best possible gear yet to try to gain it nontheless.
    assert(your_opinion == true); // Crash & Burn

I disagree that the point of this game is to try, and fail, to get the best gear. That might be your view of it, but I see this game as a Massively Multiple Online game. Do you know what that implies to me? It doesn't say "get der gearz yah," it says come enjoy your leisure time while playing with friends who are local, and all around the world.

stories and such is a nice timefiller but no more than that, eventually it comes down to what gear you have, gear is and will always be the movement factor in world off warcraft (whether you agree or not is not important) this is for the majority off people that play WoW true.
    1) Your opinions are strong, apply to very few people over the age of 13, and in my opinion are lame and false. Some people (like me) enjoy understanding why we're fighting a dragon timekeeper as a last boss in a raid dungeon, and not a giant tea kettle with utensils for adds. Some people (like you) enjoy the belief that they are somehow better, or ahead, of others. This is almost always based on gear although I've seen it done with achievements too, so whether or not achievements are worthwhile is a matter of opinion (not just yours). And no it's not a form of competitive behavior or anything logical like that. It's stupid childishness.

2) (whether you agree or not is not important) + /discuss away = ROFL

thus.. achievements are useless, the only thing you can do is show off, and tbh no one in his right mind will ask if you have done a certain achievement when pugging a heroic for example, they will just ask what your gear stats are like and eithre take you or not.. whether or not you killed some dragon with 2 or 3 baby dragons attached to it doesnt matter..
    It's nice to see you have already given your conclusions in your first post. Glad this discussion has enlightened you. For the record, achievements are an excellent way to determine if someone is fit for a heroic or raid. You know what's better than bringing someone with 3500 DPS over someone with 3400 DPS? Bringing someone who's completed the raid before over someone who hasn't.

All in all your post was a complete failure. You're just a young minded fool spewing out opinions and waiting for reactions. You need to learn how to converse before we can even begin to "/discuss away."
    Quote Originally Posted by Il1dan
    Sorry bro but it is mmo-champion the #1 QQ web site on the net

I quite like the achievement system. Im not an 'achievment hunter' or anything and I dont understand people who buy 50 mounts.... for another mount.... or people that search through every zone for a title etc. But the achievments like killing a boss in a certain way I think are quite good. Last boss of HoS for example. Very easy to tank and spank down and kill a few adds. Going for the achievement you need to wait for slimes to form and kill 5, adds a new dimension to the bosses almost, takes it from a dull instance fight and puts it up a notch. Those who dont want to complicate the fight dont need to, those that do, will

Totally agree that achievements are not useless. There are some that give rewards, so your noticed for your achievements. Titles, mounts, etc. Yea we could have lived with out it but it's not so bad. It ain't like your being forced to them them.
    I want to have a child and use it as a pulling tool in dungeons.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by SimTex
    Achievements are crap. Whenever a group says hey lets do this and that achievement, I usually just ignore it or ruin it if i can.
    Why would you purposefully set out to ruin an experience for another player?

How would you feel if one or more players stepped into a heroic you had organised with the intent of wiping the group, on the basis that they didn't share your enthusiasm for the run?

Yours is the attitude of a spoiled child, which has no place in a global community of any kind.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    I give you credit for proper use of the word "whether" (as opposed to most people who would use "weather"), but that's as far as it goes.

There's a nice hostile opinion. I'm not even going to bother discussing that with you.

assert(your_opinion == true); // Crash & Burn

I disagree that the point of this game is to try, and fail, to get the best gear. That might be your view of it, but I see this game as a Massively Multiple Online game. Do you know what that implies to me? It doesn't say "get der gearz yah," it says come enjoy your leisure time while playing with friends who are local, and all around the world.

1) Your opinions are strong, apply to very few people over the age of 13, and in my opinion are lame and false. Some people (like me) enjoy understanding why we're fighting a dragon timekeeper as a last boss in a raid dungeon, and not a giant tea kettle with utensils for adds. Some people (like you) enjoy the belief that they are somehow better, or ahead, of others. This is almost always based on gear although I've seen it done with achievements too, so whether or not achievements are worthwhile is a matter of opinion (not just yours). And no it's not a form of competitive behavior or anything logical like that. It's stupid childishness.

2) (whether you agree or not is not important) + /discuss away = ROFL

It's nice to see you have already given your conclusions in your first post. Glad this discussion has enlightened you. For the record, achievements are an excellent way to determine if someone is fit for a heroic or raid. You know what's better than bringing someone with 3500 DPS over someone with 3400 DPS? Bringing someone who's completed the raid before over someone who hasn't.

All in all your post was a complete failure. You're just a young minded fool spewing out opinions and waiting for reactions. You need to learn how to converse before we can even begin to "/discuss away."
    ive given my opinion, i didnt say you should agree, i merely stated what i thought. and how i came to those conclusions by giving arguments, i didnt however ask to be personally attacked, i guess you have never learned to debate, whenever attacking someone personally due to age or language usage (not my motherlanguage) is mostly for very dumb people, those that actually answer opinions do this with an opinion based on arguments hence the /discuss, a discussion is facts built up by arguments, it has however nothing to do with age, language or fe. skin color height or what not

if you wish to disagree with me please come with arguments and not with troll remarks thank you

ps. im 21 years off age, and im mediocre geared, if you do not wish to discuss it then dont answer

I personally don't like achievemnts very much. They we're a nice attempt of Blizzard trying to give us more "content" but failed in my honest opinion. I mean you could have done these things without achievemnts, ain't that right? Now you get some points to increase your e-peen. Only real nice achievements are those that give you a reward which is as rewarding as the difficulty of the achievement is (ie. Glory of the Hero is nice, Glory of the Raider has too low of a reward).

I personally don't do achievements, except those which rewards I like, and there aren't that many so I say that I don't do them, and those which kinda naturally need to be done (OMG level 80! That's such an achievement).

Went with a PUG once which wanted to do an achievement. I asked them why the hell do they want them? They said because it's fun... You do achievements because it's fun... Yeah right, you need to be like 8 years or something if you say that. I can think of a gazillion things that are fun to do in an instance which don't include any achievements. I mean come on! Do the instance with less than 5 people, solo an instance (or at least a specific mob from there), pull every thrash from the begging to the first boss and kill them all without letting a group member fall and they need to be killed within 15 seconds from each other etc. I mean is it so hard to make something fun without using achievements? Ofcourse those achievements don't increase your e-peen, but what? You said you're doing them for fun and not for points.

On top of all I really hate it when they almost all want to have alot of points and when I inspect how many points they have they got half less than I do. They're even running old raids for them. I support what they're doing but I don't support their reason, to increase your e-peen and not to have fun. I do old stuff for fun even though I've done it alot of times. Some of my IRL friends also play this game and have the same or at least similar opinion about achievements.

We don't run Zul'Gurub because we want that achievement for the Zulian Tiger, we run Zul'Gurub to get the tiger to show off and to get mind controlled by those Jinxed Hoodoo Piles and to bring back old memories of the raid and to laugh at what this content has become, I mean easy as pie, you can solo it now but back then you needed 20 people.
    Q.: What happens when a Paladin uses Consecration while at the same time a Death Knight puts up Desecration?

A.: No man's land.

i like the achievement system, however I dont go out of my way to complete them. except for the seasonal ones perhaps. if it happens when I'm in a heroic or a raid then thats cool, if not...meh

The ones with rewards are clearly a great addition and I hope Blizz add more in the future. you only have to look at other games on the consoles whereby archievement systems are heavily implemented and a great success imo.

Deleted

Achievements are crap. Whenever a group says hey lets do this and that achievement, I usually just ignore it or ruin it if i can. Cba getting 10 points for doing something as stupid as killing XX in xx seconds. Make proper content, instead of creating these cheapass achievements, I would be okay with it if there was content ingame, but when they replace content with achievements then I'm getting anoyed.
    Wow, are you serious? You got some major problems I guess.

most achievments are not even worth my time i belive, since where can u see achievment in discovering all map or doing 10000k lowlvl quests? But from other side there are imba achievments like "of the nightfall" etc which making me i wanna play this game, since in age of easy content i can feel special atleast with rare and hard achievments :P

Achievements are crap. Whenever a group says hey lets do this and that achievement, I usually just ignore it or ruin it if i can. Cba getting 10 points for doing something as stupid as killing XX in xx seconds. Make proper content, instead of creating these cheapass achievements, I would be okay with it if there was content ingame, but when they replace content with achievements then I'm getting anoyed.
    Totaly agree whit you, achievements are crap.
    If you got 2 cakes and i eat 3 of them, how manny cakes do you have left?

Deleted

Achivements are a way to:
    - help "complete" the game for all collecting maniacs (we now have a tracking tool)
    - give alternate objectives and get people to use alternative strategies on encounters
    - pass time
    If you decide that anything that isn't really "new" content is stupid, you just gained the right to throw out all of the PvP content. Achivements have the same right to exist than PvE or PvP or whatever else you chose to do : they are all the exact same waste of your time with no "real" reward at the end.

Value in this game is created by what each player enjoys. Trying to force your opinion on others is completely retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury
    Why would you purposefully set out to ruin an experience for another player?

How would you feel if one or more players stepped into a heroic you had organised with the intent of wiping the group, on the basis that they didn't share your enthusiasm for the run?

Yours is the attitude of a spoiled child, which has no place in a global community of any kind.
    There is quite a difference in saying LF1M for achivement run (a run which I would ignore) and then LF1M and then getting to the instance and being told hey lets us do this achievement, which I couldnt care less about. And all the hate aside, I'm not close to being elitist in anyway I just don't like play wow or any other game for achievements. And lets face it most of the achievements are pointless (collect XX pets, kiss X critters and whatnot), I can see the point in some of them because they try to make people do raids/dungeons in a certain none typical way, but imo I would be fine to kill Sath 3D without any achievements just for the loot, and they could use the same mechanism for all the other bosses with achievements. If you could kill patch within 3min you would get 1 extra piece of loot, and people would be happy to do it every week instead of just once.

btw I sold coins and bijous for 8500g to a guy who wanted zandalar exalted achivement and was lazy to farm it on his own. I like achivements cause of such ppl ;D