Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius
    He never said all DPSers are kids, he merely agreed to the fact that the simplicity of it appeals to the younger playerbase. It's not hard and it's not as demanding as healing or tanking. I happen to agree to this to.
    Ah please everyone come back to earth . . . What the hell is tough about tanking ? It is exactly the same as dps'ing, meaning use ur survival cd's when in hot spot, do as much TPS as possible ...

Doesn't that ring a bell ? Use ur cd when in tight spot to survive cuz dead dps does 0 dps... and do as much dps as possible ...

Unless there are adds in fight, tanking = dps'ing. Actually... usually dps got other jobs too, like kiting zombie in gluth, killing webbed ppl in Maexxna, dropping circle behind tank/melee in Grobulus + dps'ing alts. What does tank do ?? right... they never even switch targets . . .

So fuck everyone that says tanking is tougher then dps'ing. Btw am I was a raid tank and just recently re-specced dps. No I have no problem dps'ing before you ask, nothin is hard in this game anyway. But tanking can be done totally drunk+ half asleep.

its only common.. people tend to say whatever they once heared/ picked up somewhere

examples..

you get invited as a DK in a group to tank:

/s (partymember 1) OMG ROFL, 12k hp, you cant tank!! (lolz i just got my invite, my tank gear is still in my backpack)

or i get

/2 (partymember 1) ROFL omg unholy specc!! lolz thats dps specc, you cant tank

I';ve seen soooo much dumb comments about well.. about everything there is to comment on :P
    i just laugh about it, and try to play with only decent people ...

oh btw, f*ck PVP, f*ck PVE.. the real challenge is to find normal people to play with in WoW ;D ;D

did end-game content in 10 days? lolz gratz.. the new "achievement" is to do end game with sane people :P
    thread: Smoke Grenade? I mean srsly?
    I'd also like a flashbang and then it would be just like Counter Strike.

I play a dps dk because I already have a war tank. I've been playing for some time now and I still have the mindset that war tanks better than anything else (even though I know it not to be true). In addition, I don't think I'm very good at tanking (the reason why my war is still level 70).

I never intended to use the DK as a tank anyway. The reason I made it would be so I could have a toon for every archetype (tank, healer, ranged dps and melee dps). I already had a lock, prot war and resto druid. I was also planning on doing some pvp with the DK but since the gear is less accessible I don't do much more than WG.

Don't tanks tank by... gaining threat? don't you gain threat by..... doing damage with tanks? DPSing is just fucking easier for most people, I respect Tanks to the fullest so much I am rerolling one.. fury off-specc for PvP.

Deathknights tank by pretty much using DPS abilites to generate threat... very little difference between unholy DPS and unholy tank playstyle, People just want big numbers.

I have some advice for the OP then; Ignore them until you have your tank, put them on the backseat for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish8586
    I tihnk wehn naruto uses teh spirit bomb on vegeta den he will b defeated and tehn he can fite teh homonclus taht ed made cuz he cant cuz its his mawm!!! ^______________________^

Quote Originally Posted by k0102
    oh btw, f*ck PVP, f*ck PVE.. the real challenge is to find normal people to play with in WoW ;D ;D

did end-game content in 10 days? lolz gratz.. the new "achievement" is to do end game with sane people :P
    So true !

I have a (73) Paladin, (80) Death Knight and (71) Warrior, but none of them are tanks. I do enjoy tanking to an extent, but I've always had bad experiences with it, because I've had no desire to go full out tank spec. You know, those times when you tell people, "I'm not a real tank, so be a bit easy" and this was accepted and acknowledged before beginning but they still don't seem to realize. I'll most likely have a tanking spec as my off-spec when dual-spec comes out.

The only negative aspect for me about tanking is my general hesitation to use cooldowns. Although, last night as a Blood DK doing DPS in heroics, quite a few times I helped with some auxiliary healing, acted as an off-tank/add control and even had to take over tanking when the tank died (and defeated the boss in DPS gear ). Amusingly enough, not 10 minutes before that fight, I was thinking to myself, "You know, I should just remove these tanking oriented skills from my toolbar and streamline it a little bit better... there are just too many things on here!" Yeah, good thing I didn't listen!

Although I do not think that someone should have a haughty attitude about another player's choice as long as they can do their current task well enough. If you don't like it, mind your own business and don't play with them. However, ignoring their ability to contribute simply because you don't like their choice shows nothing but a poor and spoiled attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    start petitioning Blizzard to end their stupid gear discrimination system and stop bankrupting tanks for just tanking.
    They fixed this a long time ago as in vanilla WoW, plate cost more to fix. Right now plate gear does not cost more to fix point for point... but you must remember that last part... "point for point." Plate costs more per death for the same rarity and item level because you both lose the same percent of durability, but plate almost always has higher durability than any other armor type. Since 1 durability point costs the same regardless of the armor type (but the other factors must be equal), plate gets screwed because it simply has more durability. It has more durability because plate wearers (or tanks in this situation) are designed to be hit.

It would really take a fundamental change to the durability loss system to truly equalize costs from deaths. The only way I could think of would be to change it to a percentage system instead of point based. So that way, if the tank is at 72% from two wipes and just standard durability loss from being hit and other members of the group are around 78%, the difference between the two would be marginal.

I have played a warrior since Vanilla WoW Beta. I was a Tank for almost 3 years. I'm over it and just want to DPS, I'm sure many others would agree.

The evolution of the class system is probably the only really great thing that has come from the two expansions. In Vanilla shadow priests were pretty much nonexistant, there were a few, but priests always healed. Warriors always tanked, etc. For a lot of people that have played since then, being forced into a position for so long gets boring.

Also, I healed for a long long time, and really, healing is many times easier than being a really superb dps. There are exceptions of course.

If healing were more interesting than staring at grid and using clique then I may go back to it, but simply put, GH gets boring, and PoM loses its novelty over time.

Also its really cool just thinking about dps classes, I mean some people play because they are kids at heart not guys who take it waaay to seriously.

Sometimes you just want to make someone die with a disease or fling a lightning bolt.

I was a tank during BC. A feral druid tank.

Within 10 minutes of logging in I would receive at least 3 tells asking if I wanted to tank X or Y heroic. I was the OT (and sometimes the MT) for Kara, Gruul, Mags, SSC, the Eye, ZA and BT. And when the new badge items came out, I tanked again so everyone could get all the badge rewards they wanted. When they made other dps alts, I would tank for them so they could get geared as well.

Yet, when I wanted to bring my hunter or warlock for one of those Kara, Mags and Gruul that we had on farm status for months.... no one wanted to tank.

I'm talking about people geared. People that have been taking the tanking items for "off spec" and "when we need an offtank". People that had everything they needed from those places for their mains and which I tanked for 1 or 2 of their alts.

The first day of WotLK I made a DK. It's awesome. I love dpsing with him. Now when I log in I'm not bothered with "can you please tank for Z heroic?" True, it takes some time getting groups now. But at least now I know who my real friends are and don't need to help the assholes who only were there when they needed a tank.

What the hell is tough about tanking ?
    - knowing what to tank (making the difference between foes that must be dealt with true tanks and foes that can be situationally offtanked by other group members)
    - knowing when and where to tank (LoS issues, pats, being aware about abilities such as knockback / fear / stun / incapacitate / threat reset)
    - knowing when and where to move ('don't stand in fire', kiting, thinking 'one step ahead' in movement-intensive encounters)
    - knowing how to gear up for a specific task (mitigation versus avoidance versus threat-generation, being aware about EH / TTL)
    - having distributive attention and high situational awareness (aoe threat lists, taunts, reacting to the environment and the abilities used by foes)
    - being responsible (dead tanks and/or loose foes often lead to a result affecting a whole group, i.e. a wipe)
    not tough, just more demanding

being a regular tank is more demanding than being a regular dps, being a very good tank is... well, a challenge
    and this holds true (to a degree) even now, in this expansion pack that lessened the burden

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Windywoo
    When I get my paladin to 80 (actually no I think I will quit before then) ofc I will tank, and heal depending on the gear.

This bullshit that you pay for the game and can choose how to play, how fucking simple minded. This is the shit that turns battlegrounds into zergfests, makes PuGing any 5 man except the daily almost impossible.

WoW is based around playing as a group, and any tard who thinks because they pay a tiny amount each month they are allowed to ignore that should play Quake.
    :'(

Grow up. I'm not in WoW to make your play time fun for you. I'm in WoW for my own entertainment. If I don't find tanking entertaining then I won't tank. What a spoiled child...
    Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. As a matte of fact, just don't throw stones at all. They hurt.

Adding another tank class isn't going to significantly change the # of actual tanks in the game because the limiting factor was personality type, not class mechanics.

Main tanks are de factor leaders of a situation, be it a PUG or guild raid. Tanks manage the boss for the most part, which is usually the important aspect of an encounter (not always however, like Heigan). There's a responsibility that comes with a raiding tank job that people don't want.

25 man raid. 6 healers, 3 tanks, 16 DPS. If 1 DPS is out of position or screws up the fight mechanics, it's not a big deal. If 1 tank screws up, it's a wipe for 25 people.

Add to that the complex gearing situation with for tanks and i'm not surprised that adding DKs and improving warrior/pally playability did not add much in terms of actual tanks. It ended up just creating a LOT more melee DPS, as the buffs to those classes drew more DPS players.

Here's the formula for understanding your tank avoidance stats:

Code:

1   1   k
    --- = --- + ---
     Ad  C   A

Where
    A is the amount of avoidance before diminishing returns
    c is the cap for the avoidance stat
    k is the constant for your class
    Ad is the amount of avoidance after diminishing returns are applied (how much your avoidance actually increases)
    Everyone has that memorized right? Awesome, just do that in your head every time you get a piece of gear for all 4 avoidance stats and you're set!

For my Ret Pally, here's my formula
    Code:
    GET STRENGTH
    GET CRIT

Quote Originally Posted by taek
    Here's the formula for understanding your tank avoidance stats:
    1 1 k
    --- = --- + ---
    Ad C A

Where
    A is the amount of avoidance before diminishing returns
    c is the cap for the avoidance stat
    k is the constant for your class
    Ad is the amount of avoidance after diminishing returns are applied (how much your avoidance actually increases)

Everyone has that memorized right? Awesome, just do that in your head every time you get a piece of gear for all 4 avoidance stats and you're set!
    Maybe you should do some research ahead of time to determine what drops you need for upgrades; instead of wasting everyone's time when something drops trying to figure out if you need it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
    So today, as I once again look for a tank for a heroic pug on my mage alt, I can't help but notice the number of Blood DKs, Fury Warriors, "dps feral" Druids and Ret Paladins.

If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons. I play a prot pally main and love tanking. After playing a T6 hunter and T6 resto sham in BC, I had to try something new, and I must say, tanking is fun.

Why don't you tank?
    pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Zun
    I was a tank during BC. A feral druid tank.

Within 10 minutes of logging in I would receive at least 3 tells asking if I wanted to tank X or Y heroic. I was the OT (and sometimes the MT) for Kara, Gruul, Mags, SSC, the Eye, ZA and BT. And when the new badge items came out, I tanked again so everyone could get all the badge rewards they wanted. When they made other dps alts, I would tank for them so they could get geared as well.

Yet, when I wanted to bring my hunter or warlock for one of those Kara, Mags and Gruul that we had on farm status for months.... no one wanted to tank.

I'm talking about people geared. People that have been taking the tanking items for "off spec" and "when we need an offtank". People that had everything they needed from those places for their mains and which I tanked for 1 or 2 of their alts.

The first day of WotLK I made a DK. It's awesome. I love dpsing with him. Now when I log in I'm not bothered with "can you please tank for Z heroic?" True, it takes some time getting groups now. But at least now I know who my real friends are and don't need to help the assholes who only were there when they needed a tank.
    So all your guildies are assholes and you repay them in kind. What a great time you have have playing this game.

I'm a healer on my priest and ever since rolling heals loved it, my druid is now a tank and properly spec'd after my staff dropping yesterday and I'm loving tanking hate the pressure since I'm still new to it but other than that it's awesome! And my druid has a fairly good resto set when needed I respec to resto healer needed just missing healing trinkets xD

I'm over fighting for top DPS, I'm the guy who maintains their lives!
    Some people are like Slinkies
    Not really good for anything
    But they still bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down a flight of stairs.

I rerolled a paladin which is now 62, I was planning on making him holy but at level 32 or something i went prot and haven't respeced once. Being prot is amazing, free mongoose , loads of hp, get into all the runs, my dmg is always good and end up for or second. I can take on elite mobs solo, and i can take on 5-7 non caster mobs by myself easily. I will most likely stay prot at 80. I find it really fun for some reason.

Plus I'm addicted to melee. rogue warrior dk paladin feral druid all 50-80. What can I say XD

I don't tank because I'm not an asshat that rolled a hybrid class with the sole intent of DPSing.

I rolled a DPS class.
    Malfeas - 80 Human Mage

Quote Originally Posted by malfeas
    I don't tank because I'm not an asshat that rolled a hybrid class with the sole intent of DPSing.

I rolled a DPS class.
    Try tanking before you judge others on not wanting to...asshat.

Tell that to the DK I rolled with the sole intent to tank.
    Malfeas - 80 Human Mage