Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Creative use of the Doomguard

So I've ben playing around with the Doomguard post 3.0.8 and beeen seriously impressed. It is basically just a bif DPS increase for an affliction lock on the big damage fights (Patchwerk blah blah).

But then my guild moved on to 4HM in the Military wing and I had an idea. There were 2 locks in the raid and usually we act as the "Back runners" switching between the holy and shadow bosses to soak up the hits. That was easiest when we were Soul LInked with fail hybrid specs, but now we have both gone down the "pure" specs (him Destro me Afflic) and so we can't soak up as much damage as before. Now I know that it is not NEEDED and we could have survived just fine (with a bit more heal than before) but I had an idea of us both getting out our Doomguards to run with us and take the Holy and Shadowbolts from the bosses.

It worked better than I could imagine! Both Doomguards had over 45k HP, and so the bosses could hardly scratch them - the healers we had assigned to them could just watch redtube on a different monitor . This also freed us up to play alot less defensively and actually open up on the bosses whilst the raid killed the Physical damage ones at the other side of the room.

So yeah I was just wondering if anyone else has found any raid environments where the doomguard can be used nice and effectively, especially in a role you wouldn't normally have thought of.

x

Re: Creative use of the Doomguard

Quick question, in the new patch when u do ritual of doom. Does someone still have to die and how long do u have control and do u still have to enslave. Cause the pain back in the day was even after summons u gotta enslave and once enslave he broke every say 2 mins so it wasn't worth it in a raid situation to have a doom guard on the loose casting cripple on the tank. But has alot changed. (i havent used ritual of doom since wotlk)

Now the enslave lasts for 15mins (and is automatic, ie when he spawns he is friendly). The pet will stay around for 15mins too (long enough for 2 bosses).

Also someone doesnt die, it just hits them for roughly 12k (I think it is the damage = to a CoD + SP)

Oh thats dope..... Well in that case being that most boss fights last between 3-5 mins depending on the skill of your group. It can be used as an off tank if your group is short or and off dps. Ive even heard of runs where u have alot of people with pets( i.e bm hunters, unholy dks and so forth) dps down certain mobs while the rest of the raid moves forward

im new to lock, some more Q bout doomguard..

auto last for 15min? so meaning the tooltip of the spell is wrong?? http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=18540

what about curse of doom? does it auto enslaved? and if it does, how long will it last?

last Q, does it auto despawn after e time limit? or it will turn crazy n wack you?

Quote Originally Posted by summersnow
    im new to lock, some more Q bout doomguard..

auto last for 15min? so meaning the tooltip of the spell is wrong?? http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=18540

what about curse of doom? does it auto enslaved? and if it does, how long will it last?

last Q, does it auto despawn after e time limit? or it will turn crazy n wack you?
    Thats an old tooltip.

Curse of doom does not auto-enslave, you need to enslave the summoned doomguard before he owns you, so it lasts up to a max of 5 mins (enslave demon).

Sometimes it vanishes when the time is up, sometimes he runs away like a crazy and vanishes, sometimes he attacks you again, kinda random tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Fannyd
    So I've ben playing around with the Doomguard post 3.0.8 and beeen seriously impressed. It is basically just a bif DPS increase for an affliction lock on the big damage fights (Patchwerk blah blah).

But then my guild moved on to 4HM in the Military wing and I had an idea. There were 2 locks in the raid and usually we act as the "Back runners" switching between the holy and shadow bosses to soak up the hits. That was easiest when we were Soul LInked with fail hybrid specs, but now we have both gone down the "pure" specs (him Destro me Afflic) and so we can't soak up as much damage as before. Now I know that it is not NEEDED and we could have survived just fine (with a bit more heal than before) but I had an idea of us both getting out our Doomguards to run with us and take the Holy and Shadowbolts from the bosses.

It worked better than I could imagine! Both Doomguards had over 45k HP, and so the bosses could hardly scratch them - the healers we had assigned to them could just watch redtube on a different monitor . This also freed us up to play alot less defensively and actually open up on the bosses whilst the raid killed the Physical damage ones at the other side of the room.

So yeah I was just wondering if anyone else has found any raid environments where the doomguard can be used nice and effectively, especially in a role you wouldn't normally have thought of.

x
    I would recommend you do some research on hybrid specs before you call them fail since they do just as much damage as full destro...see wowhead.com and elitestjerks.com

I tank Shadow caster doomguard tanks holy caster switch at 3 stacks 1 resto druid in back healing and 1 extra dps on other bosses

so there are 2 conflicting reports here, and im to lazy to go to the dummy's and wait 1 minute for my curse of doom to detonate.

So u CoD, and does he spawn every time now, or is he a still chance on detonation?

when he does spawn is he friendly or do u have to enslave him?

if he is friendly how long does it last, and if u have to enslave him how long does it last?

there are 2 posts here that seem to be the exact opposite information

Quote Originally Posted by Bambikiller
    so there are 2 conflicting reports here, and im to lazy to go to the dummy's and wait 1 minute for my curse of doom to detonate.

So u CoD, and does he spawn every time now, or is he a still chance on detonation?

when he does spawn is he friendly or do u have to enslave him?

if he is friendly how long does it last, and if u have to enslave him how long does it last?

there are 2 posts here that seem to be the exact opposite information
    Here is actual spell description:

Begins a ritual that sacrifices a random participant's health to summon a doomguard. The doomguard must be immediately enslaved or it will attack the ritual participants. Requires the caster and 4 additional party members to complete the ritual. In order to participate, all players must right-click the portal and not move until the ritual is complete.

thanks! im guessing that this is something new? cause i remember it being from when u had to use a CoD and when that went off it had a CHANCE to summon the doomguard... does every1 get this or just certain specs? my realm has been a "rolling restart" for the past hour and can't get back on

Quote Originally Posted by Bambikiller
    thanks! im guessing that this is something new? cause i remember it being from when u had to use a CoD and when that went off it had a CHANCE to summon the doomguard... does every1 get this or just certain specs? my realm has been a "rolling restart" for the past hour and can't get back on
    Ritual of Doom has been in game for some time...at least in BC.
    Not sure if you can just get the summoning spell now but you used to have to do the quest to get this spell.

if im right the quest starts in blasted lands somewhere in the north of the zone where lord kazzak was in vanilla wow until he went trough the dark portal
    All men…are NOT created equal! Some are born smarter, or more beautiful, or with parents of greater status. Some, by contrast, are born weak of body or mind, or with few, if any, talents. All men are different! Yes, the very existence of man is discriminatory! That's why there is war, violence and unrest. Inequality is not evil. Equality is! - Emperor Charles zi Britannia

Quote Originally Posted by Dralai
    if im right the quest starts in blasted lands somewhere in the north of the zone where lord kazzak was in vanilla wow until he went trough the dark portal
    I believe you are correct...you could check wowhead.com or thottbot.com to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Definition of ElitistJerks:
    Posterone says "A"
    Everyone says "A"
    I personally do not like elitist jerks either...but they do show the numbers.

Elitist jerks is actually ur dps on paper, its different in reallity tho =P
    All men…are NOT created equal! Some are born smarter, or more beautiful, or with parents of greater status. Some, by contrast, are born weak of body or mind, or with few, if any, talents. All men are different! Yes, the very existence of man is discriminatory! That's why there is war, violence and unrest. Inequality is not evil. Equality is! - Emperor Charles zi Britannia

u successfully tanked the knights on normal or heroic difficulty? how much stamina do u get btw for him to reach 45k hp?

thx =]

btw the new spell is this one - http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=22987 - it does auto enslave and lasts for 15min after which he just despawns.

The level 60 quest was this one - http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=7583 - the end of a chain and actually quite hard to do without a raid to help you clear the place. I died plenty of times till I finally got a doomguard far away enough to complete the quest. So you pretty much always had the chance to summon a Doomguard whenever you wanted (with 1hour of cooldown). The CoD was changed with patch 3.0 from a chance to summon a doomguard when the curse kills the target (that must provide xp or honor) to 100%. Doomguard war stomp could be pretty damaging when he spawned in the midle of a raid environment.

Well I and other lock have tanked those two horsemans with felhunters many times.. I can even heal it by myself. 8)

i feel so retarted for not knowing about this ..... im going to do this immediately lol....

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Dralai
    This is correct. U were able to get the doomgaurd pretbc aswell. As i did ^^
    Only thing is that you needed some help from friends/guild to complete the q's.