Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Only pally - kings for raid?

Here's the deal...

I'm currently the only raiding pally in my guild. As of now I'm spec'd 51/5/15 Holy for the simple reason that our MT thinks he needs kings over me getting my extra crit% out of the ret tree.

We do have a Ret pally who just rejoined the game and is leveling to 80 now. The question is, do I keep kings and continue to be the kings bitch and less of a healer than I should be until the Ret hits 80 and is geared enough to raid or do I dump it now for a more conventional 53/0/18 build and heal better.

Current armory here for reference:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...h&n=Dawnchaser

Re: Only pally - kings for raid?

3% crit is nothing compeared to one of the (if not the strongest) buff in game. The retpala will take some time to gear up, and who knows, might not be 100%, so id say stick to 51/5/15 for being as good a healer as posible, and stopp bitch about you loosing 3% crit.

Most guilds would prefer an overall raid buff that increases not only HP but general DPS than one person gaining 5% crit. It's not even arguable.

10% increase to stats outweighs 3% crit any day. That and if you have any dps warriors in your raid group... you in turn have 1 buff and 1 buff only to hand out. So skipping on kings which increases dps/health/crit(even if not by much) is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Inept
    Most guilds would prefer an overall raid buff that increases not only HP but general DPS than one person gaining 5% crit. It's not even arguable.
    3% and agree

Oops, my bad. 3/5 :P

Every guilds need Kings. Cant argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser
    Here's the deal...

I'm currently the only raiding pally in my guild. As of now I'm spec'd 51/5/15 Holy for the simple reason that our MT thinks he needs kings over me getting my extra crit% out of the ret tree.

We do have a Ret pally who just rejoined the game and is leveling to 80 now. The question is, do I keep kings and continue to be the kings bitch and less of a healer than I should be until the Ret hits 80 and is geared enough to raid or do I dump it now for a more conventional 53/0/18 build and heal better.

Current armory here for reference:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...h&n=Dawnchaser
    You sound like you think your MT is wrong, but he is 100% correct. If you are the only Pally, the first 5 points you spend should all be in Kings - regardless of your spec. Holy, Ret or Prot. Period. A 10% buff to stats is huge for every class. Your DPS will hit harder, your tanks will survive longer and your healers will heal bigger and longer. Comparing all of that to a good but relatively dinky 3% increase to your crit rate is really a no brainer.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Wait for him to hit 80 then ditch kings.

Ret has the extra points to put into kings, holy doesn't.
    Food.

Quote Originally Posted by SFJake
    Its true that since you're the only pally... Kings is a much better boost... but I'm surprised that you're the only Pally. VERY surprised.
    Thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it. Overall I'm just frustrated due to advice on both sides of the issue (mostly by the non-pallys in my guild) and was just looking for a consensus. Hell, half of them are ho-hum about getting kings so part of me wants to just tell them to screw off and they won't get it. :

As far as being the only pally, well we do have several, but some are alts of players who would rather raid with their lock/shammy/deathknight/etc., some are just not interested in raiding for whatever reason and a whole bunch ended up inactive when their owner started their damn DKs. We have more death knights than we know what to do with and 1 holy pally, no prot and 1 ret at 71. Trust me when I say that our 10-man naxx raids are generally NOT what you'd prefer to have in your raid. Sometimes we go an entire weekend without a replenishment buff because we don't have the right class/spec. We were slammed by former guildies saying "I'll be back for Wrath" and cancelling their accounts half way through BC only to not come back, and of those pallys we did know who were coming back some just left or decided against it. It's very frustrating. A lot of it is internal drama that you all are familiar with and we'll work through it.

The standard ret spec involves getting kings, but if the ret paladin takes care of kings and keeps up the 3% crit buff on bosses then you should pick up imp BoM and buff that instead of him.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I'd say keep kings until you're sure your ret paladin is a definite member of your average raid.

3% crit isn't the end of the world.

Is your healing really suffering for that extra 3% crit? Hows your gear? Maybe make up for it with an elixir or food buff?

In all honesty, blizzard should man up and make it a regular class buff, 5 talent points for the buff is kinda lame. Or at least make it a 5% regular buff and have to spec for the extra 5%. That would make more sense.

Well I´m in the same situation only that I am one of 2 tanks in the raid.
    I do take Kings even if I don´t want it myself (rather use sanctuary especsially on trash but even on bosses)
    I simply have Kings because for alot of people it´s the best buff they can get.
    I think it´s sacrifices you have to do, it´s all about gain vs loss and when it comes to kings or no kings the gain from haveing it is huge compared to your personal loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel
    The standard ret spec involves getting kings, but if the ret paladin takes care of kings and keeps up the 3% crit buff on bosses then you should pick up imp BoM and buff that instead of him.
    Isn´t Improved BOM standard for most holy builds?

When the Tanks die just say "Well if my heal woulda crit he woulda lived so I should get more crit" lol i'm jk cus the same goes for kings giving him more hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground
    In all honesty, blizzard should man up and make it a regular class buff, 5 talent points for the buff is kinda lame. Or at least make it a 5% regular buff and have to spec for the extra 5%. That would make more sense.
    2 point kings would be sweet. I'd like to see them spread it around to another class (Sanctuary too).

Yeah because we need to get even closer to homogenization of the classes amirite? /falm

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril
    Yeah because we need to get even closer to homogenization of the classes amirite? /falm
    I agree, to much homogenization has happened already. Kings as a 5 point talent is just fine. It makes it so people work together to get all the buffs they need in raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by SFJake
    Its true that since you're the only pally... Kings is a much better boost... but I'm surprised that you're the only Pally. VERY surprised.
    I'm not. Up until now in this expansion it's been the same for me in my guild (we've just had a trialler come in, but we'll have to see how that pans out). We used to have a load of pallies, of each spec, up until the end of TBC, and then they all seemed to get bored and either quit or reroll to another toon (hello DK's!.)

I have a fairly similar talent spec to the OP, and yes I agree with the majority here, until that ret pally gets to 80 and can take kings off your hands, it's the best thing you can bring to provide an overall boost to your raid's performance. It hasn't hampered me in the slightest, and we clear most of the 25 man content in a couple of days now. When dual specs come out this'll be less of an issue I think, particularly with regards to soloing.