Retribution Offtanking

I've been offtanking alot lately (since I was geared for tank, before the MT got to 80), so I've been doing some thinking and trying to get a spec sorted to accomodate for offtanking without switching specs.

I came up with this spec:
    http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/ba...10302135231351

The only thing that worries me is not having Benediction. Other then that I would assume to have the same DPS output that I have with the 0/10/61 spec.

I would appreciate some comments on this. Or maybe a discussion ;D

Re: Retribution Offtanking

I offtank in full Ret spec. I don't have the mitigation of prot, but I can hold threat and my gear is decent enough to keep me alive.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm sure you'll do fine with your Ret/OT spec, but you probably don't have to.

(WTB dual spec SO MUCH)

Quote Originally Posted by eodem
    I've been offtanking alot lately (since I was geared for tank, before the MT got to 80), so I've been doing some thinking and trying to get a spec sorted to accomodate for offtanking without switching specs.

I came up with this spec:
    http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/ba...10302135231351

The only thing that worries me is not having Benediction. Other then that I would assume to have the same DPS output that I have with the 0/10/61 spec.

I would appreciate some comments on this. Or maybe a discussion  ;D
    Funny that u posted that, its very close to my spec

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=051218060204

That is the best one u can get to keep the most agro in ret. it can be played with slightly, but if you get a tanking set and are at D cap you will have about a 15% parry and dodge which is very good for a 2h ret tank lol.

Well lets just say that I'm Naxx25 tank ready according to gear. I'm just trying to get those 10% avoidance and 6% dmg reduction along with it . Not to worried that I can't tank, just want to offtank, and I have around 60% total avoidance with the new spec.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinnox
    depends how much off tanking you do. In Naxx 10 I was able to ot the first 2 spider bosses as cookie cutter ret spec with gear alone (25k stam, uncrittable) until out tank showed up. Later on when our ot fell down the pipe on the way to Gluth I was required to throw on a sword and board and ot the puppy which worked, just. I guess if you were intot he 25mans then you would want a more prot orientated build.
    I've MTd Naxx10 in normal Ret spec. In 25, we usually bring a few tanks, number isn't fixed, so it's nice to have an offtank for certain events. And after a bit of testing, it seems that the spec is just fine DPS wise. Just need to test it in 25 tomorrow.

I've MTd Naxx10 in normal Ret spec. In 25, we usually bring a few tanks, number isn't fixed, so it's nice to have an offtank for certain events. And after a bit of testing, it seems that the spec is just fine DPS wise. Just need to test it in 25 tomorrow.
    Naxx10 can be tanked whilst crittable for a good amount of it (done spider wing and Gluth before hiting 540), and had healers who hit 80 5 min before the raid do well in naxx10 - for most of the bosses it's a joke.

5% parry
    5% dodge
    9% total damage reduction

That's about what you're missing if you're tanking in a PvE ret spec (assuming gear swap). Completely passable in some OT cases but you need everything you got for Patchwerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    5% parry
    5% dodge
    9% total damage reduction

That's about what you're missing if you're tanking in a PvE ret spec (assuming gear swap). Completely passable in some OT cases but you need everything you got for Patchwerk.
    30% block, 30% more BV, 10% more AC, 14% more sta and 6% less spelldam reduction as well as those you mentioned - a good amount of mitigation/sta buffer there tbh, even if you can get the 10% pure and 6% of the damage reduction as a hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco cracona
    30% block, 30% more BV, 10% more AC, 14% more sta and 6% less spelldam reduction as well as those you mentioned - a good amount of mitigation/sta buffer there tbh, even if you can get the 10% pure and 6% of the damage reduction as a hybrid.
    And that's what I'm gonna aim for...

vindication doesn't work against bosses

after one of out tanks leave the raid i was MT in patchwerk in naxx 10 full ret gear, i need a lot of heal (about 1.500k damage in), but it can be made, OT in gluth and tank one of the adds in thadius

http://wowwebstats.com/zgeu3utbx36sw?s=232856-248221

you need good healers, but the agro is not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira
    vindication doesn't work against bosses
    Eeeh... what? Where did this comment come from?

Eeeh... what? Where did this comment come from?
    probably aimed at unholyground's spec, which is sub-par... skip imp ret aura and vindication, put 3 points into swift ret and the remaining one anywhere you like
    This space is available for rent!

No benediction will definitely be a strain on an already mana-constrained class. The other issue as I see it depends on your group make-up. If you're bringing a real ret to raid in addition to you, drop the 3 points in swift ret and put them in toughness or sneak 1 point into imp devo aura. Not sure about the 1 pt in PoJ either. To maximize DPS you'd put the full 2 points in PoJ or to maximize your tanking you'd put them where I suggested earlier. Of coruse, if you have a tankadin with you, this changes the scenario further to the point where maybe you should just stick full ret :P.

I made the spec with the knowledge that it is never certain to have either a prot pala or a ret pala in raid, or in worst case neither. That's why I made it chip in on some area's.