Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Creative priest suggestions

A few creative suggestions for Priests that are geared towards removing Meditation and giving each tree it's own unique flavor [currently tastes like chicken?.]

Holy
    The current landfall that many holy priests face in PvP and PvE is their inability to control burst healing. This is due to the random nature of the haste buff gained from Improved Holy Concentration.

Idea: Upon casting Holy Fire proc Improved Holy Concentration giving x% base spell haste for the next 2 Greater Heal, Flash Heal or Blinding Heal spells. Lasts 20 sec.
    Reasoning: This gives holy priests control of their burst healing.

Idea: Holy Concentration; Gives you a x% chance to gain x% regen upon a critical strike with Greater Heal, Flash Heal or Blinding Heal. Lasts x sec.
    Reasoning. This gives us a mechanic that will allow for a different flavor of mana regen for holy priests akin to a mini innervate.

Disc
    Discipline Priests lack the basic ability to properly stack in a raid group.

Idea: Critical heals proc Spirit Tap; Increases your total spirit by x% . For the duration, your mana will regenerate at x% while casting. Lasts x sec.
    Reasoning: This increases the value of spirit as a regenerative stat that is only effective while casting. It also gives us yet another flavor of mana regeneration.

Idea: Greater heal consumes PW:S, PW:B, or Divine Aegis and adds it to the total amount healed in the form of a HoT or by being directly additive.
    Reasoning: This simple mechanic solves disc priests being unable to stack like other healers within a raid setting. As a added bonus the healing will also show up on recount.

Shadow
    S.priests feel as if they lack a reward mechanic for spells like Dispersion and SW.

Idea: Vamperic Aura; All party or raid members within 45 yards of the Priest are healed by x% of the damage they deal. Only damage dealt to targets that grant experience or honor can trigger this heal.
    Reasoning: This gives a non-stacking buff similar to the Blood Aura a DK has which then gives us space for another health regen mechanic.

Idea: SW; Inflicts x to x Shadow damage to the target. SW heals up to x party or raid members totaling x% of the damage caused.
    Reasoning: This gives us a on demand heal that is more effective in PvP and adds value to including it into your rotation in PvE

Idea: Dispersion; Fades the caster into the shadow realm for x sec. Entering the shadow realm procs Greater Spirit Tap; Increases your total spirit by x%, reduces all damage taken by x%. For the duration, your mana will regenerate at x% while casting. Lasts x sec.
    Reasoning: The increase in spirit adds to damage and allows for a more viable escape mechanic in PvP

In closing I would like to note that these are only ideas. As such they should be slapped around like red headed step children till something useful comes out of them. \m/

Re: Creative priest suggestions

I can't comment on the other trees, since I've been shadow since day one, only to respec to holy 2 years ago and for about an hour for the Anathema quest. But I will comment to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bastion
    Shadow
    S.priests feel as if they lack a reward mechanic for spells like Dispersion and SW.

Idea: Vamperic Aura; All party or raid members within 45 yards of the Priest are healed by x% of the damage they deal. Only damage dealt to targets that grant experience or honor can trigger this heal.
    Reasoning: This gives a non-stacking buff similar to the Blood Aura a DK has which then gives us space for another health regen mechanic.

Idea: SW; Inflicts x to x Shadow damage to the target. SW heals up to x party or raid members totaling x% of the damage caused.
    Reasoning: This gives us a on demand heal that is more effective in PvP and adds value to including it into your rotation in PvE

Idea: Dispersion; Fades the caster into the shadow realm for x sec. Entering the shadow realm procs Greater Spirit Tap; Increases your total spirit by x%, reduces all damage taken by x%. For the duration, your mana will regenerate at x% while casting. Lasts x sec.
    Reasoning: The increase in spirit adds to damage and allows for a more viable escape mechanic in PvP
    Seriously, what are you talking about? We're no healers, we want to pewpew. If we wanted to heal, the other trees work more than fine so, why bother boosting that? And spirit as an...escape mechanic? ???

I for once would like to have a chance to get away when I need to. That means, I would have to somehow escape the one chasing me. Mages, for example can blink or freeze their pursuer, hunters can put people to sleep, rogues can blind, shammies can hex and so on. I would like something similar, that gives me the room to breath and regen, even for a few seconds. I'd gladly give up vampiric embrace for that. And please, don't even mention fear, since now, there are more than just one class practically immune to it and ironically enough, those classes are really painful (not to mention how much in trouble we are if we're alliance and facing an undead whatever, WotF ftw).

Why not be able to cast in dispersion anyways? We can still be silenced, stunned and cycloned so, what is it that could be oh so OP if we could cast? Disc priest do that through pain suppression. Or maybe keep the silence while in dispersion but grant x% extra speed for its duration, so we can at least get away for a while.

I really believe that we need a way to get away when necessary instead of boosting measly health regen abilities. Almost every other class has one, I don't see why we shouldn't have one too.

My main spec is shadow so i'll only comment on that... I dont see how your shadow changes increase my survivability against melee dps which is the major problem at the moment.

All the changes that allow me to heal my party don't really help much when im focused first and dead... what I need is the ability to survive long enough with 2 people beating on me while my partner is cc'd.

Firstly I think blizzard need to limit 1 class having chain cc... a rogues ability to sap and then blind a target if they trinket is OP, it gives them far too much time to wail on someone with a numbers advantage. As it stands priests have Psychic Scream and Divine Hymn on the same cooldown, if they found reasoning that it was OP for us to have both then where is that same reasoning for other classes?

I dont see how your dispersion idea helps, seems like it does the same thing as it does now but gives me a spirit buff... it already gives me 36% of my mana back, i'm not sure I need increases spirit as well. What I need is the ability to cast and as i've said many times allowing us to cast with a 90% damage reduction buff isn't OP... damage reduction isnt immunity... i can still be silenced, interrupted and cc'd. As it is now dispersion has too much of a drawback to use effectively... rogues in particular use the time to build up full combo points and then kidney shot when you end dispersion... snare removals aren't awful (which is the new change comming to dispersion) but when they can be applied so easily it's almost always put back on the moment it's removed. We need snare resistance or immunity during dispersion.

lastly they need to balance how many close range abilities melee have... rogues in particular have too many. They get sprint, deadly throw, vanish, blind (can be used at range), shadowstep (if that spec) and then they can prep and do it again if you're not dead (which isn't that often). If you want to give x class y closedown abilities then you need to give the ranged classes some what to deal with them... as it stands a rogue can start on top of you via stealth, cripple you and that's almost game over... there is little you can counter with.

I'd like to see the cooldown on our fear reduced, Divine Hymn removed from the same cooldown, the ability to at least cast defensive spells while under the effects of dispersion and making the SF damage reduction ability stack correctly with armor. That might go some way to allowing us to live long enough for our parnters to get out of chain cc to at least make the match 2 v 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    All the changes that allow me to heal my party don't really help much when im focused first and dead... what I need is the ability to survive long enough with 2 people beating on me while my partner is cc'd.
    I syopped after here please tell me one class that can handle a GOOD Rouge/mage in a 2v2 by themselves? i would love to know.No class can. Please if your gonna say somthing please make it some what intelligent.

As for the ideas im not sure about the Gheal consuming the shield.. seems really situational.

That was my point... we need changes to help us survive or you need to change everyones mechanics that completely nerfs or makes chain cc less appealing... because playing matches where my partner is cc'd for 10 to 15 seconds and i play 1 v 2 isnt' fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mage-you-look
    I syopped after here please tell me one class that can handle a GOOD Rouge/mage in a 2v2 by themselves? i would love to know.No class can. Please if your gonna say somthing please make it some what intelligent.
    I think he meant that we need the survivability not to take both of them out, but to at least be alive when the partner is finally out of cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    That was my point... we need changes to help us survive or you need to change everyones mechanics that completely nerfs or makes chain cc less appealing... because playing matches where my partner is cc'd for 10 to 15 seconds and i play 1 v 2 isnt' fun.
    Soo Spreists are the only ones that should be able to 2v1things? nerf the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandui
    I think he meant that we need the survivability not to take both of them out, but to at least be alive when the partner is finally out of cc.
    Agreeded the shadow changes seem abit underwhelming

Why not be able to cast in dispersion anyways? We can still be silenced, stunned and cycloned so, what is it that could be oh so OP if we could cast? Disc priest do that through pain suppression. Or maybe keep the silence while in dispersion but grant x% extra speed for its duration, so we can at least get away for a while.
    It's very simple, in this version of dispersion you don't turn into a fart cloud. you go invis in a manner similar to a mage and gain the greater spirit tap buff that decreases the damage you take by x%.

I'm not trying to feed the world here, i'm just throwing out ideas that may or may not give you a better idea to throw out there.

As for the ideas im not sure about the Gheal consuming the shield.. seems really situational.
    Not at all, when the tank is going in the downward direction with his health pool I PW:S, Penance, and cast a 1.8sec greater heal. Or I am just casting G.Heal since it is a effective use of my mana as disc with stopcasting. However I digress... The main thrust of the idea is to allow 2 disc priests to be able to heal the same tank and not be nerfed by the fact that they can not stack their shields on the tank.

It's very simple, in this version of dispersion you don't turn into a fart cloud. you go invis in a manner similar to a mage and gain the greater spirit tap buff that decreases the damage you take by x%.

That makes no sense at all...where's the difference to the current dispersion? Different animation and a different name? ???

That makes no sense at all...where's the difference to the current dispersion? Different animation and a different name? Huh
    You become invisible.. Here I'll even link the bloody spell http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=66 and you gain a pain suppression type buff on top of that.

You become invisible.. Here I'll even link the bloody spell http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=66 and you gain a pain suppression type buff on top of that.
    ...ummm...why have a pain suppression buff when no one's able to see you anyways?!

...ummm...why have a pain suppression buff when no one's able to see you anyways
    That would be due to the fact that you are invisible for 5 or so seconds, when you reappear the added mana regen and damage reduction come into play.

If concept of a team mate being able to lock one of them down after they have lost you as a target or reopened on you eludes you then please.. feel free to stop asking questions and give a suggestion on what you would like.

15+ Year Old Account

1 Word (actually 2): Poison Dispell
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    1 Word (actually 2): Poison Dispell
    I don't see how spamming poison dispell every 0,48738 secs is going to rescue me from the finishing moves, which is actually what kills me.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mandui
    I don't see how spamming poison dispell every 0,48738 secs is going to rescue me from the finishing moves, which is actually what kills me.
    1. You can heal for 100% instead of 50%
    2. You can cast with normal casttime instead of 60% more casttime
    3. You can actually try to run away when you're not stunned.
    4. You can actually use your mana for things like spells instead of seeing it drained in no time.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    1. You can heal for 100% instead of 50%
    2. You can cast with normal casttime instead of 60% more casttime
    3. You can actually try to run away when you're not stunned.
    4. You can actually use your mana for things like spells instead of seeing it drained in no time.
    By the time I'll be able to do all that, I'll either be oom due to the dispell spam or dead. Poisons are re-applied every time the rogue hits, so I'll most probably only be doing that and nothing else, since I have no chance of slowing the rogue.

Poison dispel for priests indeed, even if its talented into the spot where DS (or PW:Barrier) is seeing as thats going baseline, they made druids able to cast in all their forms, and gave shammies more dispelling - why not priests?

Its one of "the" things which screws us agains rogues and hunters, theres nothing you can do other than run off cause you go oom so fast (or a rogue just causes you to explode).
    I tasted bacon.. one day..

Poison dispel is not needed. You can't do everything, stop asking for things that'd make us counter everything. I am fine with having one or two classes that have some edge over me, but I hate having all of the melee classes having the edge over me.

With PW: Barrier, Disc will be even harder to kill now. Priests that know how to play discipline know how to sexually abuse pillars and hide from incoming damage and how to deal with Viper Stings.

The problem is that pounding on Shadow priest should be penalized in a way, either in terms of damaging the guy hitting the SP or healing the SP passively. We've seen that all of random stun procs are being removed, including Blackout. We could get a 1st tier passive talent that heals us on damage and procs removal of snares.

Dispersion should regen mana and HP, allow casting but lower the priests' damage for 30%, similar how pally's bubble work, with damage output penalty. While Dispersed, sp should be immune to interrupts such as kick so we can, finally, do some damage. Dispersion should increase the movement speed by 100% so we can get the distance.
    That means, the priest can still get trapped, cycloned, polymorphed or blinded so it's not an ability that'd make us go godmode for 6 seconds.

Critical hits on sp should make mind flay instant, with snare effect of 6 seconds on target. If by any chance all 3 ticks of MF would crit, the target would receive 9k damage, what after resilience would come down to 7.5k, still making the ability not that op since the average damage would amount to 4 - 4.5k, which is similar to mage's Arcane Barrage that's on 3s cd and usually crits for more.

Dispelling of vampiric touch in any way (clos) should be penalized by consuming 50% of the VT's damage and stunning the target for 3 seconds, or returning HP to the caster in value of the dealt damage (instead of stun).

Having the Fear on lengthy cd and being unable to utilise Divine Hymn, our fear should have a penalty for being trinketed or ending too early in the form of reducing incoming damage for 50% for the time that fear didn't last for. Meaning, if fear is trinketed in the 1st second - for the remaining 7 seconds damage is reduced by 50% (on the priest).

These changes would make us not so appealing targets for being nuked down. We should be CC-ed, and proper priests know how to break most of the cc by LoS or SW which would put us back into that "skill" bracket of playing.

I might have mentioned many changes, but if you realistically look at them, they're not out of the line of other classes.

Here are some real SP suggestions, posted on the class forums by Syanid-Jaedenar (not sure if these are his own ideas though):

1) Dispersion regenerates health and mana, like in beta. While dispersed, immune to snares, immune to interrupts (kick, pummel, strangulate, counterspell). Speed increased by 100% so we can run away.
    Able to cast, but outgoing damage is reduced by 40% while dispersed.
    While Dispersed, we can still be affected by traps, cyclone, sheep, blind, fear so the ability isn't OP one that grants us god mode for 6 seconds.

2) Seeing Blackout being removed, another talent should be implemented that heals us for the amount of damage received.

3) Vampiric Touch should have penalty for being dispelled in any way (clos, dispel, cleanse). 50% of the remaining VT's damage should be consumed instantly on the target, stunning it for 2 seconds. That's for people to think whether to dispel our dots or not, since they're most of our damage in an arena match.

4) Dispeling Devouring Plague should heal the priest in the amount of the damage that spell did while ticking. if we had 2K dmg done by DP before it's dispelled, we get 2K instantly back so people would think before healing us back.

5) Critical hits on the SP should make mind flay instant dmg spell, leaving the 3 sec snare debuff on the target. If by any chance all 3 of the MF hits crit, in PvP environment that'd be less than 8000 damage. Kick in some resilience, you'll get a spell doing 7k damage if the caster is extremely lucky with insane 10% crit on pvp gear we get. In the best case, we'd do around 4k damage with this move, which is still not in line with Arcane Barrage that's on 3s cd.

6) Breaking our fear should have penalty on incoming physical damage. For each second that fear didn't tick for, the target does 50% less damage. So, if the fear is trinketed in the 1st second, the remaining 7 (or 8, depending on your glyph) - the target will do 50% less damage.
    Even if half of this would be implemended, I wouldn't have to chew on my keyboard after every 2v2 match.

Disc
    Discipline Priests lack the basic ability to properly stack in a raid group.
    Idea: Critical heals proc Spirit Tap; Increases your total spirit by x% . For the duration, your mana will regenerate at x% while casting. Lasts x sec.
    Reasoning: This increases the value of spirit as a regenerative stat that is only effective while casting. It also gives us yet another flavor of mana regeneration.
    YES!

Idea: Greater heal consumes PW:S, PW:B, or Divine Aegis and adds it to the total amount healed in the form of a HoT or by being directly additive.
    Reasoning: This simple mechanic solves disc priests being unable to stack like other healers within a raid setting. As a added bonus the healing will also show up on recount.
    Except that the idea behind disc is to be about preventing and mitigating damage. 5k absorbed is just as well 10k healed, because they never saw the drop in the first place. And no, we don't need Recount, WWS, or anything else to justify our position there. Anyone who tells you otherwise is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Poison dispel is not needed. You can't do everything, stop asking for things that'd make us counter everything.
    Except that even with Poisons we wouldn't touch Curses, although in my opinion, if we can't get Poisons, let me be the class to touch Bleeds.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~