Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Alinaya

Are Protection Paladins viable as MT?

Heya!

So I'm thinking about going Prot on my Paladin, but If so, I'd like to be MT.
    But I don't have enough experience as Protection, so I don't really know, if Paladins are viable as MT.

I usually see Paladins as MT in the most guilds/raids - is there any reason for taking a Warrior over a Paladin as MT?

hope you can help me :I

Deleted

Re: Are Protection Paladins viable as MT?

I think it's just what the guild has at that point.. since Warriors can DPS lot's of them are DPS spec, same goes for Paladins.. heck even a lot of guilds have Ferals as MT Can't say why you'd pick a Pala over a Warr, Prot warriors just seem to have the most utility for every fight if you ask me..

Quote Originally Posted by Drazjar
    I think it's just what the guild has at that point.. since Warriors can DPS lot's of them are DPS spec, same goes for Paladins.. heck even a lot of guilds have Ferals as MT Can't say why you'd pick a Pala over a Warr, Prot warriors just seem to have the most utility for every fight if you ask me..
    True, Warriors has the most abilities to avoid the unnecessary damage.

our main tank is a paladin just because he generates an huge amount of threat in no time. his burst is like 3 times our warrior.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA - 23/03/2014 View Post
    Seriously. Someone bookmark this. If we go all the way from 6.0 to 7.0 and there is never a paid Garrison feature on the blizzard store, I will go to the store, purchase a hat and film myself eating it.

Paladins are fine as MT. I would go as far as the best MT class at the moment (provided that you know the itemization needed).

The only difference is that our 'Shield Wall' only gets 50% instead of the Warriors 100%. But that is easily dealt with.

I'm gonna explain why we are the better MT. It's actually really simple if you do testing ingame.

Paladins are more constant with their DMG intake. Warriors tend to be a little more spikey (Holy Shield affects this). Druids even more Spikey (though they have the HP to live through it) and DKs the most spikey.

Seriously I would go with Paladin on most fights, no problem what so ever. And besides nowadays we have about the same abilities as a Warrior, save that we bring in another blessing aswell.

Bring the Player not the Class fits nicely when it comes to Pala/Warrior tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Alinaya
    Is there any reason for taking a Warrior over a Paladin as MT?
    Ya, player skill. It's true that their abilities differ and make for different utility in different fights, but in the end any good player can MT regardless of class. In my guild me(tankadin) and a warrior keep switchin MT and OT position depending on the boss. But we could each MT all bosses if needed, and that's what matters.

My main is a prot warrior and the MT of a end-game guild. We also have a feral and pally tank. All of us can MT any encounter thus far. Easy mode.

Prot paladins actually take the most consistent, least spiky damage of any tanking class. They're the only ones right now, because of Holy Shield (which provides 30% block and can be kept up generally indefinitely) who can become "block capped". The block cap is what used to be needed to be uncrushable. Basically, what it means is that a prot paladin can get to the point where every attack that isn't dodged, parried or missed will be blocked. Prot paladins also do insane amounts of threat right now.

i run with a prot warrior and a pally, im a dk tank,

now i do not agree with dk's being the most squishy tank. i think you need to l2do your mitigation rotations or get better trinkets either way.. its normally me or the pally who MTs most encounters (except patch becuase the warriors hp is only 35k buffed) vs my 42k and the pallys 40.5k

i have tanked most encounters in the game, (minus 2+ drakes in 10man) with the pally and atm i think we should wait till ulduar to see who really shines

Quote Originally Posted by eodem
    The only difference is that our 'Shield Wall' only gets 50% instead of the Warriors 100%. But that is easily dealt with.
    Shield Wall is 60%, not 50%. If it were 100%, the Warrior would probably lose aggro like with Divine Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Srslikekara
    now i do not agree with dk's being the most squishy tank. i think you need to l2do your mitigation rotations or get better trinkets either way.. its normally me or the pally who MTs most encounters (except patch becuase the warriors hp is only 35k buffed) vs my 42k and the pallys 40.5k
    Spiky != squishy.

That said, any of the 4 tank classes should be viable to MT, assuming they have the gear and skill for it.

What really needs to be asked is, are you just planning to take some other guy's spot, or are you actually being offered an MT spot for going Protection? You don't get to be the MT just for speccing prot, every MT I've known has put in a lot of time and effort to earn that position.

I main tanked all the progression kills in WotLK. Sartharion, Malygos, Kel'Thuzad and so on. All in 25 to be sure.

Can we be the maintank? Sure. But if you want to be the maintank you need a lot of trust from everybody. You need to show up more. You need more preparation.

Usually a guild picks only player they know as a maintank. So if you want to be a maintank you should look for a new guild.

No guild in the world will pick you as there maintank instead of there warrior that is tanking for them since 2006 because you can threat 10% better or faster or anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Alinaya
    Heya!

So I'm thinking about going Prot on my Paladin, but If so, I'd like to be MT.
    But I don't have enough experience as Protection, so I don't really know, if Paladins are viable as MT.

I usually see Paladins as MT in the most guilds/raids - is there any reason for taking a Warrior over a Paladin as MT?

hope you can help me :I
    if you have to ask this question then no, you're not viable as MT

At the moment, any of the tanks can be MT for guild, there is no fight that favors one class or another with the exception of Sarth +3 encounters.

Some advantages of each:

Druid - Stam, Armor...easy to stam up for encounters where you just have to hold, no Defense Rating issues
    Death Knight - Stam, Armor, wide assortment of cooldowns for "Oh Shit!" situations
    Warriors - Wide assortment of abilities make excellent progression tanks, also great at minimizing damage
    Paladins - Only class that can become Block Capped, meaning they will never take a full hit from a boss

As a paladin tank, if you do it right, you will find yourself requested to tank alot of stuff, however you'll need to get the trust of alot of people to be MT, and you'll need the gear to do it as well.

You can't just decide..."Oh, I'm gonna be MT"

/r
    Dal

I've always been comfortable the most when there is a prot pally tanking, no matter what type of content it is.
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

Quote Originally Posted by Holyana
    I've always been comfortable the most when there is a prot pally tanking, no matter what type of content it is.
    I hear the same of my guild. Like "If you tank, I can just perfect my rotation and don't wory about anything. If xyz tanks, I have to watch omen and do stops".

Also healers like me a lot. I'm block capped and that means the incoming damage is very steady (same with a druid I suppose). Especially a DK who makes one mistake in his Avoid Rotation can get owned very very fast..

Quote Originally Posted by Srslikekara

I think your numbers are a bit off there chief, there is NO way you can get close to 42k hp when you have only 27k ish unbuffed. thats just silly lol

And at the moment, pallies can do anything a warrior can but most of the time its a situational decsicion as to whether you need a pally or warrior tank. Both will work though in any situation in the game for now.

In Naxx 25 I usually tank along with a warrior and a DK. On fights where we don't need 3 tanks, it's usually a /rand which decides who will MT it...

DKs have a cooldown skill to increase there HP for a short time. Like the warrior's last stand. But it is very funny to say they have it permanently

My HP fully buffed is now close to 43k (42,7? I still miss the T7.25 gloves) IF I wear max HP (Malygos.25 is a fight in which I wear it). I can post my armory, but I wear a +Dodge Trinket instead of the second +111 Sta Trinket.

I maintanked Illidan (and Kael'Thas and Vashj and some other BT/Hyjal Bosses) on our progression kill pre 3.0 so it was possible. On my server the best alliance guild (not mine *g*) had the whole BC with a paladin MT and the cleared all the contend pre 3.0. (I think ROS P2 they did with a warrior, but P3 was Paladin anyhow *g*)
    -------------------------

But since 3.0 the philosophy of Blizz changed. Now they want 4 tanks who can all MT all of the content. Which is nice for every Paladin who wanted to MT.

I've MT'd all the content so far in BC and WotLK. (Including stupid mechanics like RoS P2.) Harder in some cases, but still doable.

I think Archimonde might have been the hardest to tank as a pally. (Tremor totem FTW)

Chronalis: We made fine tanks Pre-3.0 just had to work harder on some fights. Healers had to get used to the more constant stream of dmg vs big spikes like a warrior. Pre-3.0 I was putting out a solid 2k tps which at the time was pretty damn good. *sigh* that was back when holy spell dmg was king and uncrushable was the target.