Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Protect pally winning Damage done and DPS :S

Quote Originally Posted by Zenzimer
    Well, as a tank, you have to be well geared, and generally a tank will get better gear than others as instance runs depend entirely on the tank. So generally you will beat 70% of the dps out there until you go raiding. When I do 5 man heroics I end up at about 1400 dps and am usually first on damage done, when I do 10 man nax or 25 man runs I usually end up 6th on dps (5dps 2 tanks 3 healer build) with around 1500-1700 dps and some crazy feral druid hitting 4k single target dps. You also have to consider that for trash pulls, your gonna get the first 5-6 hits off. Your shield will probably deal an instant 5k damage, then your conc starts ticking and your hammer hits 3 more targets, then dps usually starts, after you have already done about 20k damage, which really adds up in the long run.
    Huh? Instancerun depend entirely on the tank?

Yes it´s true that tanks will often have better gear because YOU HAVE to. A dps can jsut sneak in as newly dinged 80 and run heroics, it´s not so easy for a tank. As a tank you have tho choose heroics from what you think you can handle depending on healer and so on, not on what loot is in there.

Tankadins can top overall dmg done, depending on what instance and so on. In BC I toped quite a few Shattered Halls hc for example and I´ve toped UK hc in LK. It depends entirely of on the mobs, if there´s alot of Melee you have a shot and in places like UK with none elites that hapens to be undead. Same goes for trash in Nax. I probably oud dps our affliction locks with quite alot on the trash (I don´t have dmgmeters because I don´t find it important) but then I don´t expect to be cloose to the
    5,5-6k DPS they do on PW.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd
    actually, it wouldnt be that far fetched for a prot paladin to do 6k dps on a short fight, with a lot of mobs.
    ....this was in Hall of Lightning where there are no 10-15 mob pulls. And he said it was at the first boss, meaning that it wasn't just a spike of damage but rather a collection of damage over each mob pack (3-4.) To still have 6k dps by the first boss means that he was either averaging 6k dps, had more than 6k dps and it was averaged out to 6k, or, as is 99% more probable, he is just talking crap. Especially with the lack of a SS

I will belives this when he posts his combat log to examine. One not obtained from a private server.

I call BS

I would like to see you get a SS of you doing half that DPS :P

on single target i'm usually seen meters saying i'm 2.4 - 2.5k DPS and by the end of the run (irregardless of heroic/10/25 man) i'm in the top 2 - 6 (respectively, 2 for 5 man, 3 for 10 man, and 4 - 6 for 25 man.).

I'm thinking a lot of it has to do with Consecrate + HotR. That, and if we are tanking, in a 10+ man, we're almost never mana starved, or shouldn't be.

Also, yes BV, i have 1750+ unbuffed, (yes a retardly high number) i stacked almost nothing but it, because in 10+ mans i'm over the cap, after diminishing returns. I stopped running SCTD, or the ingame combat text, so i'm unsure of my larger SotR hits, but i'm sure they are up there.

I'm gonna ask the obvious question no one else has.

Do you have the Essence of Gossamer equipped, or did you?

there is a bug in it, which results in insane hits, Blizzard still has not nailed this bug down afaik.

I know because I had it happen to me on Thaddius, it proc'd, I hit for insane amounts.

If you did, thats where you seen the skewed results. Hitting a trash mob for 10-15k is not unheard of, and WWS reports have been produced to show this occuring.

But other than that, its just not feasible for an entire run. There's no tank that can put out that kind of DPS for a full run of anything, more or less a 5 man.
    I play the class in WotLK that is the worst spec class, that got nerfed, while all the other spec's got buffed. Which class is that? All of them of course...if you believe forum posts

I've had that trinket for months now, and i've yet to see any insane numbers go off. I've even watched a druid tank get an insane number, twice in the same fight, (150k Maul crit, and then a 75k non crit of something else, both on Thaddius). I run SCTD, and i'm pretty sure i'd catch it, as i'm constantly watching for non blocked attacks (studying diminishing returns, etc.), that and SCTD just spams crits.

Either way, i've yet to see anything out of the ordinary with that thing on.

I never said it was a common bug. Its hardly that. If it was it would have been tracked down sooner and fixed, or at least by now people would know HOW to trigger it in a sense. i.e. drink a potion with the buff on and it bugs it, or what have you.

But it does occur, and it is the only logical explanation I can come up with for his insane #'s.

I imagine consecration alone would probably tick for 2000+ with that bug, and since its so random, most people wouldn't even really notice it, cept on a boss, where losing 150k in a blink of an eye would get attention.
    I play the class in WotLK that is the worst spec class, that got nerfed, while all the other spec's got buffed. Which class is that? All of them of course...if you believe forum posts

This isn't related to protection, but I remember one of our paladins doing a 240k fluke Judgement of the Martyr in a 25 man raid.. instantly killing him

Quote Originally Posted by Furs
    This isn't related to protection, but I remember one of our paladins doing a 240k fluke Judgement of the Martyr in a 25 man raid.. instantly killing him
    That can be done on Instructor's adds for a short period.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrada
    Group was slacking? Even if the group was good , I don't believe that a prot pallie did 6k dps. Hunters and warlocks don't even pull that in my guild and we are in the top 30 , and from looking at the OP grammar and other writing ability's , I don't think he honestly knows what he is talking about. OH MAN YOUR WINNING DPS AND DAMAGE YOUR WINNING SO GOOD!
    P.S
    6k dps at lvl 79? right...

Thats the point. It was already stated in posts above that 6kdps was exaggerated (second post, Offhand), its not possible at lvl 79, heck i'd be surprised if he did even 1000. Maybe his recount was bugged or he was reading it wrong, i don't know. I'm surprised some people really need this spelled out, just because it wasn't included in my earlier post. /sigh
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

Deleted

A lvl 79 can't by no means get 6k dps in HoL. No, not even on trash. Go out there yourself and try. I've tanked it dozens of times, both on heroic and non-heroic, I am quite well geared and all that. Before the first boss I usually pull everything I can and AoE them all down and I still am nowhere near 6k. Depending on the instance and group I am running with I average out at 1.8k-2k DPS, for a single fight I _might_ reach 2.6k.

Oh, as for damage done...tanks are usually the ones that pull all the trash so it's of course logical they usually get to do the most damage on trash also. But look only at boss fights; you will see tanks at the bottom. Yes, brains and common sense are supposed to be used. Unfortunately WoW seems to attract people lacking either one or both of those.

The *largest hit* I've ever dealth was 270k. But that was part of the boss gimmik at the end of the Razuvious fight when the adds get a debuff that has them take 1000% more dmg.

http://wowwebstats.com/5kvai4jyduqza?a=x479aa9#break

Otherwise the numbers are pretty standard at around 20k ShotR on Thaddius and 10k on everything else. I don't stack BV. I'm an avoidance build.

15+ Year Old Account

When i am on my 76 shaman and running groups i typically see Prot paladin over 1k dps and at the top of the chart with several dps classes under them.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

I usualy stay around 1600 to 1800 dps as prot tank during a hc run, if im mt in naxx i can go a lot higher, but 6k dps in a sub 80 party aint happening, your recount is broken.

For the record i often come higher than most pug dps on dmg done in hc's, but playing with guildmates who are geared I'm usualy barely over the healer. but playing with guildmates who are geared I'm usualy barely over the healer.