Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Leveling as holy

lvling holy isn't bad. I wuld just w8 till holy shock to spec holy but it isn't as hard as everyone thinks it is

i went 70-80 holy and i lvled at a decent rate
    i also did like all the achievements that i culd on the area i was lvling in and i still lvled faster than some ppl

well thats only true b/c i was BC raid geared ZA/SSC but it still isnt that hard

"Gnomes will win, by unleashing their secret, previously unknown weapon from deep in the bowels of Gnomeregan: Gnome druids. Those kittens and bear cubs will rip everyone apart."

I think people will be surprised how close Holy/Ret leveling. Most of your XP is from the quest reward, not the mob kills. A typical northrend quest like Bodycount is 16 mobs killed. An even con mob to a L70 is 930 xp, the quest reward is 25k. 16x930 = 14880 xp vs 25k. The extra speed of ret only applies to the smaller amount of 14.8k XP.

The other factor is that quests always require a certain type of mob (at best), and at worst involves travel/activities that have nothing to do with killing. A great deal of questing involves travel/searching.

When everything is factored together, the fact that Ret kills a mob in 8 seconds vs a holy in 12 seconds is not that significant.

Quote Originally Posted by taek
    I think people will be surprised how close Holy/Ret leveling. Most of your XP is from the quest reward, not the mob kills. A typical northrend quest like Bodycount is 16 mobs killed. An even con mob to a L70 is 930 xp, the quest reward is 25k. 16x930 = 14880 xp vs 25k. The extra speed of ret only applies to the smaller amount of 14.8k XP.

The other factor is that quests always require a certain type of mob (at best), and at worst involves travel/activities that have nothing to do with killing. A great deal of questing involves travel/searching.

When everything is factored together, the fact that Ret kills a mob in 8 seconds vs a holy in 12 seconds is not that significant.
    i'm gonna try to use your math against you a little bit...so you say that it takes only 8 secs to kill a mob as ret and 12 secs to kill a mob as holy
    16 means it takes 64 seconds total longer for you to kill those 16 mobs...and considering like you said that most quests net more xp then just pure mob killing then to say if there are around say 2,000 quests you do from 1-80 and maybe 30% of those quests are killing quests then it will take you around 10 played hours longer min as ret then holy...i'm not bothering to do exact math...so there may be a big +/- to that

I personally think Ret is the only choice until the mid-40s when you can really speed things up with Prot AoE grinding. I went from 10-42 as Ret, respecced Prot until I hit 70 and went Holy for healing. I just leveled holy 70-80 because with Holy Shock getting down to a short cooldown you can still do some nice DPS with enough spellpower.

15+ Year Old Account

Holy only becomes viable with outlands SP gear. There really isnt any gear to support it before that. Ret or Prot is the better choice until you can get a good set of SP gear.

There are no instances in early outlands 58-65 that a ret or prot in healing gear cant heal.

It is actually kind of sad that they gave Ret and Prot that much healing ability when there is a healing tree that cant fill in for either of those areas.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.