Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Sarth +3 Ret Paladin dps

ITT: alot of idiots thinking they are the leetest player in the world and dont needed to be hit capped to do more damage.

guys its great that you do 5k dps but hell you would do more dmg hitcapped.... and now stfu, youre the greatest wannabes out theres. and please if you dont care whats happening outside your raids SHUT IT because we dont care about your not so correct opinions.

to OP: there are better places out to get help than this site (which is frankly full of casual-pros). try elitistjerk, google. but its most likely a combination of gear/skill (aka hit issue, clicker, retardedmovement)

I guess my only response is this: Do any of you guys suggesting that you reach the hit cap at all costs play retribution paladins?

Nobody here's saying that reaching the hit cap is bad, or that hit is for scrubs and you can ignore it altogether. What we're trying to say is that other stats can outweigh hit, and that in some cases you'll hurt your overall dps if you go too far out of your way to reach the 8% cap.

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson

Nobody here's saying that reaching the hit cap is bad, or that hit is for scrubs and you can ignore it altogether. What we're trying to say is that other stats can outweigh hit, and that in some cases you'll hurt your overall dps if you go too far out of your way to reach the 8% cap.

QFT. HIT is great..... the problem is that hit is not readily availble on key pices of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson
    in some cases you'll hurt your overall dps if you go too far out of your way to reach the 8% cap.
    Huh? Dude come on, you have to be kidding.

My current gear setup just outweighs the value of hit rating.
    No, it doesn't. If you cap your hit, even at the expense of a couple precious str gems, your dps will increase on boss fights. Taking out a little str to gain hit does more than you understand. If you miss a swing for a potential 2k dmg (just using round numbers to be simple) then that is a complete 2k you lose. If every time you do hit, you hit for only 100 less damage because you dropped some str gems, you are still hitting at 1900 dmg with zero misses. Now hitting for 2k damage with several misses throughout your rotation would obviously cause you more dps loss, can't you see that?

Hit rating isn't necessary to do good damage.
    You're right, and I never said anything otherwise. I even stated, twice, that if you are happy with your damage output then great, it's your $15 per month. I am only stating that if you want to "maximize" your dps, you need to avoid any misses.

Please, complain more while I top damage charts. I'll take even more Joy in doing good damage with sub-par hit rating.
    LOLOLOLOLOL, you're a riot. Here's an idea, why not do "great" damage with your hit capped instead of doing "good" damage without being hit capped? And before you claim to top damage charts, let's take a closer look at your WWS charts. You only "topped" the charts on a fight or two, being beaten by a warrior and mages most other times. And on the general benchmark for dps output in Naxx, Patchwerk, you got your clock cleaned by 4 other players, one of which was a Shaman! The warrior on that fight beat you by 1200dps! And guess what - he is almost hit capped!!!

Please, for gods sake, do "not" listen to them people trying to tell you that u "need" to get hitcapped as a Ret pala. it's total bullshit. Only around 19%~21% of our damage are auto attack, so there's almost no reason to get yourself more then the (really needed) +5% hit to cap your styles. Everything more then the +5% is fine, but not necessary.

Once you are over your +5% hit, every Hit u stack over STR will result in a DPS loss, period.

Obviously, if you get free Hit through new equip, go for it. But never ever stack Hit if you could stack STR in that slot.
    By the way, you only have +3,38% Hit.
    And that is REALLY much too low. Go grab yourself some Hit to reach your +5% and you're fine.
    Also, even though your Hit sucks, you should be able to do at least 3500 dps on Sartharion. Maybe even 4000 dps
    So i dun know what your doing wrong with your rotation, sorry oO

where the fuck are u gettin 5% as special hit capped

Quote Originally Posted by veroz
    where the fuck are u gettin 5% as special hit capped
    u dun? oO
    Oh sorry for false information then ._.

Still, more then 170 Hit rating results in less DPS if you sacrifice STR for it.

contrary to what some people have said, you dont need to sacrifice gem slots for hit either. our guild's paladin doesnt have a single hit gem in his gear, but he still maintains 8% hit. death's bite is a good option to roll with if ur hit starved

Hate to quote Elitist Jerks, but I am going to anyway.

Quote:
    Stats (In order of importance)
    Strength
    Our best DPS stat, as we have various talents that multiply it's effect. 1 STR gives you 2 AP baseline, multiplied by 1.15 from Divine Strength (Tier 1 Prot) giving us 2.3 AP per STR when specced. This number is further affected by buffs such as BoK. You should be stacking as much STR as possible via gemming and so on.

Hit See Observations
    32.8 rating gives you 1% hit. At level 80, we require 263 hit rating, or 8%, to be hit capped on white swings, specials, and judgements. Note that Exorcism and Consecration are considered spells and use the spell hit table, thus we can still miss with these abilities. You want to be hit capped to maximize (and stabilize) your DPS, but any hit after the cap is wasted itemization points, so gear accordingly. Please note that with current gear itemization, hit capping is very difficult and it is generally better to have a healthy balance of stats. Generally you should not gem/enchant for hit.

Expertise
    Introduced in late BC, this stat allows us to remove dodges from the attack table when attacking from behind, as melee often does! You need 26 Expertise (214 rating, 6.5%) to cap this stat; much like hit, any expertise after the cap is wasted. Capping this stat is a significant dps increase vs uncapped (or none at all) as it affects our whites, strikes, and SoB. Similar to hit, capping this is extremely difficult to do without gimping your other stats given current itemization.

WHILE hit is very important, it is not THE stat that gives retribution it's most dps/stat point. Strength is and always has been the best stat to stack. While it's important to have it, you should never sacrifice it over additional strength. This doesn't mean that you should have NO hit. It just means that you should try to balance your stats whenever possible, but taking more strength (through gemming) over hit will always result in more dps.

15+ Year Old Account

Can really only say 1 thing to this, As Naxx related fights are capable of being done in as little as 1 minute, If Ulduar has a fight that requires you to sustain a high level of DPS me and my hit cap will be fine while you are your 150 hit will be hurting in a big way. Don't get use to 4PC being the end of your gear achievements. There is better gear that will break the 4PC but I can absolutely guarantee you that you will not hold on to 4PC in Ulduar and if you do you are going to be in bad shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

15+ Year Old Account

we dont know what t8 brings for us. heck, we dont know what ulduar will bring gearwise.

thought they made a blue post about t7 being not that good so they could make t8 better

i think we dont need to discuss that hitting hit- and expertisecap with ulduar loot and still going only for str will be easier than in t7 content....so talking confident like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Requital
    If Ulduar has a fight that requires you to sustain a high level of DPS me and my hit cap will be fine while you are your 150 hit will be hurting in a big way. Don't get use to 4PC being the end of your gear achievements.
    IS SIMPLY BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!!!!! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Infectid

Ummm, I'm a bit confused. You're saying that Retadins don't follow the same game mechanics as all other classes in the game? Wow, grats! All this time I thought hit caps were hit caps, now I find out that Retadins don't need to be hit capped to maximize their dps output. Retadins actually LOSE dps by hitting more often, I wonder if Blizz knows this.
    I don't want to take a position on the debate.

But I do want to say that the poster who posted this is very rude and has missed what the person he is attacking is saying.

When he talks about getting the hit cap not being good for ret pallys he is actually talking about itemization. Hit might > any other stat on a 1:1 scale but you would need to actually look at the 'best in slot' type items for pallys to see what the actual stats and amount of them you would need to sacrafice to get hit capped.

Looks like there is strong arguements on both sides for hit and str.

Can someone tell me why a training dummy wouldn't be a good idea for testing these 2 theories?

Is patchwerk the only way?

Quote Originally Posted by infection
    Looks like there is strong arguements on both sides for hit and str.

Can someone tell me why a training dummy wouldn't be a good idea for testing these 2 theories?

Is patchwerk the only way?
    coz on a dummy u lack all buffs for hit/str as well as all debuffs on the mob that could affect those 2 parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaster
    a similarly geared fury warrior was putting out about 1.5k more dps than I am.
    Wow your fury wawyuh must really fail, usually they do 2 times the DPS of #2..
    Stormreaver.EU

Ok I think that everyone has probably gone a bit off the mark here as far as answering the actual question is concerned

As yes, getting hit capped is a bit meh as far as increasing your dps is concerned

Rather I think that the problem here is you're likely not maximising your dps time

For melee on sarth drakes, you should have 100% dps time on the drake from as soon as it becomes targetable until it dies, so don't piss arse around with the dragon while you're waiting for the drake to land.

Moving from flame waves / void zones should only impact veryyyy slightly on your dps

Just ensure that when you move you jump so that if your finger for your next ability is also the same one you use to walk forwards etc, that you don't have to hold it down and can just press it

And position yourself so that for the flame wave where you do have to move, that you have plenty of time to see it coming and that when you do move, you can jump in a way which ensures you're still in melee range the entire time. Maybe work things out with the tank prior so that you know which way he will move too incase he accidentially moves the drake aswell as he slides around it

As yeah, I'd say that you're not maximising your dps time and that's what's causing your biggest dps loss

Other things which could be causing problems, is your hit rating but not as much as people seem to be suggesting

I think though, that something must be up with our rotations, as the fury warrior smashed you on patchwerk aswell and it was by more than your 7.5% misses that you had on that fight. Either that or he's simply a lot better than you are

Just another WWS to add to the "You don't need to be hitcapped" pile.
    http://wowwebstats.com/6aocuxuyryoaq?s=48733-86546

That was with 187 Hit rating. Being capped isn't necessary. I pull 5.8-5.9k every week, and when I do actually cap hit(I have pieces that'll get me there) I never hit as high as I do not hitcapped.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terokkar&n=Greatrichie