a few holy pally questions for holy pallys

I have been prot for as long as I can remember. Used to tank everything in BC and when wotlk came out I went ret to level and enjoyed it for the whole I 1-2 shot you if your not in plate w/ shield ;D but now I realize I can't find room in a raid guild as a prot pally cause they all have them so I went holy.

I can heal any heroics w/ my buddy who is a DK that isn't even def capped so I can do that fine, and I got a few 10 man naxx pieces and some crafted epics as well as a few heroic drops. so my gear isn't horible but I was wondering why it feels like I'm not doing it rite :-\

I generaly smap flash and holy shock if someone is low and I need to keep the tank up.
    beacon on the tank if there is lots of party damage
    holy light spam for those ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG moments

I was just wondering if any of my fellow pallys have a few words of advice for me and if I'm doing it wrong in any way just throw me a bone :-*
    Can't stop the train baby.

Re: a few holy pally questions for holy pallys

Hello Peladin.

Personally I prefer using Sacret Shield, it helps alot. The shield gets (I have heard) 0.75 per SP, so with a decent SP, it can help you alot.

Other than that, I personally do alot of Holy Light, since it heals everyone around the target, when you have the glyph for it.

We do lack some group healing, but you seem to get the Beacon of Light thing right.

Oh, and remember, we still have hand of sacrifice, which can help you alot when things gets too hard.

Hope it helps.

- Denisé.

Yeah, try and keep Sacred Shield up. It's very useful. Aside from that, try and stack intellect on your gear as much as possible. Get the emblem of heroism libram that reduces the mana cost of Holy Light, and use the glyph that reduces mana costs by 5% when Seal of Wisdom is up. With enough intellect, you can reach the point where you can basically spam Holy Light for entire fights. Now, you might not need to, and probably won't, but it can be helpful.

15+ Year Old Account

If you can heal any heroic so far, i don't see your problem. Maybe your bad feeling will fade if your baddy gets deff-capped

Quote Originally Posted by sainthubbins
    Yeah, try and keep Sacred Shield up. It's very useful. Aside from that, try and stack intellect on your gear as much as possible. Get the emblem of heroism libram that reduces the mana cost of Holy Light, and use the glyph that reduces mana costs by 5% when Seal of Wisdom is up. With enough intellect, you can reach the point where you can basically spam Holy Light for entire fights. Now, you might not need to, and probably won't, but it can be helpful.

crazy question, i currently have my gems socketed with SP gems, to push 2000 SP
    should i replace these gems with int gems?

yea I have to same problem, my int/mana pool is mad small, and here is a question, I kno holy light is a huge mana cost and if you have enough mana you can cast it for a while, but for an entire fight? does that include devine plea or what? cause I try to avoid useing it as much as posible unless there is no healing to be done
    Can't stop the train baby.

Yeah, that includes using Divine Plea practically on cooldown. Now that it decreases healing by 50%, this isn't really a good idea anymore. Basically, get to the point where you COULD spam Holy Light for an entire fight if you needed to (including using DP). You don't necessarily need to do it; I don't. It's just nice to know that you can use it freely when you need to. As far as gemming, I like to socket the intellect/SP orange gems, I believe the cut is called Insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by det
    As a former prot, you know ofc that there is no "defense cap". there is crit immune at 535 for heroics, and 540 for raids, but defense is beneficial even after that point.

With this bit of nitpicking out of the way, I agree that I also would like to see some consolidated guide on "How to". I mean...there is a load of detailed guides on tanking, 969 and threat generation..but things like when to use sacred shield and who to beacon / who to heal when xx is beaconed etc would be great.

Maybe it is because I come from priest healing, but so far Pally healing feels awkward...maybe that is why I like tanking more ^^
    The problem with a healing guide is that healing is all about reacting to what happens. As someone who has both tanked and healed Naxx, tanking is much more homogeneous from fight to fight. It's just: Pull the boss, position, 96969. Of course with some fights, like Gluth or Horsemen, it involves a few minor changed, but around those it's always the same.

Healing is a different beast. What I do for a fight like Patchwerk is entirely different from Grobbulus. On Patch, I just keep Beacon on the main tank and spam FoL, HL when necessary, on the OT. For Grob, the tank takes little damage. Generally my raid's resto druid'd HoTs can keep him full. I focus on healing people who get the debuff to full, making sure they're at max health before it releases and making sure they get back up to full afterwards.

A general strategy, as a paladin, is to spam heal the MT on fights with heavy tank damage, and otherwise react to the situation. If you're raid healing, keeping Beacon on the tank is immensely helpful.

Gemming for Intellect seems to work best for me, since Int triple-dips - bigger mana pool, some spell power, more mana from replenishment. (Also a bit of crit, but whatever.)

Put up Sacred Shield, Beacon if you expect AoE damage, and use the Holy Light glyph. Gear is mostly useful for improving your time-to-OOM, since you'll be overhealing with Holy Light most of the time.

Few tips...

Stack 16 int gems. With Divine Plea scaling right now, Intellect gives you four main stats: Mana, Spell Power, Crit, and MP5 (because of Divine Plea). It used to be where I would use Divine Plea when it was off CD all the time, but now you have to time it right on fights, and try and find that certain nitch where you can use it.

As for Beacon, it should either go on one of two people: tanks or you. I know placing it on yourself may seem odd at times, but in fights like Sapphron where raid damage is maximized, sometimes people you are healing are not always within 40 yard of your tank, so you place on yourself. That way if you get caught in a Blizzard, other healers need not worry, because all it does is require you to heal others.

My mana pool unbuffed is 23k I NEVER run OOM. Once you've done that you can pretty much spam holy light for all fights and never worry about mana. Only problems I seem to encounter mana issues are Sarth +Drakes and Sapphron.

Make sure you grab the holy light glyph, either seal of wisdom or seal of light glyph, and Flash of Light Glyph.

Also, to maximize healing I HIGHLY suggest using Grid + Clique for your healing add ons. I used to have healbot and I hated it. Once I switched my effective healing improved.

here is my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...regan&n=Wendon

I usually am not spec'd for kings and put the other 5 points into Pursuit of Justice and Sanctified Seals, but we needed it for Malygos the other night :P

If you know how to use bacon and know that holy shock is wonderfull, the last thing you need to discover is how great Holy light is now. When a pally gets out of the old mentality that we just spam FoL half the work is done.
    Glyph holy light to give it a small splash, get the libram to reduce it cost and if you have mana issues go for the glyph of seal of wisdom that reduce your mana cost by another 5%. Now start gemming for intel mostly, if its a blue socket a green gem fof int/mp5 and if its red an orange spell/int. Avoid spirit like the plague and dont be afraid to get cloth, leather or mail if you see the right stats.
    Example: if i remember correctly theres purple cloth bracers you can get from Wyrmcrest if you get exalted that are just as good as those from Naxx10 (just less armor).
    Sacred shield your MT is a must, it absorb so much by itself its great even if you arent using the 50% FoL crit bonus. Judging light is also a must especially if theres no other pally around, i've topped our healing done meter with JoL doing half my healing. If you use Divine Plea, LoH, pots and you still get oom before the boss dies ... then the problem might be that your dps is terrible or cant get out of the "fire".

Have fun.

IDK..I try to have a good amount of int and spellpower :| so I just do half and half

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ath&n=Alathali

I seem to do fine in both 10 and 25 mans. :]

I've been able to rely on holy light, while keeping beacon and sacred shield up, throughout any fight currently in game. Only fight I need to use Divine Plea on is 10 man 3 drake Sartharion, and I only use that after the 3rd drake has died. People tend to forget that if you have replenishment in the raid, it makes int even more amazing as replenishment gives you a % of max mana, I get 78 mana per tick when my greatness procs. Also, don't forget about Divine Illumination. If I ever hit 60% mana, I wait for the next greatness proc and spam Holy light as fast as I possibly can, usually takes me back up to full. Also if you're a Belf don't forget to torrent whenever it won't be wasted.
    Quelana - Blood Furnace

Stack intellect!
    Really the nr. 1 stat for Holy Paladins.
    1 point of int, is 1.25 with talents and kings, and each point of int = 0.2 SP
    It has also become the nr. 1 regenstat.
    Replenishment, Illumination and Divine Plea all benefits huge from it, and therefore it is way better than MP5 is.
    SP really isn't a problem atm. with Holy Light healing for such huge amounts.
    Make sure to keep up Sacred Shield aswell, and dont always use Beacon. The manacost is kinda high, so dont waste it.
    Also use the Libram of Renewal.
    Ok im new to hotkeying so im most likely doing something wrong.

I can hotkey alt to anything but the function keys. I can do alt+f1, f2, f3 but when i get to f4 it crashes my game EVERY TIME! Its annoying because I have to reset all my hotkeys cuz a game crash doesnt save them. Please fix soon!