Thread: tanking as a DK

tanking as a DK

ok i am new to this tank buissness- can someone help me w/ a good tank rotation as an 80 frost knight? ty ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrus
    Dear Dentarg-EU,

WTF?

Regards,
    Khadgar-EU

Re: tanking as a DK

Ok..First go read other tanking threads with rotations. Do a little homework before you post another worthless DK thread.

1. Frost presence and Def Capped.
    2. Have Death Rune Generation.
    3. Bind Rune Strike to all your Strikes (Frost Strike, Blood Strike, Plague Strike, Even Icy Touch).
    4. Run Heroics and Continue to tweak as you go along with gear etc.
    5. Use your CD's Accordingly.
    6. Profit and call yourself a tank.

/Teh End.

Ok i having a hard time deciding ive respeced nurmerous times and i am currently 13/45/13.

After doing some research and hearing good things about blood i messed with the spec with the talent calculater i created 2 specs 24/36/11 and 24/31/16, both linked here (http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=000000000000)
    (http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=112015050301)

Tell me what all you DK Tanks think about it.

Just my opinion, but based on my experience deep blood tanking is strictly inferior to frost in most situations. The one exception is fights like Sartharion with 2 or 3 drakes, where the real threat is the tank getting 1-shotted. Otherwise blood has less avoidance, less mitigation, worse AOE threat generation, and much much less burst threat generation. I tried it out and couldn't stand it. There are some people who swear by it, but I felt like I was threat-limiting the dps and found it unbearable.

10/51/10 is what I run. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    Can u link the tree?
    Dear Dentarg-EU,

WTF?

Regards,
    Khadgar-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    Just my opinion, but based on my experience deep blood tanking is strictly inferior to frost in most situations. The one exception is fights like Sartharion with 2 or 3 drakes, where the real threat is the tank getting 1-shotted. Otherwise blood has less avoidance, less mitigation, worse AOE threat generation, and much much less burst threat generation. I tried it out and couldn't stand it. There are some people who swear by it, but I felt like I was threat-limiting the dps and found it unbearable.

I use a 10/51/10 as well. So ill post mine its probably the same.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=111310050601

Armory link : http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...calp&n=Demeral

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=151611050401

is this worth anything? it's 18/45/8
    since dks are avoidance tanks, i figured it might be helpful to have rune tap.
    idk about the glyphs though
    Dear Dentarg-EU,

WTF?

Regards,
    Khadgar-EU

We're not avoidance tanks any more than other tanks are.

We have the second highest armor and our small amount of extra avoidance helps make up for the lack of extra mitigation from not having Block.

Rune Tap isn't necessary and isn't that great without alot of supporting factors (glyph's, 4 total points in it, and Vampiric Blood)...so take somethign else instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomexus
    Rune Tap isn't necessary and isn't that great without alot of supporting factors (glyph's, 4 total points in it, and Vampiric Blood)...so take somethign else instead.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=151011050401

what about this?
    Dear Dentarg-EU,

WTF?

Regards,
    Khadgar-EU

Quote Originally Posted by zukai
    Max out Black Ice...it's a large chunk of dps/tps increase over not having it maxed. Get rid of Death Rune mastery and Scent of Blood...RP generation is good enough without Scent and generating Death Runes by turning U/F runes into them doesn't help since most of your abilities will use U/F runes anyway...you want to turn Blood Runes into Death runes so you can use them for an extra Oblit/HB.

Tundra Stalker is also a very good talent...10% extra damage/threat and 5 expertise is awesome.

Alot of people have already posted solid tank builds for frost.

Blade Barrier, Bladed Armor, and 2h Specialization are about the only important talents in Blood for Frost Tanks...Anticipation, Epidemic, and Morbidity are the three main talents in Unholy.

Killing Machine, Howling Blast, Toughness, Black Ice, Blood of the North, Lichborne, Unbreakable Armor, Frigid Dreadplate, and Tundra Stalker are all pretty important in Frost...there's also big supporters like Improved Icy Touch and Glacier Rot.

Icy Talons is situational at best. For 10m content chances are good that increasing melee haste will only benefit 2 tanks and maybe 1 or 2 dps at most. For 25m content one of the shaman or another DK should pick it up. My personal opinion is that tanks should not try to spec for raid buffs, but instead spec for survivability/tps increases. There are some talents that will also buff the raid like Frost Aura...but spending 5 or 6 points as a tank to offer a raid buff can be tricky.

Click my signature picture for my build.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaervek
    I use a 10/51/10 as well. So ill post mine its probably the same.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=111310050601

Armory link : http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...calp&n=Demeral

Yeah, pretty much his build. Except I put my 2 throw-away points in merciless combat instead of frost aura. We have a ton of druids anyway so the extra resist wouldn't stack with GotW. Either way, it doesn't matter. Those points are pretty much just to get to the next tier anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomexus
    Max out Black Ice...it's a large chunk of dps/tps increase over not having it maxed. Get rid of Death Rune mastery and Scent of Blood...RP generation is good enough without Scent and generating Death Runes by turning U/F runes into them doesn't help since most of your abilities will use U/F runes anyway...you want to turn Blood Runes into Death runes so you can use them for an extra Oblit/HB.

Tundra Stalker is also a very good talent...10% extra damage/threat and 5 expertise is awesome.

Alot of people have already posted solid tank builds for frost.

Blade Barrier, Bladed Armor, and 2h Specialization are about the only important talents in Blood for Frost Tanks...Anticipation, Epidemic, and Morbidity are the three main talents in Unholy.

Killing Machine, Howling Blast, Toughness, Black Ice, Blood of the North, Lichborne, Unbreakable Armor, Frigid Dreadplate, and Tundra Stalker are all pretty important in Frost...there's also big supporters like Improved Icy Touch and Glacier Rot.

Icy Talons is situational at best. For 10m content chances are good that increasing melee haste will only benefit 2 tanks and maybe 1 or 2 dps at most. For 25m content one of the shaman or another DK should pick it up. My personal opinion is that tanks should not try to spec for raid buffs, but instead spec for survivability/tps increases. There are some talents that will also buff the raid like Frost Aura...but spending 5 or 6 points as a tank to offer a raid buff can be tricky.

Click my signature picture for my build.
    thank you
    Dear Dentarg-EU,

WTF?

Regards,
    Khadgar-EU

Single Target
    PS,IT,BS,BS,Oblid,PS,IT,Oblid,Oblid (I have runestrike macro'd to all those swings)

AoE
    DnD,IT,PS,pestilence,HB,BB,BB,HB

Or you could instead of PS after pestilence bloodtap and HB...

Spec wise I use 23-45-3 I main tank for the most part in my guild so I've been trying out many specs and this was the one I was highest with with when it came to threat generation on single target...AoE is abit lacking though.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...ckrock&n=Ickis