Any reason to use DS over PS+IT?

Been testing alot of different blood specs over the last few days on PTR, and no matter how i glyph i cant possibly get deathstrike to ever do more damage than plaguestrike+icy touch, it's not even close...

So why not use a 6 ability cycle over the usual ps - it - hs -hs - ds - rp dump

In all tests i've done PS - PS - IT - IT - HS - HS (6 abilities, 9sec cycle, quite tight but works) Has done more damage, oh and replace the two icy touches whenever you are above 80 RP for 2 deathcoils instead.

Anyone else tried this out? I really cant see how DS can possibly yield more dps really.

*edit* Oh and obliterate is the same deal really, to get it to be useful you have to get annihilation wich will lower dps even more, diseaseless obliterates simply dont work anymore and even with diseases it doesent deal that much damage, still less than ps+it even with glyphs and such.

Bananero

Re: Any reason to use DS over PS+IT?

Because you get Death Runes from it

Then you can HSx6

Quote Originally Posted by Bananero
    Because you get Death Runes from it

Then you can HSx6
    Tried it out and it's not worth it, the damage difference on the 2 DS needed for the death runes doesent make up for the additional damage of a few more HS.

kriS411

2 rune abilites basicly have the advantage that they save you a GCD.

so if you use 6 attacks per cycle + RP dumps you need to be in unholy presence.
    if this rotation in UH presence yields more dps then another roation in blood presence - you should use this (and blizzard failed then tbh...)

Bananero

Quote Originally Posted by kriS411
    2 rune abilites basicly have the advantage that they save you a GCD.

so if you use 6 attacks per cycle + RP dumps you need to be in unholy presence.
    if this rotation in UH presence yields more dps then another roation in blood presence - you should use this (and blizzard failed then tbh...)
    The abuse of double rune strikes on blood dps builds (PTR) ends being rune starved at the third rotation cycle. If you think "nice time to RP dump here", means your next DS will hit for crap. Im yet to install Recount to check dps, but my tests show 4k-6k crits (mostly) every EVERY GCD without dumping RP. I never go rune starved this way with blood presence

More tests are need tho

If you're testing a cycle including DS, you shouldn't be massively dumping RP.

Your rotation: use obliterate. RP dump before the Oblit, you have enough time before the diseases fall off with the 15 second changes so you might as well take the extra dot ticks. At least in the testing I've done, PS/IT do not equal the strike damage of a single OB.

If you do want to test DS (which I haven't seriously), you want it glyphed, and you want to be high RP (if not max). As a result with PS - IT - HS - HS - DS, you're only realistically going to be able to get off 1-2 death coils since you need to regain the RP spent in your next cycle. You may need to glyph death coil when it gets placed into the game... yet another place where I'm baffled by Blizzard's not putting in the new glyphs so we could, you know, test.

I'm not sure, DS may be worthwhile but I think you have to have a second rotation in there which you haven't listed here. It's not as neat and tidy but single rotation with DS I think you have dead air time.

What spec were you playing with anyway? Glyphed / Outbreak PS spam, maybe, but I don't know about taking Outbreak in a DS rotation with or without epidemic either. YMMV heh, I haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rianabi
    Been testing alot of different blood specs over the last few days on PTR, and no matter how i glyph i cant possibly get deathstrike to ever do more damage than plaguestrike+icy touch, it's not even close...

So why not use a 6 ability cycle over the usual ps - it - hs -hs - ds - rp dump

In all tests i've done PS - PS - IT - IT - HS - HS (6 abilities, 9sec cycle, quite tight but works) Has done more damage, oh and replace the two icy touches whenever you are above 80 RP for 2 deathcoils instead.

Anyone else tried this out? I really cant see how DS can possibly yield more dps really.

*edit* Oh and obliterate is the same deal really, to get it to be useful you have to get annihilation wich will lower dps even more, diseaseless obliterates simply dont work anymore and even with diseases it doesent deal that much damage, still less than ps+it even with glyphs and such.
    The reason to use DS is because PS will never... and I repeat NEVER... get released as is. Right now with all the PS buffs and glpyh it's hitting/critting for insane amounts. Don't expect that to go live, it will get normalized.

What I expect to see is sometime in the near future they also add DS to subversion for the 9% crit, they are already discussing having DS added to abominations might and it seems like they are going to add it in. Also I've been saying it the whole time, they will tweak the damage modifiers of DS as well as the healing coefficients to raise the damage a bit and lower the healing a bit to try to even it out. Now this is just my theory but if they really want DS to be the blood FU rune ability then they will need to bring it up to part with OB and SS more (not make it the same damage, but have it near the range).

Quote Originally Posted by Bananero
    The abuse of double rune strikes on blood dps builds (PTR) ends being rune starved at the third rotation cycle.
    abuse of double rune strikes? could you enlighten me as to what exactly this bug or whatnot is?

As stated above, Plague Strike was it was was not going to get to live.

They have already nerfed the Glyph of Plague Strike from 60% to 20% bonus damage. The original glyph was like that because Plague Strike hit for minimal damage due to the HoT removal component.

Outbreak is still great in combination with Glyph of Plague Strike, but not something you will want to break a cookie cutter build to get, i.e. a majority of PvE Frost DPS and Tank builds.

Death Strike has been added to Abomination's Might as well.

Since early last week I knew Death Strike would be Blood's Obliterate/Scourge Strike because it has great synergy with Blood Gorged as well as maintaining the idea that Blood is a self healing build in both PvE tank builds and PvP DPS builds. The point of Blood is to hit hard and consistently, but be more about longevity than insane burst damage, which I think is more attributed to Frost. I expect the new Death Strike emphasis will increase Blood viability in arena play as well as tanking ability.