Malygos Tanking help.

Ok so I have healed Malygos a few times but we had alot of tanks leave so now I'm tanking. That being said I haven't had any issue with holding threat on any fight. I use the 969 rotation as closely as I can.

So Saturday I tanked Malygos for the first time and while we did kill him... I found it very hard to keep threat. I've heard rumors his threat is screwy at the start and after a vortex... so I chalked it up to that.

Any advice on how to handle the threat spikes from dual spark + BL.

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...uncil&n=Nybras

Re: Malygos Tanking help.

Malygos is definitely hard on tanks. Especially if you have really strong dps. I feel the problem comes from the vortex itself. If you end up out of melee range, there are only a couple of attacks you can do to maintain threat while the ranged dps and melee that do end up in melee range can catch up really fast. As for the sparks, as a paladin tank you have something which is really beneficial: Hand of salvation. When we get to the point where we have the dps receiving benefits from multiple sparks, I usually use hand of salvation on the 2nd highest threat, and call out targets for other paladins in the raid to salv. Also, you can use your Avenging Wrath at points in the fight to increase your threat buildup to counter the sparks/bl. If your healers are decent, you shouldn't need to use Divine Protection for mitigation.

Hi there..

Best thing to do would be to use classes who can use threat reduction, you really need to build aggro as fast as possible. by the end we reach phase 2 i'm normally at about 500K threat (most classes are on my ass tho)

I would say the classes who have most trouble with threat is mages or enhancement shamans, you should save your sacrifice for those. If you're guild lets you maybe you could stand in a spark (we did this before by accident though) and I had no problems with threat. It might help if you list your weapon and your SBV.. Maybe you are not hit capped or something.

Use Wings early so you get a head start. On Double Spark + BL, remind everyone to use there Threat Transfer Skills (MD from Hunters, Trick of the Trades of Rogoues) then it is no problem. Also if I get Vortex, I use Salvation on the highest person. Ask other Paladins to do the same during Vortex.

As Sarkan mentioned, one of the biggest problems is that rogues and hunters rarely use MD after the initial use in the beginning. Ask them to use it on every cooldown. It really does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkan-ZdC
    Use Wings early so you get a head start. On Double Spark + BL, remind everyone to use there Threat Transfer Skills (MD from Hunters, Trick of the Trades of Rogoues) then it is no problem. Also if I get Vortex, I use Salvation on the highest person. Ask other Paladins to do the same during Vortex.
    This is what i did to counter the warlock who caught up after she soul shattered... I was scared to use wings since it was my first time tanking maly and I wanted to keep the bubble wall just in case he got a spark (which didn't happen).

@Craigadiddle
    I use slayer of the lifeless, I also have the red sword I could use. my SBV is around 1500 i believe (libram)

Use wings at start can keep your paladin some salvation rotation on locks and you will be fine...

my armor link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Leip%C3%A4kone

as he is flying up for vortex run to the middle so that when you're pushed up to spin you're in range to use your skills. keeps your threat going during that phase, but you have to run out quickly when it ends.

I've never had problems with threat in that fight.

I find it easier to tank him as a pally ( i have a warrior and pally tank) ..

During vortex i can use judgement, avenger shield .. concecrate also works .. if you constantly have problem, i think the easiest thing to do is to spam taunt .. with the new taunt mechanics, it's is very useful in these situations ..

so as soon as he drops you, spam shield slam, and taunt .. spam your threat abilities and taunt agian when the CD is up .. it should give you a good edge coming out of vortex

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    as he is flying up for vortex run to the middle so that when you're pushed up to spin you're in range to use your skills. keeps your threat going during that phase, but you have to run out quickly when it ends.

I actually try to do this on every fight and its only about 50% reliable. Perhaps I'm in the wrong position (not directly under him)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar

Running to the middle is bad. If you have the debuff from his breath, you can wipe the raid when you explode.

Thanks for all the tips... will try this next time I get to tank him.

you rarely have the debuff on you when it gets to that time and if ever you do you can bubble it off and remove bubble quickly

Red Sword of Courage is better for threat, use it.

Blow wings, you can bubblewall 30 seconds after and if you have to blow it before that 30 seconds you're doing it wrong.

Use every gcd you can. Attempt to continue doing threat during vortex, if melee abilities are out of range sometimes judgements are still in range and use Avenger's Shield when it's up during vortex.

To be safe you can always use taunt as Vortex ends.

If Survivability is a non-issue consider making a threat set, 2 percent threat gloves, more block value, etc

15+ Year Old Account

Uh, I'm not sure if this will be much help, but I'm a moonkin, and I generate really high threat and almost pull, so. It might not be a lack of skill or anything, it's probably just a bad threat fight so I wouldn't worry too much.
    "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." - Andrew Ryan

As said above, use hand of salvation when you can on the dps, also stacking some additional threat gear like block value can help if you're able to take the cut to your stam and still survive the breath (Since BV items have less stam than avoidance gear)

Otherwise, make sure that you taunt malyagos as soon as you land after the vortex using our new taunt to be safe, also make sure that you're running back into the middle to continue dpsing him when he initially flies up before vortex, you can often get in a shield slam while under the effect of the spark doing this too

also fire off your ranged abilities (judgement / avengers shield and concecrate aswell) while you're in the vortex (as well as putting on sacred shield + holy shield so that you're ready to go straight into dps on maly when he lands)

otherwise if you stick to 969 you should be ok, also as said above, make sure that you pop your wings at the start (imo get up 4 stacks of veng first tho, so maybe wait 5 or 6s before popping)