Threat Consumables

Need some pro advises about the best food/elixir/flask choices for more threat generation.
    Please list ur advises under MT and OT headlines.

Thanks.

Re: Threat Consumables

Elixir of strenght should be what you are after?

Well im a casual tank but im a PRO alchemist.

If Str is your thing, a mighty strength potion is what you are after, and it leaves room for an elixir of Fortitude, cuz hey, who doest want a few hundred more hp?

If Crit is better for you (dont really know how prot pallies work) we have that too, as well as Hit, Expertise, Spell power, Armor penetration, +20 to all stats, and haste. For WotLK, you name the stats and alchemy can enhance it, much better than BC. Id advise you to make good friends with a good alchemist if you havent already.

Flasks probably wont work as well. Theres a Spell power flask, an attack power flask (which happens to be a ROYAL PAIN to farm the mats for), a health flask (health and not stam so you get no SP converter), and an MP5 flask. Oh yeah and a resistance one now i think.

As for food, there is a STR/STAM food, im not sure what the name is but any experienced cook should have it.
    Rocket Sauce.

For me, standard consumables for all situations are:
    Dragonfin Fillet (40 sta; 40 str) [for AoE tanking a la Sarth the fish feast is better threat though less mitigation]
    Elixir of Mighty Fort (I think that's the rank, 320 hp/20hp5);
    Elixir of Mighty Str (I think that's the right rank, 50 str).

Best threat and mitigation foods, the agi food is another choice but the DR makes it pretty bad IMO. Stoneblood flasks are good too for the cheap, as they're about 5-10x cheaper.

Chronalis, you might want to look at potions - the Guru's elixir (+20 to all) and fort together give what, 570 hp, a bit of dodge, crit, BV and ap - I prefer might str to Guru, but even with the buff to stoneblood (750 hp in 3.1) it's still a pretty and flask, and that pot combo completely blows the old fort flasks out of the water (except in price ofc, but then I've always been one to ignore the price, i.e. dropping mining for JC for the serpent after 2.4). Pity blizz didn't continue brute force (sta/str) potions tbh

Aye, I use flasks for farm naxx raids as they are just so much cheaper, especially as wipes in naxx aren't too rare in my slacker guild. Luckily I've had fishing and cooking since BC, and don't actually need to level fishing to reliably fish dragonfin. Fwiw, there was a 15 to all stats in BC for everywhere, the elixir of mastery, although I always went with flasks.

You started playing in 2.3? Now that's impressive, to come into BC that late and still do a lot of content pre-3.0 - I always expected you to have been playing sonce the start of BC, as you're in what (to me at least) is a top-end guild (my BC guild was in the 'pack' of guilds all at about the same level behind the top three on my server, and we cleared BT a few weeks before 3.0 (about the only Illi raid I missed before he died was the kill , as I'd stopped raiding after the last raid before that) and didn't touch sunwell), although Terenas is a backwater server. Was interesting to note that none of the top three guilds actually used full time tankadins, and as you've said that horde tankadin threat was dire at the time I'm surprised you managed to tank in such a high end guild - especially as many people took warrs as MTs generally. Was comical though when the warrs took loads of shears on Illi, they finally gave me a go and suddenly we were into P2 reliably :P

greenmasheen

anything with STAMINA is ideal as you get spellpower and additional stamina through talents. it is also one of your primary tanking stats... and since something like 70% of your threat is from holy damage...

Quote Originally Posted by greenmasheen
    anything with STAMINA is ideal as you get spellpower and additional stamina through talents. it is also one of your primary tanking stats... and since something like 70% of your threat is from holy damage...
    And since ~20-30% of your threat (consec, SoV, JoV) gets damage from spellpower, your point is?

Stam and Str are the two main stats for tanking, Str for threat and mitigation and Sta for spike soaking and a small amount of threat. The avoidance from Agi isn't worth it compared to Str/Sta, and everything else is prety much useless. Def pots aren't bad, but again DR hit them hard, hp pots are nice as are ac pots, which I might switch to tbh, and str/guru elixirs are king of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmasheen

correction, almost 95% of our threat is from Holy damage, we get very little threat from our white swing.

However as the poster above me pointed out, only a few of our abilities/spells get benefit from spell power, and even then it's a less benefit than from AP now.

As for consumables, I don't have a problem shelling out a little more, I use the Def (45 def rating), and Guru's elixir (+20 stats). That typically tops me off after DR, for Avoidance. ( i also tend to get lucky and find them pretty cheap) as far as food, i recommend the Dragonfin Fillet as was mentioned, (40 str/40 stam). If for any reason you need more avoidance, the Blackened Dragonfin (40agi/40stam) is a good choice. Also, I don't have a problem with threat, if anything i do too much for the group i run with now, but i also stacked a lot of BV and str over avoidance, and relay on the consumables/buffs to push me over.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    I'm gonna back up this "theory", with the "Mirror of Truth" trinket. That's incredibly good for us as a threat trinket (even moreso if you've got a conviction/Sanc. Seals tanking build). I use it in heroics, as well as farm content, as it means we clear trash faster. I rarely use it on bosses, unless i'm doing prot dps for the fight
    I think that Darkmoon Card: Greatness (90Str) beats the mirror on threat gen as well as providing mitigation as well. ~200AP all the time and ~860 AP on proc. (raid buffed w/ Paw's +10%)