Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How to Dps ( Moonkin )

Hi I would like to Say before going into this that I have been playing boomkin for about 2days,and my gear is not Great at all.
    My reason for making this post is to help my self and other who might think they have everything figured out.. and not doing maxx dps.

What I would like to know is Stat proiorty ,Hastse,Crit,Sp,ect ect ect

Rotation and what you are looking for,for instance procs and what order you doing things-this is more of the how to dps of the topic.

Mods that you are useing that makes easier for YOU.

I would like to start off by Saying I would like no going back and forth with stupid shit and argueing... The overall goal is that all of our
    Dps gets better and we trying to work with each other to help ourselfs and others out.Speaking of that if your not GOOD....meaning your doing like 3k On 25 Pacth and have full t7 you should be doing more reading then posting,We dont need this to become a scrub fest.

I Did pacth last night and had no idea what I was doing and I pulled 2.5,My main is an enhance shammy which I do well over 5k on him.

Due To my armory being broke or somthing I canot link my armory.So in this sense If you can make your post more of an informative response that would be appecatied
    Armory links and numbers that your doing would be nice,Remeber this is not only for me this is for Everyone!

Post Away 8)

Re: How to Dps ( Moonkin )

Personally:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0xGbuicoIdIVh0hZbxczb

Using the last 5 points defendant on what/how I intend doing things. With not so good mana regen drop 3 points in Intensity, and then the other 2 points in either a few toys, or Gale Winds.

If mana regen is good drop the last 5 in Gale Winds and pick up Starfall/Typhoon/Force Of Nature.

Pure PvE build of course.

With this you need 236 hit rating to be capped assuming using ImpFF and you have a Draenei present, which is your priority stat.

Other than this:

Hit (236) > Spell Damage > Crit/Haste > Spirit/Int (Eh, complicated last two stats)

Crit and Haste shouldn't fall more than a little apart either way, building them up together is good.

Rotation, getting a feeling or timer for Eclipse is good, otherwise once you have a reasonable amount of haste starfire is the way to go:

MF/FF/Starfire x 4

However once you have enough haste it can be worth doing:

MF/FF/Wrath till eclipse, then continue Starfire while eclipse is up.

Eclipse > Refreshing MF, FF is debatable.

In Heroism proccing Starfire eclipse by wrath spamming is the best way, the increase in cast speed + the crit chance gives mad DPS.

On bosses like patchwerk, one full round of starfall > a GCD of anything else, so cast that if you have it.

On trash, starfall > all, hurricane when on CD and typhoon if you have the glyph/don't care about pissing the tanks off.

With gear, don't worry about taking cloth over leather, our tier ain't that amazing but then with the above spec you shouldn't need to worry too much about hit. The trinket from heigan on 25 man or the trinket from last boss of VH heroic gets you a long way towards this.

I do only about 3.2K DPS or so on Patchwerk 25 man last I was there but I'm about half-epic at the moment. Just been playing moonkin since forever so I keep on track with these things.

I've seen a WWS on a moonkin topping DPS on KT at about 4.5K DPS, so it is possible.

Glyphs should be obvious:

Glyph Of Starfire
    Glyph Of Moonfire
    Glyph Of Innervate/Insect Swarm depending on mana regen.

Assorted minors, the Wild one, Typhoon one etc are good'uns, the starfall one in 3.1 will be worth it.

Armory: Pointless, I'm Feral equipped/specced at moment for PvP.

Also:

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/1566038#damageout

- Moonkin did 5.6k DPS on patchwerk.
    - Used starfire primarily.
    - If you look at his talents etc, you can see how much variance you can throw into your build but still do amazing DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by elfant

Mods that you are useing that makes easier for YOU.
    theres a mod calld Squawk and Awe, it shows the cooldown on eclipse so u know when to start wrathing again. i would definately get it.
    and as for stat priority, i prefer crit over all else, simply becaues moonkin dps is totally based of eclipse proc's, and eclipse wont proc if u dont crit! also a crit based moonkin never goes oom!

Quote Originally Posted by watitdo
    theres a mod calld Squawk and Awe, it shows the cooldown on eclipse so u know when to start wrathing again. i would definately get it.
    and as for stat priority, i prefer crit over all else, simply becaues moonkin dps is totally based of eclipse proc's, and eclipse wont proc if u dont crit! also a crit based moonkin never goes oom!
    If you proc Eclipse for Starfire, then you need haste not crit.

If you proc Eclipse for Wrath, then you need crit not haste.

Depending on what version of Eclipse you use, decides what gear you go for.

Additional crit is useless once Eclipse procs for Starfire... so its better to get haste to cast more Starfires during the Proc.

no matter what rotation you are using, there is never a time where you dont need crit or haste. both are good for you. But one is better then the other.

1 haste > 1 crit. By a fair bit. But that does not mean you should replace every piece of gear with crit on it, for a piece with haste on it. Crit comes with your gear. Dont ignore. But realize it is the least important pure DPS stat.

Now over the next few weeks, we will see lots of theorycrafting around the possibility that Solar Eclipse rotations are better then Lunar Eclipse. We also do not know for sure yet if the new NG allows wraths casts to be under the current LIVE GCD hard cap, HOWEVER, it is looking on the PTR like it will allow wrath casts and the GCD to drop below 1 second, with NO hard minimum cap.

So, come 3.1, stat priority will remain the same

hit (till capped) > spell power > haste > crit
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Kulltiras

Thanks so far.. keep em coming

Quote Originally Posted by Iravada
    Also:

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/1566038#damageout

- Moonkin did 5.6k DPS on patchwerk.
    - Used starfire primarily.
    - If you look at his talents etc, you can see how much variance you can throw into your build but still do amazing DPS.
    Having heroism up for half a fight will bloat numbers. Single target, on your own, you won't see anything NEAR this.

To the OP: Don't listen to this poster, or copy his build, it's just awful.

yeah, I'm only level 44 on my moonkin, but I can already till when I get him to raiding, he's gonna be making use of haste over crit, though crit is nice, as another poster said, enough of it already comes with your gear.

Really? Don't listen to anything I said? What exactly did I say that was wrong? Please, if I've screwed all this up please show me the error of my ways.

Also, please do suggest a build stronger than:

With the associated recommendations for the remaining points.

EDIT: Perhaps you only meant my second post? I didn't necessarily mean I recommend that talent spec, I just said there's alot of room for personal interpretation. If you did mean my first post, sure, poke holes if you can.

15+ Year Old Account

Also, please do suggest a build stronger than:

That is easy...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0tMbuiIscdIVuouZbxczb

I even left you a free talent point!

1. 3/3 Moonglow is terrible if you need mana regen, Intensity and Dreamstate are both better (you already had OoC...)

2. Unless you are just starting off and have little no Spirit gear, Intensity is better.

3. In 25 man raids (even 10 with a replenish and iMkForm) mana for DPS is just not an issue.

4. No treants? 1 GCD that does over 40k dmg? Even in a generic "framework" build you should have this talent.

Personally I do not even take OoC because mana regen is a non-issue...

Armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...oodhoof&n=Eilt

OK.

Well I typed out a massive rant about how each of your points was wrong, but I do actually see what you mean. For me I'll be adopting something closer to that spec than my own from now on.

BUT.

He is a newly geared moonkin (Not that bad considering 2.5k DPS) so I think the complete lack of mana regen is gonna 'cause him problems.

Minor points:

• Moonglow is good for a newly geared druid as the percentage reductions Vs. current mana regen is obvious.
    • Intensity is better, fair enough. In BC it wasn't, still stuck with that thought.
    • You don't wanna get caught in any situation without replenishment as a poorly geared moonkin, so this is why I reccomended taking those talents.
    • I didn't say no to treants, I just said they're a reccomended toy. Sorry if I didn't emphasise this enough for you, but they are highly situational and just don't work on some bosses. Some people prefer not to spec into them.
    • OOC will be useful in many situations, one upcoming example is the new mana draining boss in Uludar that stops mana regen talents but not mana freeing abilties.

Personally, for him, yeah, take your build but drop those points from IIS and Celestial Focus into either:

Intensity/Moonglow/Take point from genesis and drop final two into something else, maybe 2x IIIS

Or if his gear is slightly better than I expect:

Intensity from out of Celestial, leave IIS.

I currently don't use dreamstate (now that I've swapped due to what you highlighted) and of course I don't use moonglow. I was reccomending for a newly geared druid. My remaining points go into Starfall/Treants/Typhoon.

Still though:

Even if my build was slightly off kilter, what was wrong with my other advice that he had to completely ignore what I said? So far all you've done is give advice when someone responds aggressively (Me), why don't you instead impart your words of wisdom and actually be helpful? So what, I might be wrong but for god's sake at least be constructive in your retaliation without provociation.

15+ Year Old Account

I am not defending the other persons post, I did not really read your entire first post to be perfectly honest, I will comment on this though:

Yes he may be having mana issues, but even if he was I would look to dreamstate earlier on before I maxed out Moonglow, then see what you need in terms of mana regen after that.

Yes, if he is having mana issues Celestial Focus should be the first to go, and if he is still hurting (I cannot imagine any ger level where this would be the case) then yea iIS is next to move points out of.

The only comments I would have with your original post (I read it now) would be:

- Haste > Crit, sure crit gets you more (mana return, bonus damage, etc) but the cost for 1% crit is VASTLY more expensive than the same to get 1% of Haste, which is why you itemize for haste instead of crit (crit is too darn expensive)

- Assuming you are casting iFF you always use it first, it increases your crit chance and applies an armor debuff for the rest of the raid

- Insect Swarm (especially with glyph and t7 bonus) is worth casing now (and moreso in 3.1) with 3.1 I will start keeping it up more, right now I refresh it when I refresh MF or if I need to just before I start casting wrath for the extra damage.

Yeah, all the above makes sense.

I will admit I didn't realize that you and the person who said to dis-regard my post weren't the same person xD

Agreed with the whole FF thing, I do cast that first myself I just didn't think when I put that down :P I've heard alot about this haste > crit thing, which does seem to make alot of sense. I have to see I'm really excited about seeing a possible two different ways to DPS for solar/lunar eclipse. Might actually provide us with two viable moonkin specs; wouldn't that be cool?

Always been a bit eh, with IS but starting to see the bonuses stack and it does seem like a relatively viable way to boost your DPS. BC, it was really just the best DPM not a good DPS booster.

I suspect come 3.1, it'll either be:

(THEORY HERE, I've only done super brief research)

Spec 1:

FF/MF/IS/Wrath till Lunar then Starfire without refreshing DoTs except FF until out of proc.

Stacking haste.

Spec 2:

FF/MF/IS/Starfire till Solar as above.

Stacking crit.

Due to the nature's grace changes (which on a side note, look SWEET!)

Opinion?

15+ Year Old Account

Despite the buff to Solar Eclipses, you still suffer the same penalty with Wrath as you do now (assuming you have a respectable amount of haste).

Spec 1 is the current rotation and with the new Natures Grace the proc will speed up 2 (possible 3 but very doubtful) Starfire spell casts making our current rotation even more DPS. The object is to keep MF ticking as much as possible and refresh IS wehn it is convinient (However with some 3.1 changes I suspect that keeping IS up more will be a marginal DPS gain)

Spec 2 would be nice if Wrath would never clip the GCD and not allow us to use the pre-queue system, until this is fixed or they just buff the hell out of solar eclipses to make it worthwhile still, we will not see a rotation where spamming wrath is optimal.

However, if you accidentally proc a solar eclipse by trying to squeak out that last Starfire, the DPS loss is much less now than it was.

I could be wrong, but I heard that the whole clipping thing was because the GCD was cut before your haste? But now the haste/nature's grace was applied simultaneously?

I could be wrong or it could be wishful thinking xD Time's like this I should roll on the PTR...

8)

I am currently resto but for my second boomkin build I'd go with these talents as boomkin :

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0EG0zVIRIdhVuRuZMxczb

I am currently resto but for my second boomkin build I'd go with these talents as boomkin :

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0EG0zVIRIdhVuRuZMxczb
    As discussed already:

- Genesis is rubbish, lowest DPS per talent point spent.
    - Nature's grace is still a must have despite it's clunkiness.
    - Intensity > Dreamstate.
    - Nature's focus over GoW? Well, if another druid has it maybe. But it only applies to wrath which is suckage.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ea+52&n=Nytrik

Here is my amory.... I am doing around 2.8 on the dummy but I think somthing is wrong I should be doing much more can somone help me with rotation....
    ect maybe my gylps can figure out what it is