Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Prot/Ret - 2H tank

While I don't agree with your desire to try to use E4E as a prot talent, I do like the idea of trying out a 2H Pally Tank. I was messing around on CharDev.org and came up with this gear/spec.

http://chardev.org/?template=145926

Tanking with Seal of Command while using DS and CS on CD. Its dumb, but it could be fun.

Def-capped and over 28k Unbuffed HP.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

I won't go so far as to say it's a good idea to try but but I can tell you from first hand experience that it can be done. I (as a healer) kept a buddy of mine (ret paladin) up as he tanked UK with a 2h. He's no stranger to tanking. He also has a raid geared DK and knows how to play one of those as well. He had enough defense to avoid being crit and his avoidance wasn't too bad.

I'll be honest, the first couple pulls were nerve wracking but we pulled it off as long as he didn't get too carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    Wow, if any one thread can destroy my faith in humanity, this one would be it.

Leave the OP alone, god forbid he injects some variety into WoW for once.

What a bunch of mindless, childish, automatons.

Even if we all know the build won't work, I applaud you, OP, for amusing, if not visionary attempts at variety in specs. You're not quite up there with sword/board ret builds yet, but keep working, you'll get there.
    *hands over post of the month award*
    glad to see some people arn't idiots who just recite elitest jerk word for word .... yes we all know the def cap is 540 .. yes we all know def cap and e4e wont work together .. GOOD JOB u have Journeyman COMMON SENSE!

Quote Originally Posted by TehTaink
    I won't go so far as to say it's a good idea to try but but I can tell you from first hand experience that it can be done. I (as a healer) kept a buddy of mine (ret paladin) up as he tanked UK with a 2h. He's no stranger to tanking. He also has a raid geared DK and knows how to play one of those as well. He had enough defense to avoid being crit and his avoidance wasn't too bad.

I'll be honest, the first couple pulls were nerve wracking but we pulled it off as long as he didn't get too carried away.
    thanks for a healers contribution ...

TERRIBLE idea, you can't use E4E in PvE. Chances are, if you get crit, your dead. Period. Save yourself a repair bill and anyone who you plan to run heroics with.

EDIT: OH, and you can't predict when a crit is going to hit, divine protection isn't a argument, nevertheless the 5 minute CD on it.

Taking this suggestion seriously:

The real issue to be honest, from stopping you from turning into a poor DK tank, is that we don't have a frost presence type ability. If you drop your shield, your armor will have a hard time breaking 15k armor. With armor that low, your armor mitigation will be around 40%, which from the damage taking perspective, is 60% damage as opposed to the 40% damage you take from being at 60% mitigation. So, you get hit for 33% more per hit, you have no shield block to take for most well geared paladins, 1-2k damage off of each hit.

If you went deep prot and tried this with HotR, you would see decent enough threat, though the lack of ShoR will kill your single target TPS compared to real Protadins, I think you could still hold aggro off of 2k DPSers though to be honest.. If you went deep ret to get Crusader Strike/DS for threat, you must remember that these are sources of non-magic damage, which are not bonused by RF, which will make it so you won't hold aggro on any DPSing harder than you.

Due to the necessity of uncrittablitly, E4E is also a poor tanking choice.

Cool idea, but as the OP even said, just roll a DK if you want this to work.

Ret primarily deals physical damage, which is no good threat wise.

E4E doesn't really work as a tanking ability because:

1) Mobs only have a 5% chance to crit you
    2) Any tank with half decent gear is crit immune.

You could probably pull off heroics with this idea, provided you had a decent healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matson
    Eye for an eye is very bad for tank since you shouldnt take criticals ^^ and for the "fail" -posters. EVERYONE knows it wouldnt work as well as prot, so you dont have to say it.. I think the point is would the spec work at all . In raids you would have kinda much problems I think. But I remember I tanked a while with pvp ret spec /gear in UK hc, but that was only trash.
    eye for an eye procs if you would have been crit even though you weren't because of res or defence. so it does work for def capped tank not that many would get but just saying.

Try this

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9658

You should be able to tank heroic dongeons but remember this have to be done in tanking gear with a 2H weapon, not dps gear. You have to be immune to crit . If not you will get 2shotted