Thread: @A Plate Dress

@A Plate Dress

Shouldn't you be off in the Warrior forums asking how the hell they hold two 2h weapons in each hand, when the weapons probably weigh as much as them?

Or off in the Mage forums how they hurl fireballs from their hands and seemingly thin air?

It's a fantasy world, stop attacking the plate tier with realism. If a Warrior can weild a few hundred pounds in each hand, a Paladin is strong enough to treat a plate robe like tissue paper. If a Mage can make magic in a magical world, it obviously has no bounds in reality.

All of these threads about the tier legs are getting seriously old and annoying, and serve no purpose on -these- forums, as Blizzard isn't listening. The people that read these posts don't have enough kleenex to hand out to everyone that doesn't like the new T8. Yes, I condemn myself by making this post to the same boat as everyone with rivers flowing from their eyes. Read this post, stop posting more useless threads, bury it, and move on.

Re: @A Plate Dress

Aesthetically I prefer pants, but as far as actual armor worn, there were battle skirts before pants, though these were actually variations on mail. Plenty of the armor sets contain elements that are not of their armor category, so from a design point of view in that way it is technically in line.

Moved to Comics Fury. Rereleased and updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Akutare
    Aesthetically I prefer pants, but as far as actual armor worn, there were battle skirts before pants, though these were actually variations on mail. Plenty of the armor sets contain elements that are not of their armor category, so from a design point of view in that way it is technically in line.
    And I agree with you, but reason posted by people with more knowledge of historical armor is obviously lost on the few players that keep posting on this moot issue.

If warlocks can have wood cloth and shamans can have stone mail, then we can have plate skirts.

skirts > pants for paladins

Seriously, the 2 best looking sets use skirts (Tier 2 and this new one :P)
    I have enough with the warrior-wanabe paladin pants. I am a Hybrid, now start wearing like it!
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

We didn't need a second thread for this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykel
    If warlocks can have wood cloth and shamans can have stone mail, then we can have plate skirts.
    Or the many examples of robes that have a clearly metallic looking breastplate, or chains running along them. But still say cloth in the item tooltip. Because they have to be made up entirely of the material the tooltip says. Keep posting though, I want it to stay on the front page as much as possible so people can read it and not make another post.

Quote Originally Posted by b37x
    We didn't need a second thread for this discussion.
    And I didn't want to come back and read 3 more posts tomorrow and think "someone should do something about this"

I vastly prefer the kilt.

If you wanted to apply a dose of realism to armor sets...

Cloth armor actually applies to the thought that it's not armor at all, it's clothing worn for other purposes.

In that regard, cloth armor in World of Warcraft can therefore be made of anything, it's not designed to protect you, and if it does, it's purely by luck or coincidence. Unless you're a chinese/mongolian warrior wearing silk UNDER his armor to protect from arrows.

Leather armor was never actually very popular, except among cavemen maybe. By the time we were wearing anything to protect ourselves from damage, we'd started wearing bone, wood, stone, and other hard materials.

Leather armor, more accurately, is something you use to either conceal yourself, or prevent injury from your environment, not necessarily from incoming blows, although it's better than nothing in that regard. In fact, ninja, who qualify as rogues, actually wore a very light variation of brigandine, if they ever really wore armor at all, which consisted of metal plates sewn in between layers of cloth so they wouldn't touch and make unwanted sound/light.

Mail is any grouping of scales, leather, bone, stone, or metal that are arranged next to each other, often in overlapping fashion, to create a protective, yet flexible armor. Even plate is technically Plate-MAIL. The WoW designers made this distinction to seperate brigandine, chain, scale, lamellar and banded armors from plate. Nobody really worries about shamans, because all their armor looks like lots of different pieces. If it shows cloth, it's probably just there to keep the scales/lamellar from showing.

Plate, finally, is just larger sheets of metal laid together to cover a higher portion of the body, it's still many individual components, making it plateMAIL. Even in the real world, people wore chains or scales UNDER their plate armor to protect against tearing blows, which could effectively penetrate plate, but chains were very good at protecting against, and they wore leather and/or cloth under THAT because being dressed in a suit of chains covered by a solid metal suit is not only very abrasive and irritating, it's also uncomfortable, so padding is required to effectively stave off the pain of incoming blows. It was also quite common, if not something that was done CONSTANTLY, to wear layers of cloth OVER the armor to show heraldry, or just to make it prettier.

If you look at Paladin armor, much of it shows cloth, the T2 robe looks like it's mostly cloth, but it's obviously got metal plates exposed and chains supporting parts of the cloth. Careful examination of the boots shows that they're normal plate boots, so who's to say the suit doesn't also incorporate normal plate pants as well? The same can be applied to T8, although there's much more exposed plating than on T2.

In short... for those that say "TLDR" : You can't see under the outer layer, so STFU until you can.

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    If you wanted to apply a dose of realism to armor sets...

~~~

In short... for those that say "TLDR" : You can't see under the outer layer, so STFU until you can.
    You sir bring realism in an informative fashion. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybran
    All of these threads about the tier legs are getting seriously old and annoying, and serve no purpose
    A bit ironic creating a thread about the same topic, dont you think?

Pally dresses FTW!!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectionz
    A bit ironic creating a thread about the same topic, dont you think?

Pally dresses FTW!!! ;D
    Yes, I condemn myself by making this post to the same boat as everyone with rivers flowing from their eyes. Read this post, stop posting more useless threads, bury it, and move on.
    Try quoting the entire thing, I'm not looking for a handshake.

It is true. We can not see under the skirts so the QQ's are unfounded. HOWEVER i will say this...

It is practical to think that the paladin tier 8 if were real would work like this.

Plate pants, on top of that is a chain mail Kilt that extends to the knees. Covering that is either cloth or leather perhaps a mix of both.

Same thing goes with shamans.

Mail leggings, chain mail kilt covered with leather.