Protection paladin pvp gear

Posted this on the Blizzard suggestions forum and wanted to know your opinions about it.

My name is Dayshine and i'm a paladin. I am very fond of the protection tree,
    and that is why I spec for that in both pve and pvp.
    Now I was delighted to hear that Blizzard wants to improve the position of protection specs
    in pvp. Come 3.1 the protection paladins are getting some nice buffs, yet there is something still missing, a pvp set.

A protection paladin relies on several factors to be successful in pvp:
    - A high amount of stamina, to take the hits
    - A certain amount of damage reducing stats (Resilience, Block Rating)
    - Various damage increasing stats (Strength, Block value, Crit rating)

* Against melee you are going to be blocking most attacks, therefore parry and dodge become unnecessary. Besides, the stats are useless against casters.

Currently I have no way of aqcuiring this sort of gear, without going pve. Which means that I have nothing to spend my Honor points/arena points on, making it all less rewarding and above all less fun.

This is an example of the gear that I was thinking about (I do not know the exact formula's that Blizzard uses, so I have guessed most numbers)

Deadly Gladiator's Hardened Chestplate
    Binds when picked up
    Chest Plate
    2298 Armor
    +85 Strength
    +150 Stamina
    - Red Socket
    - Yellow Socket
    Socket Bonus: +6 Resilience Rating
    Durability 165 / 165
    Classes: Paladin
    Requires Level 80
    Requires personal and team arena rating of 1870
    Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 43
    Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 35 .
    Equip: Improves your block value by 85

Now this is just an example of what would be possible to create. This way it will not be attractive to use in PvE, since you will need to be defense capped there. Also note that I did not include Block rating on this particular piece, this can be found on other pieces of the set (in exchange for crit rating).

Now I hope you like my idea, I think it is simple to implement, but a huge improvement to the gameplay of some players.

Hope you can forward this to the developers and give them my regards.

-Dayshine

Re: Protection paladin pvp gear

They could probably just put in non sets with Block rating and value and let you take the Ret set
    Sounds much more like the Blizzard way of doing things
    Might make them more PvE viable than doing it over a full set, but the Warrior/Paladin would still have to be def capped without several pieces of gear

resilience works towards un-crittable too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    resilience works towards un-crittable too lol.
    Ye ok, but you wouldn't use a whole load of resilience in PvE to get uncrittable, just because
    defense comes with alot of extra's (Parry, dodge, miss, block) that's why the gear would be unattractive for
    pve protection paladins.

Anyway here is the link to the topic, feel free to post your support so Blizzard will implement the gear.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....74758762&sid=1

well, I duel with my prot pally fairly often and only warlocks, very good mages and very good priests can win.

Melees don´t have a chance.

I have all top PVE gear with block value, the same ones I use in PVE.

I put eye for an eye as an talent for example... u´ll also need porsuit of justice, vindication and heart of the crusader. Don´t really need many points in dodge or parry.

And it´s very easy to get PVE gear from naxx also, so there´s no trouble to get those gear. None resilience is necessary as it´s perfect combo with eye for an eye and 30k HP. Also the pvp trinket to disable CC is a must have.

I usually don´t hit consacration in a duel or I´ll get out of mana fast... against healers it´s good to use seal of wisdom cause u´ll only be able to burst dmg a healer into dieing after he burs his own CD and that might take a bit more time usually.

30sec stun is important also and u need to know how to combo hand of freendom, avenger shield, stun, cleanse against a mage for example, so u wont be kited.

I usually just judge light also.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothera
    well, I duel with my prot pally fairly often and only warlocks, very good mages and very good priests can win.

I put eye for an eye as an talent for example... u´ll also need porsuit of justice, vindication and heart of the crusader. Don´t really need many points in dodge or parry.

And it´s very easy to get PVE gear from naxx also, so there´s no trouble to get those gear. None resilience is necessary as it´s perfect combo with eye for an eye and 30k HP. Also the pvp trinket to disable CC is a must have.

I usually don´t hit consacration in a duel or I´ll get out of mana fast... against healers it´s good to use seal of wisdom cause u´ll only be able to burst dmg a healer into dieing after he burs his own CD and that might take a bit more time usually.

30sec stun is important also and u need to know how to combo hand of freendom, avenger shield, stun, cleanse against a mage for example, so u wont be kited.

In 3.1 it becomes a 7second stun with a 20second cooldown if you go deep prot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu
    In 3.1 it becomes a 7second stun with a 20second cooldown if you go deep prot.
    7 seconds? What? If you're reading the "adds 1 second to stun" that would be for Seal of Justice, not hammer.

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation. I pvp as prot already, but I raid as holy so I'm semi-screwed both ways. But I DID pvp as ret when I first hit 80, so I have lots of savage and hateful ret gear: I stack (in this order) Strength, block value, stamina, crit (and then anything else my gear happens to have). The offset gear I have is mostly boe (there is a suprisingly decent amount of BoE tanking gear with a focus on block value). Rings are a problem though, but I'm working on it. Being able to pug naxx and say "I'm not rolling on sp plate, only strength gear" and NOT have people leave is very cool.

I don't compare myself to other people or other specs: prot is fun for me so that's how I play. If I can pvp with my friends and help them out too, even better.

I don't think there will ever be a protection-specific pvp set. That doesn't bother me, I'm happy the way we are now. Implementing such a set would, honestly, only help a small portion of players. I'd rather they spend the time and effort making grenades cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Prothera

with all due respect, what your saying is rubbish, prot palas arent that great in pvp, the only thing you need to do is stun them and stand behind them then unload and theres really nothing they can do... even if you have a lot off hitpoints my mana (retri) lasts longer than yours.... and my heals are superior to yours,
    anyone attacking a prot spec head on is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by sillverhair
    with all due respect, what your saying is rubbish, prot palas arent that great in pvp, the only thing you need to do is stun them and stand behind them then unload and theres really nothing they can do... even if you have a lot off hitpoints my mana (retri) lasts longer than yours.... and my heals are superior to yours,
    Protection paladins aren't incredible in pvp, but don't be fooled: they're no laughing matter. You have a whole 6 seconds of unloading before I can turn around, holy shield, and start the fight proper. That's assuming I don't just trinket out of your one stun in the GCD before the judgement comes.

I have been wondering a bout a prot pally in pvp which got me to play around with the talent tree and this might be a viable prot based pvp spec. It is mainly based on survivability i.e. damage reduction and mitgation but has some added damage in there as well. I won't have a chance to test it out until the patch is released but if someone else can test let me know how it works or any comments go ahead and post.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9767

Edit: just tried this spec with the current talent ponts and it worked pretty well except you go OOM pretty fast, had tintansteel shield and a one hand def weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by sillverhair
    Well, in arenas we're not that good because we dont have many ways of controlling other players, but I assure you, in a duel, no ret paladin can win against a good prot with the right specs.
    You can't kill a plate geared with lots of mittigation in 6 seconds. As we are now, we have 12% of physical mitigation and 18% of magical just with talents. and 30k HP is not something you do in 6 seconds. I'll let you crit all you want, you'll get 20% of the dmg back every time you crit and some more through retribution aura.

I'm not even talking about using trinket to get out of stun cause I hardly use trinket or bubble against melees... I save that for caster that can control much more.

Them, u can heal more, but I don't heal on duels anyways and my mana can last forever if I dont use consacration. Just need to make use of divine plea, sanctuary, and change seals accordingly.

And if we're going to talk about 3.1 ret paladins will be even more at disavantedge. U'll only be abble to stun each 40 seconds and prot 20 seconds only. Our divine plea will last forever and it wont be dispelled. Another thing is the 3 sec silence on avenger shield. It's just too easy as prot to win against a ret paladin.

I can just say that u haven't dueled against a good prot yet. He'll stun you every 30 sec and u'll cry every time you miss or crit a jugdment lol. if u crit it's Holy shield, + eye for an eye + retribution aura just as return dmg.

well, about thepally post now..
    I think avenger shield is quite necessary, it's a really good ammount of dmg and it's dazed effect helps greatly against kiters. Also with 3.1 it'll silence so it's a must have I think. If you more into duels, there's a glyph that makes it hit 100% more to get 1 target only.

I would, though, prefer to do a build like this:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9767

oh, my bad, I think I just editted your build =[ I'm sorry, can't remember the points to go back and get another link to myself...

And like this, u'll never get OOM.

I am a prot pally. I have had questions about pvp gear since I pvp prot. Been playing that way for about 8 months and I was pretty good but had trouble with healers and running oom, but still held my own pretty well. I read the post above and decided to respec and give it a whirl. That chit freaking works to no end. I am dangerous now. healers are even doable since im not beating on them oom while they stand there and heal and regen mana,,

I put my Divine plea where my consecrate was and thats it. Im 3/4 full mana if not full all the time unless i forget to hit the divine plea and it don't refresh.. I did like 3 BGs with it and was impressed and then I ended up against a hunter and a pally and even though i didn't kill them I stayed alive and almost had the pally oom and the hunter dead. it went on for almost 4 minutes and the match ended. It was awesome. I was even able to bubble and heal once since i had mana,,,,,,,prot pally bubble heal,,lol

I don't know what else to say except thanks for putting that spec up dude. its like i'm playing a new character thats never oom,,and i only have 537 res atm,, cant wait to be full hateful, tomorrow.

Thanks again dude and peace out.