Ulduar tanking loot...So much expertise...?

I am so confused. Not counting white hits which to me seem negligible, as far as I know the only two abilities Protection Paladins have that are affected by Expertise are Hammer and Shield of the Righteous and only because they can be "Deflected", which I am unsure if that means the same as Parry in terms of Swing Speed of the boss.

When I itemize my Paladin, it feels pointless for me to get much Expertise because again...two of my large arsenal...and it's barely an issue. Now, I look at all this Ulduar loot... EVERYTHING has Expertise on it!! Where the hell is the avoidance? Where did it go? Where is the hit? I know Warriors and Death Knights need Expertise, but...every piece? Seems somewhat unfair, to me...Why not make some with, and some without?

Am I missing something here? Is there some secret to Expertise I am not aware of? I can't imagine there would be, I've tanked at this point, every current raid in the game in some way shape or form, successfully (including 25 man OS with 3 Drakes...I was the Drake tank.) and never have I felt the need for Expertise. Please, can someone enlighten me?

Re: Ulduar tanking loot...So much expertise...?

it's a good warrior stat :-P

and we have auto attacks which can be parry hasted, that's mostly it I think though?

It is very good for warrior TPS, nothing else comes close. And you need a lot of it since some bosses has 15%+ parry.

There are some ring and neck and shield with armor/dodge/hit on it and without expertise. Maybe T8 paladin will not have expertise, and I think 6.5% expertise is a must even for paladin.
    So you wear 5 T8, ring/neck w/o expertise, trinkets with stamina and there is not so much slots even left to move you up to 6.5% even.

i could actually agree with the op regarding expertise on EVERY piece, yes, it's not that good for tankadins but it's awesome for warriors (not sure about dk's tho'... I don't know anything about them)

Quote Originally Posted by dawilord
    It is very good for warrior TPS, nothing else comes close. And you need a lot of it since some bosses has 15%+ parry.
    don't forget dodge aswell
    if you have -5% of both then it's an additional 10% chance to hit (chance to land), therefore, expertise is double as good as hit until you are dodge capped
    Quote Originally Posted by cryo85
    Because the X-53 is cooler than the Homo Steed
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    [Banned] For trolling.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    =======<()
    BBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    You can't balance vuvuzelas.

Expertise is crap for us, at least till they make our autoattacks a weapon of mass destruction.

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Dentoid
    if you have -5% of both then it's an additional 10% chance to hit (chance to land), therefore, expertise is double as good as hit until you are dodge capped
    and even if you're caped its better than hit! -> parry haste

without all these expertise items prot warriors won't be competitive in tps at all.

Hit VS Expertise:
    This is not a question, this is an answer, a simple one.

Hit is the better stat!

Why:
    Hit affects all our styles and attacks, even consecration and our taunts.
    Expertise affects only our autoattacks, nothing else.

Parry-Haste:
    The ghost is back.

All other tank-classes unleash the storm of melee attacks on the enemy, a whole lot of styles while we just have our auto attacks to be parried.
    If parry-haste is relevant for paladins, how can warriors even tank?
    You make parry haste sound like the boss gains flurry, windfury and seal of command at the same time.

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

white damage, seals and everything outside ur judgement and consecration is parryable which is 16% chance to miss baseline its a large amount of threat lost because your DPS friends wont be missing.
    Hit is better but not a great deal, ur consecrate frist tick is hit the rest don't miss, ur seal procs have nothing to do with hit and your hit stat miss chance is only 8% compared to the parry amount
    there are plenty of tank items compared to other items the only characters with poor itemization are feral druid and str based dpsers.
    str hit expertise are useful atleast, dps have to deal with things like haste and arp which both are worth half the value of any other stat in most cases and there really doesnt tend to be nice ways to cap out outside being a jewelcrafter for hit and expertise due to tier sets horrible stat weights.

Bosses are not really hit hard now, i reckon content is really easy. So you will see 15-20k hitting bosses as well (hodir ~ 25k at heroic). You do not want to parry haste these type of attacks. Since getting 30-40k hits in a few seconds may be your death.

It is also good for threat, as some people explained above. Though yes, it is not really that important if you are using SoV as your seal. But for SoR + reckoning builds need more expertise compared to using SoV.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by cappytoi
    Bosses are not really hit hard now, i reckon content is really easy. So you will see 15-20k hitting bosses as well (hodir ~ 25k at heroic). You do not want to parry haste these type of attacks. Since getting 30-40k hits in a few seconds may be your death.

It is also good for threat, as some people explained above. Though yes, it is not really that important if you are using SoV as your seal. But for SoR + reckoning builds need more expertise compared to using SoV.
    Exactly, especially if the new SoR glyph is on judgments as well.

Cryo - it's purely HotR and white damage that's parryable, the rest is not.

Maybe now we can spec Reckoning? (And use the new Seal of Righteousness Glyph)

Quote Originally Posted by b37x
    Maybe now we can spec Reckoning? (And use the new Seal of Righteousness Glyph)
    opened another thread for it recently but couldn't be able to test it at PTR since whenever i login world server is down or glyph vendor is not there.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=44058.0