Deleted

The great Warlock revision.

I guess that's it for 3.1...since there haven't been any further great changes to the warlock class past the first PTS-build.

In the past, Blizzard announced a great overhaul and revision for the warlock, especially for the shard-system, our demons ("we want you to bring out succubus and void again") and how the warlock survives or escapes melee...

So...where is it?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: The great Warlock revision.

HERE

Should answer all your questions.

omg, that video was rad, it's even better than the original

I agree with you mostly. While Blizz said they were not totally overhauling the class, they made very few changes. I think the changes they made created more balance among the trees DPS wise than they expected, possibly unintentionaly. I think the position in the office now is "Things are even, we aren't sure how or if its really what we wanted but lets stop touching it"

I think phase 1 went better than they expected for balancing the DPS, so they put the breaks on phase 2 so that they could focus on other things.

But there is still a couple weeks at least before release, so anything is possible. I think what they did for shards is all we are getting this round though.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Heltah
    HERE

true dat

...we all got rickrolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltah
    HERE

That video
    +1
    It speaks for itself really.
    I participated in the legendary BACON thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboner
    *Decimate nerfed bigtime
    Decimation now reduces the cast time of your next Soulfire by 35%. (Up from 30%)
    http://healmylifetap.blogspot.com/

on the TR 8/10 top teams have a warlock.

42 of top 50 have a warlock.

Warlocks need nerfs, not buffs, thanks.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by LeyLey
    on the TR 8/10 top teams have a warlock.

42 of top 50 have a warlock.

Warlocks need nerfs, not buffs, thanks.
    Well thats because locks are a good counter for the most common classes that played - Paladin and Deathknight. Oh and maybe you have also noticed that the warlocks playing were in a Pala+Dk team... Which by any chance Paladins and DK's could beat up almost everything, except maybe a mirror team. (Which brings up why the 3rd component of the team is a warlock)+ Locks need to be actually well geared to survive. Some classes dont.

Edit: Typing mistakes

15+ Year Old Account

only reason some bad lock's whine about they suck is because pala for example requires less skill to get to 1750 rating.
    while a truly skilled lock can reach world top 10.

thing is that lock needs skill to play and thats why those bad locks whine about it cause they need to l2p
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas
    only reason some bad lock's whine about they suck is because pala for example requires less skill to get to 1750 rating.
    while a truly skilled lock can reach world top 10.

thing is that lock needs skill to play and thats why those bad locks whine about it cause they need to l2p
    1. They can reach top 10 cos they were fully geared and they were teamed with a DK and Paladin which can win almost everything except some classes that lock could beat
    2. For your egsample of paladins-> They can reach 1750 rating easier because- Even with lackluster gear or pve gear they can still nuke and win ( and for locks with pve gear... prepare to get insta killed). Locks need atleast 900 resi so that they wont die instantly (and to get that amount of gear u need good pvp gear). AND to get that amount of good pvp gear u need arena points and maybe rating. Just tell me 1 thing: HOW D HECK ARE WE GONNA GET SOME GOOD RATING IF WITH THE GEAR WE START ARENA WITH, WE DIE INSTANTLY???
    3. Learning to play a lock is important but since we die too freakin easily, gear is absolutely necessary. In Tournament Realm u kno what? they already had the gear they needed, and yes a lock with gear and with a pala and DK theyre perfectly fine

EDIT: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowboner
    Was 70 or 65% before. And I haven't seen the nerf down to 30% so I guessed it was a sneak nerf hidden by a buff.
    It was 60% before yes, however the 35% is just one talentpoint spent in decimate , if you spend two points in it voila! 70% aka a buff. (up from 60%)

Warlocks were never bad in PvP to begin with. Bad players and bad, good players just needed to outlast certain onslaughts untill they achieved a good gear level. However, I also do agree with the OP that the shard system "changes" didn't fix a damn thing...oh... yay... DS doesn't require the target to die.. yippidy fricken doo da.

The only things that I am worried about is if they're going to continually fuck with affliction untill it becomes the LOL DEMONOLOGY of the 2.0+ era.

15+ Year Old Account

Has anyone looked at what spec these teams/locks are? Are they deep afflictions, meta, destro or what?

First of all i have to mention, that i don't play pvp, therefore i can't compete with good pvp-players and i don't realy care abaut the pvp-part of the game. So u can consider, that i'm neutral in this case.
    But i have to wonder abaut the reasoning of some players.
    A lot of people say that the warlock can't be so bad in pvp, because the worlds best teams have a warlock and that just bad players want to buff the wl. And that good wl-players do fine. So far its true. But these good players who rock pvp witch their locks, could also rock pvp with every other class. The thing abaut balance is, that two people with the same level of skill should have equal chances to win. Its not balanced, if it takes a good player to kill an average player.

Well the problem with the balance issue is that you lose any uniqueness to pvp. PvP in every MMO is going to have an oil vs water situation. The best challenge in the game is to simply work around it. PvP was never meant to be a 1v1 situation because that's where everyone keeps asking for their balance situation, use your compositions to overcome obsticles.. because hell you don't always need a paladin or a shaman.... There are plenty of teams out there that do well because they learn to adapt; which a large percentage of today's player base is too lazy to do.

Please keep comments about the changes to the class and not about the general state of PvP, there are plenty of threads on that.

I think the drain soul change will actually be enough to work with right now. Its a band-aid, they admitted that. It doesn't fix our PvP soul shard issues, and it doesnt fix the issue of running out while wiping on a boss. But it does work when you are clearing trash and need to stock up fast for the next boss.

Our dependance on shards has been diminshed over time. We need 1 per 5 hours for a fire/spellstone, 1 per attempt for health stones, 1 per soulstone CD, and 1 per boss attempt for the demon. Thats a lot less than it used to be. Now if you see the wipe coming you can just cast drain soul until the boss comes to punch you in the face.

I think the best fix for PvP would be to remove all shard requirements from our spells. There is no reason for them to exist in PvP.

U can get gear by doing battle grounds. Remember those? Get the blues from there. Run VOA and H VOA every week for the off chance you get an epic.
    If you don't mind raiding you can raid and then spend badges on epic pvp gear.

As for dying its a matter of knowing your class and the build to use to suit your gear. When i started pvp in S1 the only build i could use was Felguard build, because my gear didn't support anything else. Back then we just stacked Stam. Now u just stack resil gems. As i got all the glad gear and times changed SL/SL was the build to go. With a resto sham or pali healing there was a good chance of beating everything.

U need a good healer. Holy pali is good because of hand of freedom to remove stuns and let you get away. Hand of protection can stop all physical dmg to buy you space. Hand of sacrifice your healer can take 50% of your dmg for a short period. He can HOJ or repent the DPS on you. There is a crap load of options to keep you alive and i am not going to go through all teh lock survival methods.

Every warlock seems to have it in their head that we were "promised" an overhaul to the shard system. I dont ever recall seeing such post and fail to find it in any blue tracker. Soul Shards arent really needed, but neither is a system overhaul. I also fail to find any situation where you would ever need more than 32 shards, not even none stop wipes to bosses since you can collect them at any time now. Instances and you run low, DS a few trash mobs. Running arenas running low, fly out the sewers and DS a few mobs while you wait on queue. Its not like it would take you a half hour to refill your bags, on test i got 7 off 1 mob. As for the whole pvp thing, only spell where shard should be removed is shadowburn, not pets or anything because those spells shouldnt be viewed as an unlimited resource rather you should have to know how many you have and plan ahead. Only reason it should be removed from shadowburn is due to its unpredictability, meaning you pop someone with a burn and they get a massive heal before they die you lose that shad totally, all the other shard using spells are predictable and controllable by the lock.

As far as pvp goes melee escape that was never promised either. However we are getting 6% flat damage reduction, 5% more on soul link(glyph), guarenteed ranged daze(conflag), 70% speed reduction on shadowflame(glyph). Its pretty obvious blizz wants the lock to play the DoT and kite style and between nightmare, aftermath and glyph of shadowflame we got plenty of slows to do it.