Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does Sudden Doom proc DC critical at all anymore?

I have been noticing in my dps tests, that the critical chance on my Death Coils is now completely abysmal. I am talking int he 15-20% chance range. Considering most of my DC's are coming from sudden doom procs, I have been thinking that maybe sudden doom DC's are unable to crit anymore, which would explain such a low percentage.

On live my DC chance is normally double that, if not more due to sudden doom 100% crit procs.

Re: Does Sudden Doom proc DC critical at all anymore?

I know it is not guaranteed anymore. It just surprises me how low the critical chance I have been observing on Death Coil has been, especially since all my other skills are still in their normal 40-50% range chance of critical.

Figured maybe sudden doom could be the culprit.

Bananero

my tests show that sudden doom procs can crit... however, death coil procs crits more often

Death Coil gets very low critical bonusses. In fact, it only has the +5% from Dark Conviction.

Also remember that it's a spell, not a melee ability. While Crit Rating affects it, crit from Agility will not.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater
    Death Coil gets very low critical bonusses. In fact, it only has the +5% from Dark Conviction.

Also remember that it's a spell, not a melee ability. While Crit Rating affects it, crit from Agility will not.

I have about 18% increase in crit from crit rating... I have had recount tests where I did not even see a 18% crit chance for Death Coil.

Maybe Sudden Doom can proc, but is unaffected by crit rating? That could explain alot

18% crit chance, you say?

Quote Originally Posted by You
    I am talking int he 15-20% chance range.
    Then I see no problem here.

18% crit chance, you say?

Then I see no problem here.

No, 18% from Crit Rating alone.

I have 23.68% chance to crit with spells, counting Dark Conviction.

Here, Armory if you want to take a look: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...sles&n=Zanador

Interesting. Well, untill we hear of there being a bug, we can only blame bad luck.

Interesting. Well, untill we hear of there being a bug, we can only blame bad luck.

Yeah.

I am going to continue to do tests to see if I see it correlating, or if it was a fluke.

Would be surprised if it was a fluke, this was about 10 million in total damage done percentage wise, so it was a decent test.

I was just wondering if other people had seen the same as I have.

Well, to test my theory further, I decided to do a small test.

Basically, the 100 deathcoil challenge. On Live, I generated the RP to cast 100 deathcoils, to find out what the critical percentage was. Pestilence was used for the blood runes, so there was no chance of sudden doom muddling up the percentages.

This is what was found:

26% over 100 DC's. That is right around with my 23.68% spell critical chance.

I then replicated the test on PTR, using blood boil as the blood rune RP gen, so no sudden doom procs again. This is a copied character, exactly the same in gear and configuration. Dark Conviction, the only spell hit increase ability, does not change on PTR.

To say the results surprised me would be a gross understatement:

That is a 9% change in crit. Without sudden doom in the equation.

Well this test proves one thing to me, it isn't the death coils from sudden doom that have a decreased proc chance. 9% seems well outside the realm of +- chance...

More testing needs to be done

Whoa. Me thinks there be a bug now. Anybody willing to run a test as well?

That is compelling- however I caution that 100 death coils may seem like a lot, but it's really hardly enough to conclusively rule out RNG. I'm leaning on your side though that there might be a bug, but I think it would warrant more extensive testing, rather than drawing a conclusion just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshifter
    That is compelling- however I caution that 100 death coils may seem like a lot, but it's really hardly enough to conclusively rule out RNG. I'm leaning on your side though that there might be a bug, but I think it would warrant more extensive testing, rather than drawing a conclusion just yet.

I agree completely that more testing needs to be done- That is why I said it at the end of my post.

All this single tests proves to me is that if there is a problem, it is not caused by sudden doom.

I hope other people are willing to try out testing it as well, posting what their spell crit chance is, and a live test and ptr test, to see if there is a serious difference.

Hijacking thread. Zanador, what add-on are you using to watch your runes?

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Hijacking thread. Zanador, what add-on are you using to watch your runes?
    It's called Magic Runes. Get it from Curse :O.

Yeah, Magic Runes is good stuff.

If you are gonna hijack, why don't you run a Death Coil test and see if you find the same results I have? ;D

Not sure why the most obvious test hasn't been done. Here's a test where I never cast DC, these are just Sudden Doom procs.

It can most definately crit, and the crit chance after 50 procs is pretty damn close to my actual crit chance. Might be coincidence, but 30% is almost exactly between my melee crit (35.9%) and my spell crit (25.37) on my char screen.

Thanks for that moth.

That also raises an interesting point- Sudden Doom seems to be criting perfectly fine on PTR.

Could you also do a 100 DC test on live and PTR where you do not have any sudden doom procs, to test the critical chance of Death Coil itself?

Live

PTR

Pretty similar, and the minor difference could be explained by slightly better gear on live than in the PTR as it was copied over before I got a couple of items. The crit is less than with Sudden Doom procs, but I think it might just be RNG at work.

Ok, thanks moth.

Yeah, it is possibly RNG at work. I will do some more tests myself, and hopefully others will do tests as well sometime.