Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Deadly Gladiator's Frostwyrm, Blue Posts, Comics

The whole pure vs Hybrid argument is just so stupid, especially now that all buffs have been homogenized. The truth is that there is almost no such thing as a hybrid and a 5% penalty would destroy Blizzard's "bring the player.." philosophy.

A raid will never be dependent or expect healing from a DPS spec'd Shaman, Druid, or Priest. At the most they'll be asked to decurse, cleanse, or dispel... which is no different than the "pure" DPS classes who can do the same thing.

The closest thing to a hybrid would be Dks and feral Druids. I can't speak for Dks since I've barely looked at their trees at all, but Blizz has done a decent job of splitting DPS Feral from tanking feral. A Druid that switches between tanking and DPS will have to make sacrifices and perform worst than anyone with a dedicated spec (the 5% rule!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible
    On the whole hybrid thing I find it funny they only adress dps - and not healing as well.
    It only address dpsers cause there isnt a pure healer class. It doesnt address tank too, again cause there is no a pure tank class.

What ppl cant seem to understand is that, if hybrids do the same dps of a pure dpser, why a player should prefer a pure dps class?
    Don't answer playstyle and preference, cause if you start the game you cant know which class you will like the most, you will go on a forum and you will ask for a class suggestion and ppl will say that you should chose a hybrid so you can turn yourself in what you like the most.

The problem is another one, if pure classes are supposed to do more dps in a raid environment, why a raid leader should bring a hybrid to dps in a raid? Utilities? I think you can get all the utilities you need from healers, tanks and pure dpsers, so the problem keep going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Synergie
    If a mage sacrified his Iceblock...
    If a rogue sacrificed his Vanish...
    If a hunter sacrificed his Feign Death...
    So you are saying they should sacrifice more then they already have in order to do the dps they should be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by felix8024
    Do you wanna tank heal and dps with one toon pick up paly or druid
    You wanna dps and heal pick priest or shaman.
    You wanna dps with pet. Pick up hunter or warlock.
    You like dps like warrior do..pick him up, or maybe you prefer mage style so pick up one.

You choosing your character because he can heal tank and dps, or you pich it up becasue you like to play it ? If your character can dps only it means it is less fun?. I like my warlock because i like how he dps. He cant heal, who cares. I got shaman if i want to heal. Oh i like my shadow priest it is so fun to play and he can heal to.

Do i have to be sorry for you that you cant heal and i can. Or do i have to be shame that my toon can dps and have nice pet. This is your choose who you pick up.
    If toon can dps he should dps same as others. If he heal should heal as others. If he can tank he should tank as good as others. You like how its work???? Play it !!!
    Lol I am not saying anything about the fun factor. What I said was towards the perception of imbalance of classes in terms of PvE and PvP. Neither did I say to feel sorry for me, as an affliction warlock I have no problem at all topping the dps meters. If a class can dps the same as all the other classes, but has more armor and can heal/shield himself, do you not think that is over powered?

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin
    The whole pure vs Hybrid argument is just so stupid, especially now that all buffs have been homogenized.  The truth is that there is almost no such thing as a hybrid and a 5% penalty would destroy Blizzard's "bring the player.." philosophy.

A raid will never be dependent or expect healing from a DPS spec'd Shaman, Druid, or Priest.  At the most they'll be asked to decurse, cleanse, or dispel... which is no different than the "pure" DPS classes who can do the same thing.

The closest thing to a hybrid would be Dks and feral Druids.  I can't speak for Dks since I've barely looked at their trees at all, but Blizz has done a decent job of splitting DPS Feral from tanking feral.  A Druid that switches between tanking and DPS will have to make sacrifices and perform worst than anyone with a dedicated spec (the 5% rule!).
    How are there no such things as hybrids in WoW? Any class that has the ability to do 1 or more things well if they choose to is a hybrid class, at least in my opinion. The best example of a pure dps class is a mage. Mages do one thing and one thing only, dps. Warlocks and rogues, if geared and specced correctly can tank.... sort of.

Druids are a great example of class balance, I completely agree with what you said about them. They are meant to switch from one form to another, I mean thats the way their class is built. The reason they are so balanced is because they sacrifice something for each form. Its similar to warriors stance dancing.

The bring the player not the class mentality is awesome I am all for it, but I do hate the homogenization of the buffs, I really think every class should be able to bring something unique to the table without ever being needed (blizzard can do this if they put their minds to it); and I am not the whole ranged/caster/melee thing just something that is unique to each class or build that helps out but doesnt overly tip the scales.

PvE-wise I think the balance is getting there, its getting really close. The warlock builds are very very close to each other in terms of potential dps, so close in fact that player error/skill tips the scales. PvP-wise there is a VERY clear imbalance, my post was purely to show what I think is the major imbalance between the classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrnon
    Lol I am not saying anything about the fun factor. What I said was towards the perception of imbalance of classes in terms of PvE and PvP. Neither did I say to feel sorry for me, as an affliction warlock I have no problem at all topping the dps meters. If a class can dps the same as all the other classes, but has more armor and can heal/shield himself, do you not think that is over powered?
    Dude, do you think that be a priest who can heal will be usefull in pvp if i play shadow.
    Can i heal myself during combat, sure i can. But it will burn most my mana, and will be VERY unefective, read useless. Sure shamy elemental can heal himself too, so what, he will burn whole his mana and heal very little.
    If you go deep in trees you cant do a thing besides who you are. Yea i can drop shadow and do heal. But its useless without proper talents, glyphs, gear chants etc.
    So i still dont get it. Yea paly can bubble. But this is an exeption.
    I will tell it one more time. You wanna kick gnome asses, pick some class who you like to play.
    If you wanna heal pick something that you enjoy.
    Happy hunting

Quote Originally Posted by felix8024
    Dude, do you think that be a priest who can heal will be usefull in pvp if i play shadow.
    Can i heal myself during combat, sure i can. But it will burn most my mana, and will be VERY unefective, read useless. Sure shamy elemental can heal himself too, so what, he will burn whole his mana and heal very little.
    If you go deep in trees you cant do a thing besides who you are. Yea i can drop shadow and do heal. But its useless without proper talents, glyphs, gear chants etc.
    So i still dont get it. Yea paly can bubble. But this is an exeption.
    I will tell it one more time. You wanna kick gnome asses, pick some class who you like to play.
    If you wanna heal pick something that you enjoy.
    Happy hunting
    Lol again I will say it one more time. This is NOT CONCERNING THE FUN FACTOR. What are you not understanding. I have a lot of fun on my warlock, in fact its the only class I have leveled to 80. Did you not read my post? The fact there are exceptions makes classes unbalanced with each other. How are you not understanding this? I have fun playing WoW. I am merely stating what I think is wrong with the balance between classes. I never said that priests were overpowered, in fact I said they are balanced. There is a reason why I picked a paladin as my example, because a retribution specced paladin is the exception to all of the things I have said. You even say that the paladin is an exception. And sure you can play any class you like to play, but you wont kick gnome asses if they are paladins. Why? Because they are the exception.

Just because I point these things out doesnt mean I dont have fun playing WoW.

Would you like me to repeat everything I just said so you can finally understand what I am trying to get at?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrnon
    How are there no such things as hybrids in WoW? Any class that has the ability to do 1 or more things well if they choose to is a hybrid class, at least in my opinion. The best example of a pure dps class is a mage. Mages do one thing and one thing only, dps. Warlocks and rogues, if geared and specced correctly can tank.... sort of.
    Because they don't actually play anything like a hybrid. The fact that the enhancement shaman has a few healing spells in his book is 100% meaningless to a raid. The fact that a Fury Warrior can equip a shield is NEVER going to include or exclude him from a raid's roster. These specs are invited to the raid for the exact same reasons as Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Rogues; its dp classes competing for dps slots. Imposing a 5% damage tax on the "hybrids" is just going to squeeze them out of the raid once all the buffs are sorted out.

Druids are a great example of class balance, I completely agree with what you said about them. They are meant to switch from one form to another, I mean thats the way their class is built. The reason they are so balanced is because they sacrifice something for each form. Its similar to warriors stance dancing.
    Well, what makes Ferals an effective hybrid is the way that their trees are built and the fact that homogenization allows Druid to wear a lot of the same gear for tanking and DPS. A Fury Warriors hopping into Def stance is still going to be DESTROYED if he's asked to tank something worthwhile.

The bring the player not the class mentality is awesome I am all for it, but I do hate the homogenization of the buffs, I really think every class should be able to bring something unique to the table without ever being needed (blizzard can do this if they put their minds to it); and I am not the whole ranged/caster/melee thing just something that is unique to each class or build that helps out but doesnt overly tip the scales.
    PvE-wise I think the balance is getting there, its getting really close. The warlock builds are very very close to each other in terms of potential dps, so close in fact that player error/skill tips the scales. PvP-wise there is a VERY clear imbalance, my post was purely to show what I think is the major imbalance between the classes.
    [/quote]

I totally agree on both these points. I use to be a crazy altoholic but all the homogenization has really killed my desire to level up the different classes since a lot of differences are now just cosmetic.

You cant use your hybrid abilities in fight.
    You cant dps and heal because it suck.
    You cant dps tank and heal because it suck.
    You have an option to choose betwen dps, heal or tank tree (sometimes). When you make a choice, forget about hybrid problem. Sure you can switch your talents gather second set of gear. But this is your unique class thing, Like pet in hunter or warlock. You wanna lvl up one toon but still gather complete set for each purpose, choose druid or paly. You wanna have more toons, one for dps one r heal one for tank, pick one which you like to play. Dont like it after 30 lvls? change it. So if you are deep in dps and your opponent is deep in dps. He shouldnt say oh its priest hybrid, i will squeze him. Or oh its druid complete hybrid he can tank heal and dps so he sucks even more in every spec. One thing that doesnt match to jigsaw is fcuking paly bubble, but i think blizz got some idea how to in small steps turn it off.
    Happy hunting

RWeber

Because they don't actually play anything like a hybrid. The fact that the enhancement shaman has a few healing spells in his book is 100% meaningless to a raid. The fact that a Fury Warrior can equip a shield is NEVER going to include or exclude him from a raid's roster. These specs are invited to the raid for the exact same reasons as Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Rogues; its dp classes competing for dps slots. Imposing a 5% damage tax on the "hybrids" is just going to squeeze them out of the raid once all the buffs are sorted out.
    It might be meaningless to a raid now, but it's not meaningless to the player. Lets say that enhancement shaman gets bored and wants to do something new. They can just respec and start playing a healer, in the current faceroll content they can probably pick up full healing gear in a week or two if they don't already have it. Pure DPS classes don't have that luxury. When I started I wanted to play DPS, so I picked a pure DPS class. If hybrids could do the same DPS as pures then of course I would've picked a hybrid, it would be stupid not to.

With dual specs it absolutely does matter to a raid that a hybrid can change roles. Why take a rogue if a fury warrior can do the same DPS but can respec into a tank for fights or trash packs where an extra tank is useful?

What's wrong with having classes that buff and classes that turn buffs into DPS? That way you need a certain number of hybrids and a certain number of pure classes. The answer, of course, is that the game is being dumbed down to a state where you can just pick up a random raid off the trade channel and go smack down all the loot piñatas.

Quote Originally Posted by RWeber
    It might be meaningless to a raid now, but it's not meaningless to the player. Lets say that enhancement shaman gets bored and wants to do something new. They can just respec and start playing a healer, in the current faceroll content they can probably pick up full healing gear in a week or two if they don't already have it. Pure DPS classes don't have that luxury. When I started I wanted to play DPS, so I picked a pure DPS class. If hybrids could do the same DPS as pures then of course I would've picked a hybrid, it would be stupid not to.

With dual specs it absolutely does matter to a raid that a hybrid can change roles. Why take a rogue if a fury warrior can do the same DPS but can respec into a tank for fights or trash packs where an extra tank is useful?

What's wrong with having classes that buff and classes that turn buffs into DPS? That way you need a certain number of hybrids and a certain number of pure classes. The answer, of course, is that the game is being dumbed down to a state where you can just pick up a random raid off the trade channel and go smack down all the loot piñatas.

So what if someone specs something else? They are no longer a DPS class and they aren't competing for a DPS slot in the raid. And every class has 3 unique specs that play differently. If I get bored of my Affliction Warlock, I can respec destruction and its almost like a whole new class... except i don't need an entirely new set of gear. Its no different from going DPS hybrid to healing hyrbid. If healing appeals to you and its something you would have enjoyed doing at some point then you probably rolled the wrong class. I rolled an enhancement Shaman to DPS. I have no interest in ever specing healing. When Dual specs come out I'm going to have a PvE and PvP spec like most others.

Raids have designated tanks, designated healers, and designated DPS. If a Fury Warrior is invited to a raid it is to DPS, the chances of a raid asking him to tank are extremely slim and usually come down to one of the actual tanks having to leave early; in which case another DPS has to be brought in.

If "Hybrids" have a 5% damage penalty, after buffs are filled, who do you think is going to get all the DPS slots in a raid?

If I get bored of my Affliction Warlock, I can respec destruction and its almost like a whole new class... except i don't need an entirely new set of gear. Its no different from going DPS hybrid to healing hyrbid.
    Are you fucking retarded? No, pressing the same buttons to make different animations hit the boss is not even close to the same as going DPS->Healing.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    We don't think burst is a problem in PvP right now.