Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Standard MainTanking Build: 3.1 - 9722 [improved!]

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...6&version=9722

This is the top DPS/TPS version;

In the dps version i'll be running around with nearly 23% crit self buffed non-kings. I could edge close to 30% with the right food/elixirs/party/Agi enchants.

Questions, comments?

Edit: For those of you that think youre good threat-wise, you might want to think again. Naxx was the Kara of Northrend. This isnt hard. 25 man isnt hard. This stuff is aimed to gear us for the "real" content later in this expansion. Now that everyone is nice and comfy in their purples, youre going to find 10man a little bit closer on the threat meters. Not only that but this glyph is going to save many wipes when things enrage; http://ptr.wowhead.com/?item=45747

Are you sure youre going to be 20% ahead of everyone in non-gimmick fights now? Later you might feel silly for running faster as your raid wipes. Dead paladins have a runspeed of 0%.

Re: Standard MainTanking Build: 3.1 - 9722 [improved!]

No PoJ? One extremely useful talent tbh, easily worth 1% crit. I'll probs grab 2/2 SA, and drop devo for DS/maxed divinity due to the raid makeup as well as grabbing PoJ, but you have the base spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco cracona
    No PoJ? One extremely useful talent tbh, easily worth 1% crit. I'll probs grab 2/2 SA, and drop devo for DS/maxed divinity due to the raid makeup as well as grabbing PoJ, but you have the base spec.
    Dropping devo for max divinity is horrible.

PoJ is gimmicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest
    Dropping devo for max divinity is horrible.

PoJ is gimmicky.
    Horrible? How, when I will have a resto druid on every raid?

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Horrible? How, when I will have a resto druid on every raid?
    1, not in ever 10man,

2, the armor bonus is worth it.

3, rest druids can still die.

4, sense most builds will support 3pts its worth it. ALso come 3.1 u still get the healing bonus no matter what aura is on.

PoJ is not worth it, use a speed pot if it is needed. The threat come ulduar will be more important with geared out dps and OP bosses.

I find it funny that tanks dont get the higher gear level the stronger your avoidance/mitigation is. Threat is only scaleing through str. and if you notice the gear in ulduar isnt double the str we have now. So compare that to dps, where every stat or rating goes toward more damage.

Smart tanks said so in November, and bad ones will learn the hard way. Come Ulduar threat wont be a joke, so if you wewre lazy and developed bad habits you will pay.

this will be my build.

The only 10 mans I do are for achievemennts, and they do generally have a resto druid in. The armour increase is slight, I'm not sure how much benefit it'll have tbh; it is 2% more healing on me and a raid-wide -15% damage over a small amount of ac? I don't think that the extra ac will outweigh the use of DG and the free healing on me tbh, but we'll see.

PoJ is nice for movement; if/when the DPS in my guild ever get up to a level where I need to care about TPS then I'll drop PoJ, overall it's a very useful talent though IMO. Don't forget that threat scales via hit, which is coated on most ulduar tanking items, and BV as well as str - I can't forsee threat being an issue for me for a while.

Ill just get tuskar if I want to run faster. No need to waste 2 precious talent points for what a enchant or pot can do in those rare times its needed.

Threat is only scaleing through str.
    Its more like this (when over ~1100 str, if under BV>Hit);
    STR>Hit>BV>AP>Expertise>Crit>AGI>SP>Haste>STA

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

The only 10 mans I do are for achievemennts, and they do generally have a resto druid in. The armour increase is slight, I'm not sure how much benefit it'll have tbh; it is 2% more healing on me and a raid-wide -15% damage over a small amount of ac? I don't think that the extra ac will outweigh the use of DG and the free healing on me tbh, but we'll see.

PoJ is nice for movement; if/when the DPS in my guild ever get up to a level where I need to care about TPS then I'll drop PoJ, overall it's a very useful talent though IMO. Don't forget that threat scales via hit, which is coated on most ulduar tanking items, and BV as well as str - I can't forsee threat being an issue for me for a while.
    your guild sucks, or your dps sucks.

I have warriors, putting out 5.5k dps; enhancement shamans putting out 6.5k dps.

And hit is a joke, right now I have 6percent and I miss only 4 or 5 of anything in one 9min fight.

open your eyes compare the amount of str boost were going to get come Ulduar, it aint much more than 10 to 15 per iLevel while dps all their stats go toward more damage.

plain and simple.

PoJ is gimmicky, sure, but it's a useful gimmick. Surely not a "must have" but for a lot of fights that 15% speed is convenient, even if it's not necessary. When it comes to what you drop for PoJ, I think the 2% crit from Conviction is cheap enough. 30-50 more TPS? Meh.
    Looking for a great guild on Tichondrius?

By the end of Ulduar, in full 219-239 ilvl epics, your dps will put out ~8-10% more damage and threat than they do currently, at least according to Blizz' design of the shirts they're handing out for testing Ulduar, roughly an 8% stats increase. Unless you are using the maximum effective rotation, which clearly a lot pallies still are not with 2/2 imp judgement, you can NOT talk about needing more TPS if you aren't even pressing the keys in the right order. Your threat is gonna scale just fine, even if you only get a 5% increase in threat, all this does is close the gap we have currently between us and the dps.

Back on topic, I think this is the absolute core of being a pally tank:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9722

I personally will probably be using:

or

The only reason for this is we now have 2 prot pallies and no ret pally, so one of us is spec'ing for HotC, and the other will have imp devo aura, so depending on which i end up with will determine which trees i'll be forced to invest points in.

As for glyphs, exorcism, SoV, and DP are a must for a MT pally, possibly AS if you have no intention of doing anything other than MT bosses with this half of your dual spec, in place of exorcism if you dont have enough expertise, in place of SoV if you for whatever reason have a surplus of it.

For all purpose tanking HotR seems pretty solid and you definitely dont want AS if you intend to add tank.

No PoJ? One extremely useful talent tbh, easily worth 1% crit.
    Oh my eyes. >.<

ill do this.

25man raid.
    still unconvinced by ardent defender if you have decent healer.(hots putting you over 35% etc)
    we usually have 2 ret and i'm the mt so judgment of the just is a must.

I agree with Bluerelic. I can't imagine that I need that much more threat to keep up with the dps in ulduar looking at the gap between their threat and mine. Extra threat is nice but I don't think I have to spend most points in threat increasing talents. My build:

Last point goes to SA 2/2 or Crusade 3/3. I have to check what my mana is going to do.

lol u dont think were gonnna need threat yet u still spec into threat talents... hmmmm Anyway I agree with bluerelic as well ill be doing the same spec as him cept putting 3 point in heart of crusader instead of reckoning. I kinda think its funny u guys are speccing into extra crit when threat IS a joke and forever will be. OK our strength is getting little increase? What about our stamina? We get spell power from more stamina. Also dps would have to DRAMATICALLY increase for them to compete aggro wise like the old days. It would have to like literately double without us gaining at all. Blizzard changed the way tanking works, they wanted to make it more fun. It will always be like this. Until a next dramatic change like the next expansion or something. Ur using threat as an excuse to spec dmg so u can be top on dmg meter DONT U LIE!!!! ;D

those saying there is no need for threat have obviously never done 6minute Malygos with a stacked caster group with double sparks. sure that is situational but since he's not an undead mob it shows how our threat is normally.

I also personally think Divinity is useless, we are already the easiest tanks to heal (least spiky) that the extra healing will just be Overhealing. i'd rather spend those points to utility (Divine Sacrifice and imp HoJ, but that is my personnal choice)

here will be my build:

i'll go like this

some comments.

1) Yes i know that crusade is better in tps than Sanctity of Battle, but i'll like to try the 15% damage bonus with exorcism (maybe with exo glyph) for pull and in case add tanking. if will show not so good i'll go back to crusade.

2) every spec without Judgement of the Just is worthless as amaintanking build.

All tanks are easy to heal in current content, claiming that 5% healing will all be overheal means you never recieve any heals ever that dont top you off, like you've never dropped low enough on hp to need multiple heals to get you back to full hp, which is needless to say, just not true. Current content is nothing to gage how easy you are to heal, if that 5% is overheal 80% of the time, so be it, the other 20% of the time is worth more than the 0% of the time bosses are stunable, and the 1% of bosses that need an interrupt, let alone need an interrupt that only you can provide.

Skipping 5% healing done to you, is like healers skipping talents that make them better, the only time overhealing is bad is when the entire heal is overheal, theres no such thing as too big of a heal if it cost the same damn amount of mana. Not to mention Disc priests actually benefit more from the larger heals when they crit, cause it makes an absorption bubble to protect you equal to 30% of the heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anhtem

2) every spec without Judgement of the Just is worthless as a main tanking build.
    This is misleading, since in one sense you are correct, if you are the MT on Patchwerk, this is almost guaranteed to be a waste, odds are you have a feral druid or a DK tank somewhere in the midst of your raid. However, warriors dont thunderclap when dpsing single target or bulding OT threat, so if all you have is yourself and some warriors, than its not a waste.

However, any fight which requires more than 1 tank, 3d Sarth comes to mind, or even something more common, like KT, often times you're the only tank on your mob, and no one else is bringing that buff, 20% melee reduction on your two guardians (by alternating judgements, since threat doesnt matter) or if you're MT 20% on KT himself since now your OTs are off tanking guardians. Basically, on any single mob encounter where all your tanks are on one mob, be it a taunt switch or just there to soak hatefuls, JotJ is worthless for you. But on any fight with multiple adds, even if you are the MT, you are probably the only tank that is now attacking the boss, cause your OTs have their own jobs to do.