Thread: Lock Arena.

Lock Arena.

Im sure there is probably another thread about this but i cba to search for it, so basically i was an experienced player in arena on my warlock is s2-s3, my rating wasnt too bad either (ranged from 1700-1800) I decided i will be playing arena with it again but i havent played lock in ages, rerolled dudu. I have heard all the arguements saying that warlocks have crap defensive abilities and thats being changed next patch i have read, but they are still one of the top classes on the US ladder, because there damage to multiple targets is quite decent. I am posting this asking what spec i should look at when 3.1 goes live? what glyph's i should use and a basic combat rotation? (as before it was pew pew fear sl.)

Please post constructive post's i am in the dark as to what i should do.

Re: Lock Arena.

Its more or less still up in the air on which spec is going to be the best for 3.1 Arena. One thing is for sure, we're probably going to see more destro locks in arena due to the conflag change and the availability of Molten Skin.

Some breakdowns of specs:

Chaos/SL (works best with healer or rogue)
    Glyphs: Soullink, Incinerate/Immolate, Healthstone/Fear (any combination that you see fit, SoulLink is necessary though).
    Key Playpoints: Shadowfury, Conflag Daze, Portal, Fear, Instant Succy (if you spec for it)
    "Rotation": Dot, Dot, Immolate, CB/Incinerate, Conflag

Haunt/SL (works best with healer or rogue)
    Glyphs: Soullink, Shadowflame/Siphon Life, Felhunter/Healthstone/Fear (any combination that you see fit, SoulLink is necessary though).
    Key Playpoints: Instant HoT, Shadowflame Slow, CoEx/ImpFear, Portal, Fear
    "Rotation": UA, Haunt, dot, dot dot, fear, drain life

Metamorph/Ruin (works best with ret pally, DK, or frost mage, though its rare to see this team over 1800 because they lose to holy pally teams)
    Glyphs: Soullink, Shadowburn, Healthstone/Shadowflame/Fear (any combination that you see fit, SoulLink is necessary though).
    Key Playpoints: Red Felguard and Stun, Purple Fairie and Stun (avoid fear/pally fear), Fear
    "Rotation:" Pop Purple Fairie at the right time, Immolation Aura, dot, dot, sbolt, sbolt/sburn
    **Note: i haven't played Metamorph since 70 and i don't keep up with the new metamorph pvp talents, this may be more fire oriented now for pvp, but i think the fire stuff is mostly pve.

Possible 4th spec... UA/SL/Molten Skin
    Just like haunt, more mitigation, less health returns, less dot damage, this would have to be played with a healer. This is similar to the old SL/SL (cringe).

We're currently at the top of the US ladder because locks are Anti-Pally, which is the top class in arena right now. Unfortunately, that's mainly only when we have a pally or shaman as a teammate, otherwise we generally die too fast to do anything mainly to DKs who can kill you while you kite them without ever taking a melee swing at you (deathcoil, huge dots, annoying ghoul, lolgoyle, dancing lolweapon). Luckily these are seing some nerfs. Pally/DK is the main reason lock double dps (or any double dps) teams are hurting right now.

I currently play Haunt/SL with a Mut Rogue at 2k rating. On live, Haunt/SL is the most viable spec, but some people are making destro and metamorph work. The 3.1 changes make both of these specs more viable as well. So basically.... choose your playstyle and then choose your team composition based on that, or vice versa.

Re: Lock Arena.

Thanks for that it was really informative looks like i will play with the Haunt/SL and test the destro pvp build when 3.1 goes live as that was always very appealing to me.