Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...

Re: The poor state of Bear Tanks in 3.1 according to Ensidia Feral tank

I already have to watch Omen pretty closely as it is now, we have mages, DK's, warrs and especially warlocks atm doing insane amount of damage and therfore threat. There are more classes doing over 6k dps raid buffed but I only mentioned the ones that have the biggest trouble with dropping aggro with abbilites. The biggest issues imo are for Warlocks atm, at least in our raids, with only one abbility on a 5 min cooldown, it is a real problem. It may work now as most fights are ~3-4 minutes except the very end bosses in Naxx and Sarth/Maly. Ulduar will bring longer fights for a longer time span than Naxx did, what will we do then if our TPS is slaking behind and thouse classes can't maximize their DPS becasue we cannot hold our ground? It's simple: get a Pally/Warr or a DK to tank, they scale a lot better on threat.

It is not a problem if you are in a mediocre guild with average 3.5k dps-ers in their raid, indeed that is true. But there are plenty of good dps-ers and good guilds for this to be a problem, it's not just the top 100 guilds in the world that have shitloads of DPS in a raid. Each realm has at least 4-5 guilds compeating for server firsts and therefore they will have issues where bear tanks might see most of their raiding as kittys. I am of course waiting to see the final changes on the PTR, but I don't want us to have to wait for T8 and gear over 226 item level so that we see improvements.

Don't forget that a lot of classes are going to see a buff to their average DPS. Will we as bears scale in TPS in the same way they scale in threat? I can't asnwer that for sure as others surely tested more than I did on the PTR. Maybe more replies from top end guilds testing things like bear tanking can be added here. I am eager to hear more.
    /hug

Yeah the same is when I am mt:ing naxx, I actually have to use my cat gear to generate enough threat. With my normal tanking gear im really trouble with fire mages, locks and warriors going over all the time. Still how can our Warrior MT have no problems at all with threat generation and he is stamina gemmed & enchanted and im pure avoidance gemmed & enchanted. Same can be seen with malygos and os 3d if im tanking the minidrakes. He can keep the aggro even without someone pumping threat to him and I cant even if I pop berserk and tf from the start with my normal tanking gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    Perhaps swipe could be changed to add a dot, or, anything really.
    at first it sounded not so bad, but then i thought of swiping bear/bear and bear/bear/bear setups in arena and burst into laughter...*giggle*

Quote Originally Posted by Osjur
    Yeah the same is when I am mt:ing naxx, I actually have to use my cat gear to generate enough threat. With my normal tanking gear im really trouble with fire mages, locks and warriors going over all the time. Still how can our Warrior MT have no problems at all with threat generation and he is stamina gemmed & enchanted and im pure avoidance gemmed & enchanted. Same can be seen with malygos and os 3d if im tanking the minidrakes. He can keep the aggro even without someone pumping threat to him and I cant even if I pop berserk and tf from the start with my normal tanking gear.
    Oh yea, when we put one of our two warr tanks on the job or our DK (taking a trialist pally atm, since we didn't use one so far, I'm keen to see him perform), any of them, this issue is non-existent almoust, still thee are issues for them too but not as much as for a feral druid. I also equip quite a few dps items to stay ahead, but the current content permits it easely (so do both our warrs). Ulduar will not, and even though cat gear and bear gear will roughly be the same in most slots, I'm not sure how this will play out. Seeing high-end guild ferals worried, worries me too a bit, but I am an optimist, we shall see.
    /hug

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    The main issue i still have is aoe threat compared to DKs and paladins. Heck, even warriors.

You can swipe for live, but it's still only short range, while the DK can throw his aoe anywhere, and the paladin can ignore and spend his gcds on other things while the stuff on the ground will tick nicely.

Perhaps swipe could be changed to add a dot, or, anything really.
    FF and Feral charge? or you're the kind of tank that choose a spot to tank and then cast entalling roots on yourself till you flag out of combat?

Quote Originally Posted by voider
    FF and Feral charge? or you're the kind of tank that choose a spot to tank and then cast entalling roots on yourself till you flag out of combat?
    No the problem is not that we don't have ranged aoe attack except for FF (which was buffed in threat finally) but the problem has been with swipe not generation enough threat and that 360 degree swipe will not solve that issue, it only makes bad bears job easier. Imo they should change it back to be frontal only but make it do more threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Osjur
    No the problem is not that we don't have ranged aoe attack except for FF (which was buffed in threat finally) but the problem has been with swipe not generation enough threat and that 360 degree swipe will not solve that issue, it only makes bad bears job easier. Imo they should change it back to be frontal only but make it do more threat.
    Well not every role class can be the same... otherwise blizz just do a mega-warrior or whatever you want (mega-druid, mega-dk, mega pally) and remove all other class from game...

Tanking with a druid for long time and i don't have any problems with actual tanking in bear... far target.... charge/growl/FF so i don't see the point in QQ that druids suck on ranged for some reason if the target don't come to you... you go to the target... simple as that...

And i agree with you in that point.... having a 360º swipe it's a retarded ideia... removing all the skills needed to a player tanking with a druid but oh well, alot of QQ with noobs and casual ppl that can't place mobs properly to swipe in front of the bear...

Tbh i don't see the point... it's so easy to tank with swipe now that there's no target limit i think that ppl are just lazy to change targets on tanking to build treath with maul/mangle/lacerate and puting all the hopes on the trash-tanking-bear on spam 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 (got swipe on key nº1)

The good part of this game is having some challange but each day, each patch the game it's more and more for casual players or those who don't have time to explore his class and i'm not QQing ^^

bottom line... if for some reason you're going qq for days and days with bear tanking crap just remember you've the best class in game for respec (4 roles in one char), not good enogth... reroll other char... start a dk for exeple, you skip those awsome 55 levels.

there's no doubt all the other tanks do more dps. It's natural since they cant switch form and go full dps (op for pvp) so naturally they cause more threat (minus some sick skills like consecration). So far blizz has approached our mitigation and threat problem very weird.
    kitty num num

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Tun, a druid tank from Nihilum/Ensidia posted about his experiences of feral tanking on the PTR at the European WoW forums.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....23002582&sid=1

Of course, since it's the European forums, the chances of someone like Ghostcrawler ever reading it must be close to zero. Perhaps someone with the US forums access could repost it with a link to the original thread. The devs seem to listen the top guilds more than they might listen to someone else, so it might help to re-post Tun's post over there.

Some quotes from his post:

I've noticed this too. I don't mind bears losing a bit of their health if the balance it by making them a bit less damage, but in reality that's not what happened with the armor nerf at all. Despite Savage Defense. And the threat issues on PTR are very much real.

So yeah, please link to this at the US forums.
    Emo druids are emo druids

<Insert your class> is the worst <dps/tank/heal> atm represent 90% of the topic I see on the internet

/tired

Quote Originally Posted by Cema
    <Insert your class> is the worst <dps/tank/heal> atm represent 90% of the topic I see on the internet
    Death Knight is the worst tank/dps class atm

Am I doing it right? Oh wait... Something is wrong here...

QQers and Anti-QQers are the same. Just calm down and look at the situation.