As a feral tank, gem hit?

I'm afraid to tank raids on this toon for one reason, I don't generate enough threat. My highest steady TPS is about 3.5k with bursts going near 5k.

My hit is painfully low but I don't know if I should gem for +hit for extra threat, or just gem pure agility for more avoidance/atk power?

Thanks. Also, any gear improvements or general flamming is welcome. This toon gets limited nax 10/25 or any other raid time as it is my alt. So please keep that in mind

Edit: In the haste of my stupidity, i forgot to include armory even though I have it loaded up...

Here it is: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...wsong&n=Moogie

15+ Year Old Account

Re: As a feral tank, gem hit?

Can you please provide numbers?

Around 150 hit rating you are good to go. Instead of stacking more hit above (around) that number, use expertise, it's much better and could be used as indirect mitigation.

Edit: Yes, I do gem for hit/expertise in yellow sockets.
    I am a Leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

Bumpser daisy

A lot of 'feral tank' gear has Hit and Exp on it already.

I like to put +Hit on Gloves and gem any pesky yellow sockets with 8Hit/12Stam
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

The number one job of a tank is to piss off a mob so much that it attacks them and not others. Very close to number 1 is number 2 : live through it. There's no reason to live through it if you can't hold it. I would honestly suggest getting much more hit (at least another 60 or so) along with taking a look at your spec. The only problem I see with it is the improved mangle. Every feral I know says its all or nothing with that.

Tankspot has a great guide over at http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...uid-guide.html

Check it out and it might help you a little bit with what you are lacking (threat, in your case).

Happy tanking.

PS: I am not trolling I am just trying to help a fellow tank.

15+ Year Old Account

you can argument exact the opposite way, too.

a tank's job is to become healable. being healable means: avoidance till it spreads out of your ears.
    If you are equipped in some way so you are healable without any problems, you can work on your threat.

before that point, dmg classes must accept, that they may cannot perform 110% dps.

In my opionion, the best threat generator on earth does not its job if he dies as 4- or 3-shot. one exceptions: extreme-hard-hitters like patchwerk, there the healers must do their job. but even there threat is not the main problem ... healability (?) of the tanks is.

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria
    you can argument exact the opposite way, too.

a tank's job is to become healable. being healable means: avoidance till it spreads out of your ears.
    If you are equipped in some way so you are healable without any problems, you can work on your threat.

before that point, dmg classes must accept, that they may cannot perform 110% dps.

In my opionion, the best threat generator on earth does not its job if he dies as 4- or 3-shot. one exceptions: extreme-hard-hitters like patchwerk, there the healers must do their job. but even there threat is not the main problem ... healability (?) of the tanks is.

First, I want to say, I do agree with you.

However, I'm not saying to take one over the other, exclusively. A 1 shotted tank is about as useful as a single piece of TP after Mexican food. But with his case, only putting out 3.5k threat will severely gimp his raiders often. It's sad but true that if he can't keep threat (or merely not make the dps slow WAY down. Some slowing is fine) that he will be replaced by someone who can.

Anyways, best of luck getting smacked in the face repeatedly ;D

if u have trouble holding aggro some extra hit will help but it won't save the day. don't expect to reach threat from other tanks.
    kitty num num

Thanks for all the replies.

I am geared sufficiently enough to tank most 10 man bosses and I have tanked Sarth +2D a few times but I'm thinking that's just cause of the over geared paladin spamming heals on me.

I think my survivability is fine for what I usually tank with this toon and really I just need more threat. I'm at 9.#% expertise so gemming more really won't help as the won't get parried mark is 13-14% expertise? So I think the best bet right now for extrat threat is to gem hit until I can get more gear with hit on it

Another quick question. I've been using this rotation for bosses. Mangle > Lacerate to 5(with Mauls and using Mangle as it lights up) > Swipe till Mangle is up > Refresh Lacerate > Swipe/Mangle > etc...

Is that the best way to do threat?

Also on the improved mangle... I decided when I put the build together to not get it, but there wasn't really any other place to put the point, so in to improved mangle it went.

no no, it's quite simple really. your gear just sucks that much. don't try to gem for hit or agility, just do more naxx and ride the welfare epic train to stardom.

if you have blues and have problem with threat, it's not your hit that's the problem, it's your blues.

EDIT: and +275 health on your chest is not okay.

Deleted

Your gear is fine.

- max-out imp. Mangle (you don´t need shredding attacks)
    - lacerate does 90% of its aggro on the first hit, the dot doesn´t do much aggro
    - maul with every auto-swing, 60% of our aggro comes from maul

These things are important:
    - keep FF up
    - mangle when its ready
    - lacerate when you don´t mangle
    - maul with every swing of your auto-attack

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de
    Your gear is fine.

- max-out imp. Mangle (you don´t need shredding attacks)
    - lacerate does 90% of its aggro on the first hit, the dot doesn´t do much aggro
    - maul with every auto-swing, 60% of our aggro comes from maul

These things are important:
    - keep FF up
    - mangle when its ready
    - lacerate when you don´t mangle
    - maul with every swing of your auto-attack

Totally agree with this, your gear is fine, spec a little off as imp mangle is very very important and with the right dodge talents, you'll have basically unlimited rage and you won't need shredding attacks unless you're going some OT/kitty dps spec. Your rotation needs a little work but that's it, feral tanks are great I've really enjoyed mine. Hit is important but I would purely gem hit, nor would I waste a socket on a 16 hit gem or better. Most tank necks/capes/rings have the little hit you need.

Mmk, Thanks again all

15+ Year Old Account

I do significant more threat with the following than with simple mangle/lacerate+maul spam:

three macros:

1:
    /cast Mangle - bear
    /cast !maul

2:
    /cast lacerate
    /cast !maul

3:
    /cast swipe
    /cast !maul

Priority 1: mangle when it's ready
    Priority 2: lacerate when it's a) not on 5-stack or b) about to expire
    Priority 3: swipe
    Priority 4: FFF when it's about to expire.

on trash of course only swipespam with 1 stack lacerate ticking on the main target.