Thread: Post Your UI

Looking at UIs in this thread makes me want to resub just to make some of my own again...

Quote Originally Posted by magicaldandruff View Post
    I know you PM'd me about this, but more people who use Weakauras should know this. Most of the spell effects are in-game, but oddly enough more than half of them aren't displayed in the lists when choosing a new model. So I use this little program called WoW Model Viewer. It lets me see and find the file path of certain spell models I want instead of using WeakAuras' infuriatingly clunky interface. So I just find what I want and tweak it to be more shiney!

As for the aura strings, I can put them up on pastebin maybe if enough people show interest, but the crests you would all have to make yourselves or get them from me. I made them pretty easily though from the images on WoWwiki though. Then you'd have to tweak them to your resolution. I play on 1920x1080.

*update - Apparently, this guy on youtube HATES all of them. It stung a little but everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Could you pls pls make the weak aura strings for balance druid available ? :-) Would be super cool because i really like that Weakauras !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedlogic View Post
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...813_190944.jpg

My current UI. Any criticism is welcome, I'd like to work it out a bit more for a final version.
    What's the raid cd tracker on the left of your player frame?

Deleted
    Hermes @ Joyful

Deleted
    Last edited by mmoc5b4b236024; 2013-12-19 at 12:49 PM. Reason: too big

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhinkis View Post
    Looking at UIs in this thread makes me want to resub just to make some of my own again...
    Do not tempt me!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    There's like 5 different bar textures and 6 fonts, figure it out :P
    <3<3
    good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Constie View Post
    More helpfully, the fonts and bar textures you're using seem quite inconsistent, and consistency is good because it helps you correctly interpret similar things as being similar (and also looks more polished). You should at least use one and the same font for all "numbers" text, one for names, one for chat, etc.

The biggest issue I have is with the duplicate information, though. The Shield Block cooldown is on your action bar as well as in the middle of your screen, you have a notification saying Ultimatum happened right next to a timer for Ultimatum that wouldn't be there if Ultimatum hadn't happened, you have a player frame and a target frame right next to a combined player and target health display, and so on. Removing duplicate information makes it easier to quickly find the important information that's left.
    the texture and font usage i agree with, i just haven't been bothered to fix them. i will however go down to two or three fonts because i use them to differentiate information. if i go down to two fonts i'll remove the pixel font and use a ss font, while having combat related fonts be code_bold and the rest is the goddamn-font-i-use-all-over-the-place.ttf. personally i won't mind myself using a pixel font as well, because they're all used for different things.

our stances on duplication of information differ though: i think it's perfectly viable to display the same information twice. a percentage text of your target's health is in a way a duplication of showing the health bar. displaying the cooldown timer as well as the cooldown circle is duplication of information. yet most of us use both of them to increase functionality, which is really what i'm going for.

the shield block displays two different things, one is the uptime of the buff and the other is the cooldown, as well as the rage requirement for it, which is also a way to duplicate the information which is already available to me with the power text and rage bar.

the ultimatum is best used as soon as possible, so i have multiple ways to ensure that i see it during combat(which gets awfully hectic in challenge modes and the like). besides the first notification is pretty damn clear, but if i miss it i can safely rely on the button in the middle. i do the same thing for Sword and Board which sends me a message in the middle, makes a sound and lights up the button. now i agree that there is a point when it becomes too much and by that point i'll be ready to remove one of the elements, but at the moment it suits me perfectly fine.

on a slightly related note (it's related because it's my UI): that damn bottombar is being removed.
    Last edited by mmoc8b8621127c; 2013-12-19 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Do not tempt me!
    That is sooo much what got me back

Watch @ 1080p, and its almost like playing on my pc

I'll probably never finish those last 4 to be honest...the way Weak Auras loads some of these models makes me sad. Not to say the others are complete, though. I tinker with them everyday.
    Drool is the only word i can come up with after seeing that vid.

Deleted
    Watch @ 1080p, and its almost like playing on my pc

I'll probably never finish those last 4 to be honest...the way Weak Auras loads some of these models makes me sad. Not to say the others are complete, though. I tinker with them everyday.
    I don't think that this is realy good for a progress oriented raider, as i think it uses too much space and information is not shown as clear and direct as possible - but hell, it looks damn awsome! Combined with the sound effects this just kicks ass!
    Sadly I would propably never use something like that because of the downsides mentioned above - but I realy envy the style

EDIT:
    Just remembered Paragons Garrosh Video. Maybe my point is wrong and you can play with every UI - even as a progress raider...
    Last edited by mmocf671b58f24; 2013-12-19 at 05:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pHishr View Post
    our stances on duplication of information differ though: i think it's perfectly viable to display the same information twice. a percentage text of your target's health is in a way a duplication of showing the health bar. displaying the cooldown timer as well as the cooldown circle is duplication of information. yet most of us use both of them to increase functionality, which is really what i'm going for.
    That's true, on account of how those are different ways of presenting the same information, each more useful in some situations and less in others. There's nothing wrong with having your target's health as a bar as well as a percentage text, but what I'm objecting to is that you have two target health bars when you could comfortably fit both the absolute values and the percentage text on just one.

I understand what you're saying about why it is that way, but I would urge you to consider that a low signal-to-noise ratio is more elegantly fixed by reducing noise than by adding signal. Anecdotally, the challenge modes I've done have been with either this UI or this one, and not only has combat not gotten hectic enough for me to miss procs despite only having them displayed once, but I've also generally had greater situational awareness than the rest of my groups, and I would credit the lack of clutter in my UIs for that.

Edit: One thing I think we can agree on is that your tooltip probably shouldn't be overlapping with your minimap and damage meters!
    Last edited by mmocf531e475c8; 2013-12-19 at 06:44 PM.

Deleted
    Another thing to keep in mind is that you have to find something that works for you, your (Constie) UI would never work for me because it's not what I'm used to, and even if it provides all the information I need I wouldn't be able to discern it quickly enough for my own taste.

I also object to showing the same information twice, but I see things from a different perspective. I look at information as coming through to me through channels. Say for example, one channel is visual, one is auditory. Currently I'd say your Ultimatum display shows once through the auditory channel by playing a sound, and then twice through the visual channel through the icons/text. In my eyes, this would clog the visual channel.

Again, this is just an example, as there are several visual ways of showing the same information that doesn't impede (for example, a lot of people show spell icons on castbars, as well as spell name. Two different ways of showing the same info) on your screen estate, but I think your (Phishr) Ultimatum displays show too much of the same.

Honestly, simply removing the icon on your text display would solve the entire issue in my eyes, cause it's such a small one.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Do not tempt me!
    Willing to kill for this.
    Last edited by mmocd31d5ad991; 2013-12-19 at 07:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shredster View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is that you have to find something that works for you, your (Constie) UI would never work for me because it's not what I'm used to, and even if it provides all the information I need I wouldn't be able to discern it quickly enough for my own taste.
    I've heard this a lot of times, and I've never quite bought it. To my ears it sounds a lot like "Keybinding my abilities would never work for me, because I'm so used to clicking and I wouldn't be able to remember 30 new button combinations" - well, yeah, that's why you don't switch over all at once. But yeah, ultimately the most important thing about the user interface of this video game is how comfortable it is for you to use.

Deleted
    I've heard this a lot of times, and I've never quite bought it. To my ears it sounds a lot like "Keybinding my abilities would never work for me, because I'm so used to clicking and I wouldn't be able to remember 30 new button combinations" - well, yeah, that's why you don't switch over all at once. But yeah, ultimately the most important thing about the user interface of this video game is how comfortable it is for you to use.
    It isn't the same, because there are multiple ways of achieving a clean, minimalistic UI. There are however not multiple ways of achieving the speed of using hotkeys rather than clicking manually on the icons.

here is my current UI. i really don't like the raid frames though.

Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2013-12-19 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melian View Post
    I don't think that this is realy good for a progress oriented raider
    I never said I was good! Anyway, I can kind of agree with your point on presentation of information, but people process info differently, and it would be difficult to satisfy everyone's needs. Other than the typical DBM warnings, I assess shit from being raid aware and looking at buffs/debuffs on my raidframes, but that's just the only-got-time-for-FLEX raider in me speaking. I barely even pay attention to CD trackers now since I use the audio cues, giving me instinct-like reactions (jk...maybe).

Something important I forgot to mention. One of the limitations of the 3d models in weakauras is that whenever you do something that goes fullscreen, say opening the world map or a in-game cinematic, it will stop all active animations. The only work around I found was to either shrink the world map size with that arrow icon in the corner, or use a map addon that modifies the size also. I haven't really brought it to the author's attention since it doesnt really bother me.

Remember to read my previous post with the Class crests and backup your shit. I'd link to it but i cannot brain right now after all those copy/pastes.

More Weak Aura Strings
    Druid Crest - It should include both balance/resto and will switch accordingly
    Eclipse (Lunar)
    Eclipse (Solar)
    Short CDs - Anything <30 seconds I think, also might have stuff not used anymore like tracking 3 mushrooms
    Long CDs - Anything >30 seconds
    Barkskin
    Cenarion Ward
    Moonfire
    Sunfire
    Druid Shift - This makes that little puff of smoke whenever you change forms. Gets old pretty quick though.

I'll get to the other classes eventually. Promise.

P.S. I realized after posting this that I could've just signed up on pastebin and kept them all in one place, but it has a limit of 20 pastes a day.
    Last edited by magicaldandruff; 2013-12-19 at 08:26 PM.

Deleted
    That's true, on account of how those are different ways of presenting the same information, each more useful in some situations and less in others. There's nothing wrong with having your target's health as a bar as well as a percentage text, but what I'm objecting to is that you have two target health bars when you could comfortably fit both the absolute values and the percentage text on just one.

I understand what you're saying about why it is that way, but I would urge you to consider that a low signal-to-noise ratio is more elegantly fixed by reducing noise than by adding signal. Anecdotally, the challenge modes I've done have been with either this UI or this one, and not only has combat not gotten hectic enough for me to miss procs despite only having them displayed once, but I've also generally had greater situational awareness than the rest of my groups, and I would credit the lack of clutter in my UIs for that.
    we simply acquire information differently then. i understand your point about not needing to duplicate information though, but i've spent so much time minimizing my UI over the years that i've realized that i often sacrifice functionality for size/looks/whatever. when i started playing during mop i came to the realization that i'm not being effective enough.
    perhaps i can tone it down somewhat, but i'd rather err on the side that gives too much information than the side that gives too little. another realization i've come to is that not sometimes, personal preference comes out ontop of functionality (to an extent of course). i like seeing certain things. an example of this is my right combat text which shows damage done when it's above 70k or something, because i enjoy seeing how much damage my spells do after a certain point. this doesn't increase functionality the slightest, but it satisfies me.
    Edit: One thing I think we can agree on is that your tooltip probably shouldn't be overlapping with your minimap and damage meters!
    at least on this, we agree. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by shredster View Post
    Honestly, simply removing the icon on your text display would solve the entire issue in my eyes, cause it's such a small one.
    which is a solution that is pretty fucking obvious, when you think about it.

i actually ended up changing a few things you guys pointed out.

http://abload.de/img/wowscrnshot_121913_23kmln6.jpg

Dropping a slight update because I have a funny screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdx463pejx...813_130143.jpg

Edit: Phish. Pixelfont plz.
    Last edited by iKrow; 2013-12-20 at 12:30 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iKrow View Post
    Dropping a slight update because I have a funny screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdx463pejx...813_130143.jpg

Edit: Phish. Pixelfont plz.
    dem stax

Also I agree with this entire paragraph:
    Quote Originally Posted by pHishr View Post
    we simply acquire information differently then. i understand your point about not needing to duplicate information though, but i've spent so much time minimizing my UI over the years that i've realized that i often sacrifice functionality for size/looks/whatever. when i started playing during mop i came to the realization that i'm not being effective enough.
    perhaps i can tone it down somewhat, but i'd rather err on the side that gives too much information than the side that gives too little. another realization i've come to is that not sometimes, personal preference comes out ontop of functionality (to an extent of course). i like seeing certain things. an example of this is my right combat text which shows damage done when it's above 70k or something, because i enjoy seeing how much damage my spells do after a certain point. this doesn't increase functionality the slightest, but it satisfies me.
    I think we, as a community, already went overboard with the minimalism once and that was back in WotLK. I think priority needs to be put on functionality, above all else.

15+ Year Old Account

Start of OOMM UI 11.

WeakAuras used for unitframes, cooldowns, castbars.
    Using computers to make demons kill dragons: Warlock beta spell WeakAuras here, @OOMM_UI, OOMM@kt-us