Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    Hi everyone!

This is kind of off-topic here I think, but seeing how many awesome artists are present here, I have to ask. If I really missed th thread feel free to point to the right one.

So, I always was interested in UI making and I made several ones during WotLK, but I always ended up using ELVUI.
    Now I really want to create my new unique one but I need a little help with this.

How do you start making your UI? What addons you look for?
    I'd like to create a minimalistic yet easy to use Interface for Battlegrounds and Arena.
    I'm playing a hunter and every other caster classes.

I would like to use WeakAuras for sure and create some cool looking graphics with it.

Any help is appreciated.
    You need to get very familiar with a few of the addons that do a lot for you, your unit frames addon and WeakAuras are the main ones. For unit frames I've used Stuf for a long time because it is so flexible and so fast to change things. When you're learning you don't want to get bogged down in configuring things, so the faster it is the more your creativity can flow. So if you have an idea like "I wonder if this would be better if my focus bar was huge", then you can have it done in 5 or 10 minutes, and be in a BG testing it out. etc.

It's also a good idea to have a different UI for each character/alt that you have. Make them all as different as possible. That way you will really get a feel for everything you can do before you decide what sort of thing you really like best. If you commit to one UI you can end up getting stuck in a rut of your own making, and not wanting to change much because of having put so much work into it already. If you see what I mean.

It's also good to collect bits of UI (not only WoW UIs, other games too) that you think are great as inspiration. Starting a Pinterest board is a pretty easy way to do that.

Here's my Moonkin: https://imgur.com/MUiowLw

ElvUI and WeakAuras.

I finally made a video for this:

Very similar edit style and music to my last video, so pretty unoriginal in that respect. Also, I think the app I used to screen capture (Screenflow) compresses the footage as it captures it, which has made the colours go off. Reds often get brutalised by any JPEG style compression, but it's oddly made a lot of the turquoise 1-pixel lines go totally grey. But anyways... hopefully it doesn't affect the video too badly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post

Very similar edit style and music to my last video, so pretty unoriginal in that respect. Also, I think the app I used to screen capture (Screenflow) compresses the footage as it captures it, which has made the colours go off. Reds often get brutalised by any JPEG style compression, but it's oddly made a lot of the turquoise 1-pixel lines go totally grey. But anyways... hopefully it doesn't affect the video too badly.
    I'm sooooo happy with my current ElvUI-made UI, but I think I have to try your UI out... Looks incredible!

Deleted

Looks amazing, how easy would it be to edit to fit my holy priest, i.e change trackers on grid etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ballong View Post
    Looks amazing, how easy would it be to edit to fit my holy priest, i.e change trackers on grid etc?
    Thanks. If you're familiar with Grid and WeakAuras, then pretty easy (copy the Resto shaman weakAuras and edit them). If not, then not so easy :-)

Deleted
    Thanks. If you're familiar with Grid and WeakAuras, then pretty easy (copy the Resto shaman weakAuras and edit them). If not, then not so easy :-)
    Weakauras im good with, not so much with grid x) What gridplugins do you have installed currently?

Quote Originally Posted by ballong View Post
    Weakauras im good with, not so much with grid x) What gridplugins do you have installed currently?
    None. It won't break things to add some.

Aaaaaah a download link!!
    I've been creeping on this UI for a while now, seriously thinking I might need to try it out, even though I've been with elv for so long, I love this so much
    Last edited by Larinnian; 2015-01-18 at 03:56 PM.

PM Requests are CLOSED | DevArt | TwitchTV | Zen Pigeons

Maybe I'm just behind the times in UI design, but can someone tell me what the apparent timer/progress bars are in Kait's UI? It seems like it would be CD/DoT/HoT tracking, but none of it is labeled. Keeping track of multiple items without labels seems like it would be a headache.

10+ Year Old Account

Did you create auras for every single spec in the game?

I'm really impressed by your design skills, but I'm almost more impressed by your dedication if you did.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    Nope. There's a note on the WoW Interface page about only putting in the specs they're familiar with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taira View Post
    Nope. There's a note on the WoW Interface page about only putting in the specs they're familiar with.
    Ah, okay. I didn't visit the official page for the UI.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Maybe I'm just behind the times in UI design, but can someone tell me what the apparent timer/progress bars are in Kait's UI? It seems like it would be CD/DoT/HoT tracking, but none of it is labeled. Keeping track of multiple items without labels seems like it would be a headache.
    I find it easier than reading a lot of text repeatadly. The colours are the ability icon colours, and these days there's usually only 4 or 5 in your rotation (if you exclude long cooldowns, which I am happy tracking with the action bar icons). Maybe I'm an overly visual person, but I find distinct colours way more intuitive than small texts. Anyways, the timers don't really define the UI so I think it would have a pretty similar feel with a text based system.

Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post

I'm really impressed by your design skills, but I'm almost more impressed by your dedication if you did.
    No, I'd really like to, but I don't have the time to get them all done. What I'm hoping to do is fill some of the gaps for classes I have at level 90+ and post the strings on the wowinterface page. The rest I guess I should maybe make a tutorial or two explaining how to copy the existing ones and alter them to work for other classes. Although people could just google how to use WeakAuras and figure it out :-)

I find it easier than reading a lot of text repeatadly. The colours are the ability icon colours, and these days there's usually only 4 or 5 in your rotation (if you exclude long cooldowns, which I am happy tracking with the action bar icons). Maybe I'm an overly visual person, but I find distinct colours way more intuitive than small texts. Anyways, the timers don't really define the UI so I think it would have a pretty similar feel with a text based system.
    Maybe an icon would help with recognition. Are the bars Weak Auras that could be configured to use text if desired, or are you using another addon?

Maybe an icon would help with recognition. Are the bars Weak Auras that could be configured to use text if desired, or are you using another addon?
    Ye it's all WeakAuras

My screen breaks Kaits UI xD as its so long :P

I hope you don't mind me dissecting your UI kait, seeing how you made / animated elements to add into my UI ^^ (planning on making / coding a whole UI now)

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzhi View Post
    My screen breaks Kaits UI xD as its so long :P

I hope you don't mind me dissecting your UI kait, seeing how you made / animated elements to add into my UI ^^ (planning on making / coding a whole UI now)
    Np problem at all. Go for it! :-)

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account

Awesome work tempest, but i have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by tempest420 View Post

I only modded my talent frame. I used kgPanels to do all the heavy lifting. Basically, if you create a new panel in kgPanels, you can attach it to the talent frame using the anchor controls and then put some code in the scripting sections. In the case of modding the talent frame, the anchor and parent frames are PlayerTalentFrame. As for scripting, it's basically 3 lines of code.

PlayerTalentFrame:SetBackdropColor(0,0,0,0) - this makes it transparent

PlayerTalentFrameTab1:SetAlpha(0.5) - this makes the first tab on the bottom left corner a little lighter. You will need to repeat this for each tab. (Tab2, Tab3)

PlayerTalentFrame:SetPoint("TOPLEFT",635, -395) - this changes it's position. You can fiddle with the numbers to move it wherever you want.

This process can be repeated/extended for any frame really. If, for example, you wanted to mod your garrison mission frame, first type in /fstack and hover over the frame to get it's name and then do all the same stuff over.
    I have a panel I want to use (would really really like to use yours) and I have it attached to the PlayerTalentFrame, which sections do the scripts go into? I have tried them in several different spots but I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

OnShow should be just fine. On the subject of my talent frame, what the screenshot doesn't show is that it looks kinda weird when you're on spec or glyph pane so I am planning on fixing that soon; will share the tga file once it's not wonky looking.
    Last edited by tempest420; 2015-01-19 at 05:31 AM.