Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Resto] Healing with no mods ?

Hey,

I'm kinda new to resto, but some times healing AV at 70, or healing as elemental in reg instance while leveling in WotLK.

My question is not about templates or 3.1 (for a change ), but about how to heal.

Actually, I don't like GRID, and I got kinda lost while trying to set up Pitbul.

So is it possible to raid heal with the standard WoW UI?

I've found a way to heal in a party, not the better way, but decent. Concerning raid, Shift+V turns the raid member health bar on their head, but the range is limited, half the range of Chain Heal, I guess.

So how do you guys with no mods heal? Is the Raid panel useful? Do you move all the group windows from that panel on your screen?

Any tips is welcomed !

Zakk

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: [Resto] Healing with no mods ?

xperl for me

Possible? Yes.
    Effective? No.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&n=Isabis

I use grid.

You see on the bars if the friendly target is close to you or not.
    Dunno about the others but think they show how mutch hp they have loose even if they can be 1000 yards away.

Not 100% though.

the only tip i can give you is:

dont even think of going into 25 men raid as a healer with only standard ui. you need to use some custom ui, whether its grid, xperl, healbot or whatever, just not the standard ui.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by procne
    the only tip i can give you is:

dont even think of going into 25 men raid as a healer with only standard ui. you need to use some custom ui, whether its grid, xperl, healbot or whatever, just not the standard ui.
    That's not custom UI, these are only raid frames.

Yes you can heal w/o any raid frames, but it's not convenient. You can drag raid frames from standar blizzard's raid window, set 'range check' in interface option and you'll be good.

Just it looks ugly, and takes too much on your screen.

Also, some totems addon so you dont have to put 20 icons on standard action bars is nice to have.

TL;DR yes you can heal with standard ui, but high chances that you wont be THAT good.

why do you not like grid?
    it's compact and shows all the information needed (but mana )

anyhow, i know a priest that is healing with standard UI only. he is frequently demanding main tanks to be set in the raid interface, so i guess he is using that in addition to dragging parties or players all over his screen. but it is possible and he is doing his job.

what i can recommend for healing is a mouseover macro, it saves you from targeting your partymembers when healing them. also focus the earth shield target and either use another macro to apply it to your focus or use an addon like totem timer to manage totems and elemental shields.

15+ Year Old Account

I healed MOST of sunwell with standard UI, no probs, i healed the rest and WoTLK's full crappy content with grid, it does make a serious difference.
    You could use clique along with your grid for say your clense or something up to you, its very doable with standard ui, it HELPS with the likes of grid and clique but you dont NEED them to do things.
    Totem mods, i dont use any tbh, i have my 4 standard totems sitting out on my ui, with my "on occasion" one beside them(only about 7 spaces in total used).

I dislike using mods but some are actualy very useful for raiding and can make your life a little easier.

We have a guildie who heals with the standard UI and she's never had any problems as far as I know. Its just not as easy IMO. I don't think its impossible at all. But I think you'll find you may find that some of the things you don't like about healing are solved by Add-ons.

I use XPerl + Clique. Once I discovered click healing I just can't go back. Now XPerl I can really take or leave. I like it for the ablity to show health deficit numbers and because its pretty clean looking. Tho at this point its missing some things that I hear GRID provides. May give ye ole grid a shot at this point.

15+ Year Old Account

Grid is amazing, anyone who doesn't like it probably has no clue how to set it up (which takes roughly 30 seconds to figure out).

It's basically a more efficient and customizable version of the standard blizzard raid frame, BUT it can also show other incoming heals so you don't end up sniping / overhealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakknafein
    Hey,

I'm kinda new to resto, but some times healing AV at 70, or healing as elemental in reg instance while leveling in WotLK.

My question is not about templates or 3.1 (for a change ), but about how to heal.

Actually, I don't like GRID, and I got kinda lost while trying to set up Pitbul.

I've found a way to heal in a party, not the better way, but decent. Concerning raid, Shift+V turns the raid member health bar on their head, but the range is limited, half the range of Chain Heal, I guess.

So how do you guys with no mods heal? Is the Raid panel useful? Do you move all the group windows from that panel on your screen?

Any tips is welcomed !

Zakk
    This is exactly what i do besides using Oemn i use no mods for healing.. In my interface i tell it to show distance in Raid UI all it does is Greys out people who are too far away..

True it dosnt go the full range of 40 yrds as Chain heal does but... After a while once you raid in a place for a little you begine to just know how far away or if your in range or not....
    This method works there is nothing wrong with it besides the face that the raid windows are a bit clumbsy looking and you cant lock them in place. It works very nice for in 10 Mans. In 25 Mans your screen might get a tad crouded... and well healing in a 40 man AV is pointless. I usualy only leave open 5-6 random tabs and jsut say screw the rest chain heal well hit them anyways if they are close enough..

With this method i tend to hit #1-3 on top heals still really the UI u use dosnt matter.. It all comes down to skill and knowing your surroundings and being able to moniter everything..

=] GL hope this helped in some way possably ha ha

I have never used a healing mod in a raid (i tried a few out in 5 mans and they just annoyed me), most i have used is CT Raid in Vanilla wow, and then X Perl (just for the names on the screen really.. i have healed with the inbuilt one, its doable but its just not as detailed)

I have healed everything, every raid dungeon (sept AQ 40) every heroic..yaddah yaddah.. and i have never had a negative comment about my healing, but have often had people tell me my healing is good.

my tecnhique? well i set all my heals up to buttons 1-?? and just memorize which finger at which location does which heal....and stare at the bars and glance to look where i am (not stood in wrong place etc) and move about accordingly (during parts you got to concentrate)...when its easy then i just put on a film and glance at the screen every now and then or do a bit of dps on the side

special abilities are only things i have to look at my UI for, but i know where they are and so i can CLICK (yes CLICK) them when needed

and thats it... it works really well, i have done it on every heal class at some point in one raid or another with no problems (although i admit that healing in WOTLK is a little harder due to having more heals and thus more buttons)

Oh and one thing that i dont hear a lot about now but was quite useful in Vanilla wow... predictive healing, being able to watch whats going on and where and seeing whos going to need a heal.. ie if you notice the boss about to whack some one you charge up your heal... or if you see the mage is one spell away from pulling aggro then be prepared to switch to him to heal... of course TANKS come first and then your best dps and CC followed by other healers... but just being able to second guess a heal can be real helpful (you dont always have time to do this though)

Good luck to you, just mess about and find out what works for you... most healers i know swear by mods, but i just find mods limiting and clunky... but then am the type of guy that likes to drive old cars just so i can hear and feel like am driving a car and not flying a spaceship (like most modern cars make you feel like)

Well we're shaman, we don't 'quite' need addons to perform at our best. Druids for example have to use a healing addon.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

I personally LOVE grid. I personally heal on a druid mostly. When I started using grid and clique with my druid I went from the bottom of the heal charts to topping them on many fights and coming in second on other fights. That is in a raid where I'm the only member that isn't completely geared out. It makes a HUGE difference for a druid healer. I'm not sure how much it is needed for a chain heal spamming shaman though.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakknafein
    sry not possible

Quote Originally Posted by Cain
    why do you not like grid?
    it's compact and shows all the information needed (but mana )
    It shows mana if you get grid mana bars plug in for it.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

who ever was the one who said its not possable to heal with the WoW UI ur retarded.. I heal with it and i know several other top end healers in the game who heal with it.. ur Dumb

es it is 100% possable to heal with the WoW UI

15+ Year Old Account

Hi there, made an account to reply to this :P !

I'm a resto druid and I personally do not enjoy any ui alterations. I have a hot timer and ORA for tank windows, but other then that no healing specific ones.

You open up your raid panel and can drag the groups where you want them it is effective I get very nice results and I'm by no means a bad healer.

Not everyone likes mods that flip the ui around. I can understand that. Call me old fashioned :P In any case it is easy for some people to heal like this others not so much. To each his own.

To answer the question it is very possible to heal this way. Just bring out the raid windows and position them where you want them. Just remember you can bring out the window that you are also in so look at the groups carefully the first few times you might end up with two groups. ORA helps with this it alerts you to when you've been switched into a different group and that allows you to change your raid windows.

^_^ Hope this helps out and Happy Healing!

It's possible, but it's easier to use an addon.

I used the basic wow ui through t6 content, but I switched to addons in wotlk, because we're not a one spell class anymore.

Quitting the fail that WoW has become when Aion comes out. No point to play hardcore when any idiot can have the same gear as you.

I use healbot myself. I've tried grid but it's actually *too* compact for me.

Whatever you do though, use mouseover macros.