Eye for an Eye - Worth it?

Hey guys for arena and Bgs I have always Specced E4E.....is it a waste?

Re: Eye for an Eye - Worth it?

Its a fine talent, the damage deffo adds up.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

honestly I'd rather spend the points elsewhere. Ret burst isn't as good as every says it is. It really requires a lot of lucky RNG and timing with all your specials up to burst someone down. E4E is situational and random damage at best.

I have always taken E4E when spec'ing for pvp. Its a huge bonus for ret pvp. The laughs I get out of it are great too. Backlash damage dealt as the result of a shadowbolt or pyroblast crit that kills the caster is an absolute riot.

Before the release of Wrath, Eye for an Eye used to return damage to the attacker based on critical strikes before resilience was factored. I am certainly not the best person to explain this.

-Mage attacker with 30% crit chance
    -Paladin target with 7% crit reduction. 14% crit damage reduction

If one of the spells cast by that mage was supposed to be a critical strike, but was not due to the effects of resilience... Normal damage would be dealt to the target(paladin) and backlash damage would be returned to the mage based on the critical strike damage.

I haven't seen anyone break down the workings of E4E since the release of Wrath. It may have changed.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    I have always taken E4E when spec'ing for pvp. Its a huge bonus for ret pvp. The laughs I get out of it are great too. Backlash damage dealt as the result of a shadowbolt or pyroblast crit that kills the caster is an absolute riot.

Before the release of Wrath, Eye for an Eye used to return damage to the attacker based on critical strikes before resilience was factored. I am certainly not the best person to explain this.

-Mage attacker with 30% crit chance
    -Paladin target with 7% crit reduction

If one of the spells cast by that mage was supposed to be a critical strike, but was not due to the effects of resilience... Normal damage would be dealt to the target(paladin) and backlash damage would be returned to the mage based on the critical strike damage.

I haven't seen anyone break down the workings of E4E since the release of Wrath. It may have changed.
    This is mechanically odd, given that they never actually tracked whether an attack "would have been" a crit if not for resilience at all. What they do is generate a second roll for non-crits against on-crit effects with a chance of "success" based on your resilience. I'm not necessarily challenging your assertion that the damage being dealt to the mage has an overall 30% chance to crit, but mechanically this would be a very odd way for it to work.

EDIT: As for Eye for an Eye, it's probably not worth it in arenas unless you're the first-target kill choice for your team, and even then its questionable. Not that it will never matter, but it will probably matter less and less often than other talents you can buy. For BGs, though, its pretty damn epic.

In my opinion, it is definately worth it in PvP. Once in arena, a rogue stun locked me (bubble and trinket on CD, and my team mate was dead) and the rogue essentially killed himself through hitting me (retri aura also did quite a bit) but basically the rogue died before the stun locked ended. :P

its still the same as before, but not worth it. no one focuses the ret

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    its still the same as before, but not worth it. no one focuses the ret
    You sure don't play arena at 80, hehe. I get focused all the time for draining my healer / waiting for him to use his trinket, then nuke him after the cd's are up again. And in double dps setups I also get focused.

I am definately staying with it for BGS.

As for arena, probaly not gonna spec it, unless I am too broke to respec..lol!

TY for all the great Info guys!