Frost Tanking Glyphs

Hey all, im really not sure what to take for glyphs.

Atm im thinking:

Unbreakable Armour - thats a given methinks, no issue there.

Howling Blast - Ive researched this a fair bit and looked in other posts and i think im gonna at least give it a go cus i reckon i can make a good rotation out of it.

But:

Icebound Fortitude - Worth it? surely most frost tanks with average gear will receieve 30% from their def rating. This glyph seems to be for tanks with bad gear, or tanking in dps gear or something. Dont rly understand the numbers.

Disease - Useful? on bosses i guess it saves me a U and F rune which i can use HB but in trash with the extended duration of FF and BP surely i wont rly need to reapply that often with pest.

Hungering Cold - Reduce by 40 RP, is this worth it? Couldnt u use HC as an opening move as it applies frost fever so no need to pestilence.

My spec is http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...6&version=9757

so comment on it if you want, ill take the advice, so long as its worded in a flame-free manner

Cheers.

Re: Frost Tanking Glyphs

Icebound Fortitude - Worth it? surely most frost tanks with average gear will receieve 30% from their def rating. This glyph seems to be for tanks with bad gear, or tanking in dps gear or something. Dont rly understand the numbers.
    Research (not mine) from others on this site, has shown that on PTR you got the 30% ADDED to your base with this glyph, which ultimately means (if aforementioned research is accurate) that this glyph will give you more mitigation even if you're already defcapped, when using IF. So, if true, there is value in it. If not, its useless.
    <==== B Team Raider: probably not welcome in your group.

would be nice to know how the icebound glyphe works...

Icebound adds 30%.

So if you have 540 defense, which makes Icebound reduce damage by 35%, the Glyph would make it about 45%.

Its alright.. My Ice Bound lasts for 21 seconds, so I'm thinking about getting it.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7382676545570345084

Quote Originally Posted by Darkemis
    Hey all, im really not sure what to take for glyphs.

Atm im thinking:

Unbreakable Armour - thats a given methinks, no issue there.

Howling Blast - Ive researched this a fair bit and looked in other posts and i think im gonna at least give it a go cus i reckon i can make a good rotation out of it.

But:

Disease - Useful? on bosses i guess it saves me a U and F rune which i can use HB but in trash with the extended duration of FF and BP surely i wont rly need to reapply that often with pest.

Hungering Cold - Reduce by 40 RP, is this worth it? Couldnt u use HC as an opening move as it applies frost fever so no need to pestilence.

My spec is http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...6&version=9757

so comment on it if you want, ill take the advice, so long as its worded in a flame-free manner

Cheers.
    RE: Your build, here is my feedback:

Hungering Cold - not worth the glyph OR the talent point for a tank. Just my opinion.
    Annihilation - OB is a big part of any frost tank's rotation for single target threat; as such, you should have 3 points in this.
    Icy Talons - You don't need it.
    Merciless Combat - OK, once and for all - THIS IS NOT A TANKING ABILITY. It's a DPS and PVP ability. Tanks don't need it and the two points are better spent elsewhere. I never understand tanks who think taking this is a good use of 2 points. You'd be SO much better off putting those 2 points in 2H weapon spec, or Bladed Armor, or almost anything else that would generate TPS EARLY in fights, not at 35%.
    Unholy Command - you really don't need it, it's nice to have, but really more of a PVP ability IMO. The 2 points could be better spent.
    Acclimation - has never been that great of a talent, but with all the casting damage in Ulduar, maybe it's more useful now. I doubt it. Get Imp. Frost Presence, it grants 2% resistance to ALL damage, which is probably more useful than a good boost to resist that occurs only 3 out of 10 times.
    Epidemic - not totally necessary but a very nice talent I ALWAYS took until 3.1

You should probably have either Subversion or SoB as a frost tank - personally I think SoB is the better of the two (as a frost tank I can never get enough RP).

Just my 2c... good luck and let me know how it goes!

Diablo

<==== B Team Raider: probably not welcome in your group.

diablo has it spot on.

And YES, take HB. That is the only ability that generates good AoE threat as frost. BTW rotations as a tank = NONONONO

As for glyphs, replace the HC glyphs with the HB glyph

I saw some comments over at Wowhead that indicate the Icebound Fortitude glyph stacks beyond the defense cap, but it may just be a bug:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43545#comments:id=676259

However, I think that the glyph is still fairly useful for Frost tanking, at least until you get to the defense cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by L2theuka
    "OMG Rock is so OP NERF NERF NERF, paper is fine though" - Scissors

no, even past the defense cap TBF glyph is amazing

it's very simple what it does

read IBF tooltip. take the number "2" replace with "3" drive on merrily knowing you got a free 10% reduction at the low low one time only cost of a glyph slot. IBF glyph, is probably not only good but the best tank glyph for DKs.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

i run with Frost Strike, Unbreakable Armor and Disease.

Disease = one extra Obliterate/HB per 20 secs, at the cost of a plague strike/icy touch/blood strike. Additionally, it refreshes the OTHER DKs diseases too, allowing them to push out more dps if you coordinate it properly. Also saves you a GCD and for what its worth, aligns your diseases so they run at the same duration, which i like.

UA is a given

Frost Strike i worked out to give the best overall increase out of most of the viable "strike" glyphs (rune strike, obliterate, frost strike) - it gets spammed a lot after all.

the HB glyph seems kinda redundant if you use glyph of disease, IBF is decent but uneccessary - i cant think of many times i have died with IBF (unglyphed) up and thought "damn, if only i had that extra 10% reduction".
    Hungering Cold is simply not a tanking glyph, i dont even have the ability in my raidspec and im sure plenty of other tanks dont either.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+Mill&n=Lolelf
    my armory if anyone cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Viskahn

Frost Strike i worked out to give the best overall increase out of most of the viable "strike" glyphs (rune strike, obliterate, frost strike) - it gets spammed a lot after all.

I don't have any links, but I'm certain rune strike glyph > frost strike. Since runic power is never a problem. Especially with 2pc T8. and especially with Scent of Blood. (So OP)

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...4&version=9767

I obliterate more than I should, but it is MASSIVE threat so I don't mind.&#160; I main tank for our guild (we're on Mimiron 25), and my threat is off the charts.

UA Glyph 100%

Rune Strike if you want threat for single target. (depends on if ur a trash tank or MT really)

Same with obliterate glyph. can switch for disease if u AE more than single target. however I am ST tanking a lot. and Ive never had a problem with AE threat. ever. any frost spec. with killing machine and death chill.

The IBF Glyph takes your dmg reduction from about 51% to 61% if youre at armor cap.&#160; It is not worth it. 12 sec up time of 60seconds&#160; = 2% dmg reduction overall IF you pop it on cooldown, which you shouldn't and most don't. so not worth it.

and for a quick switch for Imp icy talons (my dual spec just in case) take out killing machine and death chill for icy/imp.