Hodir & Frost Resistance

Question :
    Is Hodir doable on Normal/Heroic (and maybe Hard mode on both if possible) without tank having any frost resistance besides GotW / Frost Resistance Aura and similar raid-wide buffs ?

Reason I am asking is that while reading on bosses I remember seeing a post where there was posted "blue" about Blizzard not liking Resistance fight and not making future events requiring them.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Hodir & Frost Resistance

Just killed him tonight with nobody in the raid having any FrR besides the Aura. I DID pop Aura Mastery whenever I could to absorb some of the damage from the Frozen Blows.

Make sure your healers get into the Starlight during Frozen Blows - that haste will let them heal through it with ease. Otherwise, it can get preeeettty bad without Frost resist.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

It is highly recommended you have a frost resist tank for hodir, but it is obviously doable for some without. There are ways around it though by having a dk taunt while hodir does the buff thing, then the dk will pop his cooldowns and eat the damage. That is something we tried 2 nights ago.

Cylon's Warcraft Blog - News, guides and more! Come join my community.

Yeah only tanks need FrR for Normal/Heroic, as for hard mode I don't know yet, my guild is planning to use it but we are stilll wondering how much as we can't afford to loose too much dps.

I have tanked him be myself in 10man and 25man without any frost resistance gear (just some buffs on), he hits pretty much but not too much. So if you have bad healers do it with normal and FR tank, otherwise bring just one tank!

ps. Im prot paladin

Our MT is a warrior who wore no FR gear because he needed his regular gear to keep up threat while kiting. Every time Hodir did Frozen Blows he just popped shield wall/other CDs, and if they were on cooldown we had a holy(or disc, i dont pay much attention to him ) priest hit him with guardian spirit. Most of the raid damage is avoidable in this fight, so healing isn't really too bad. We had much more trouble killing the cat lady

Edit: we did have GotW and pally aura up though

GotW and pally aura don't stack, only the highest of the 2 counts (meaning the 130 or so from the aura for frost resistance and the rest gets the resistance from gotw (fire/nature/arcane etc.)).

I tank him through both phases with all the level 80 frost resistance gear on in 10 man. It puts me under the defense cap, but his crits in phase one are mitigated by my health pool, so it's not too much of a problem. But with my aura and gear, I resist 15k of his frozen blows. We found it easier for me to tank both phases than have a second tank on phase one.

We did Hodir (10 man) last night for the first time with me tanking (unholy DK) with no frost resist and it was actually rather easy. Saved AMS/AMZ/IBF for Frozen Blows and I never took a hit over 20k, most closer to 10k.

Not sure how this will work for other tank classes as it was heavily dependant on proper cooldown usage, but if you have an unholy DK as a MT don't even bother with the frost resistance it isnt worth the stat gimp.

Also it seems during Frozen Blows if you avoid the melee swing you avoid the frost damage as well.