Enhance T8.5 4 Piece Bonus

Anyone else think this bonus is absolutely pointless? Unless they have changed MSW from a PPM to just proc based attack, why would 20% increasd chance to proc something on a PPM be good? :-\

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Enhance T8.5 4 Piece Bonus

I highly doubt Blizzard would have made the bonus like that if it was working the way you think it does.

Most likely it increases the the amount of procs per minute allowed for MsW and hence increasing the proc chance by about 20%.

I think you misunderstand PPM mechanics. The PPM merely establishes the chance to proc according to the speed of weapon you have, so as to yield a desired average number of procs per minute. On any given minute, you could still proc from every swing if you happen to be astronomically lucky with the RNG.

Haste mechanics already increase your PPMs of most any proc based buff, why wouldn't this work to do so as well?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Gargz
    Anyone else think this bonus is absolutely pointless? Unless they have changed MSW from a PPM to just proc based attack, why would 20% increasd chance to proc something on a PPM be good? :-\
    Limited number crunching done so far suggests its a really great bonus. Further testing is needed to establish the exact value of the bonus though.

Perhaps I do misunderstand, but from what I've understood PPM to mean is, there is a set number of procs per minute that any given ability can do and msw was one of them. Having said that, what I have seen from personal experience is that MSW does not proc as often anymore since it was changed sometime ago and alot of the time one of two things have happened, I've proced 5 within 5 seconds or proced 4 within that same timeframe and the 5th proc doesnt happen for another 5 seconds. If there are solid numbers or a set number of the max amount of procs that are possible within 1 min timeframe, I would appreciate those numbers listed here if possible or a lazy link to EJ will suffice haha.

Quote Originally Posted by wyvernsting
    I think you misunderstand PPM mechanics. The PPM merely establishes the chance to proc according to the speed of weapon you have, so as to yield a desired average number of procs per minute. On any given minute, you could still proc from every swing if you happen to be astronomically lucky with the RNG.

Haste mechanics already increase your PPMs of most any proc based buff, why wouldn't this work to do so as well?
    This. All you need from the ppm mechanic is the percent chance to proc maelstrom per hit.

If Maelstrom is assumed to have a ppm of 10. That means that each swing has a (2.6s/60s)*10 = 43.33% chance to proc maelstrom. (If using 2.6s weapon)

So then you can take your percent chance to proc per swing, sum up the number of swings you expect to get in a minute, SS, LL, WF, Haste, flurry, white, both hands and multiply by your percent chance to proc maelstrom on each swing, 43.33% and you get the total number of maelstrom procs you should expect to see per minute. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be.

Now if the 4-piece bonus (20%) increases our PPM from 10 to 12, this is a huge upgrade. (2.6s/60s)*12 = 52%. So a little more than every other swing should proc maelstrom. Just think about how many swings you have in a minute. (Plus the WF glyph is a 10% increase in WF procs, 2 additional swings per.)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeysnarf
    This. All you need from the ppm mechanic is the percent chance to proc maelstrom per hit.

If Maelstrom is assumed to have a ppm of 10. That means that each swing has a (2.6s/60s)*10 = 43.33% chance to proc maelstrom. (If using 2.6s weapon)

So then you can take your percent chance to proc per swing, sum up the number of swings you expect to get in a minute, SS, LL, WF, Haste, flurry, white, both hands and multiply by your percent chance to proc maelstrom on each swing, 43.33% and you get the total number of maelstrom procs you should expect to see per minute. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be.

Now if the 4-piece bonus (20%) increases our PPM from 10 to 12, this is a huge upgrade. (2.6s/60s)*12 = 52%. So a little more than every other swing should proc maelstrom. Just think about how many swings you have in a minute. (Plus the WF glyph is a 10% increase in WF procs, 2 additional swings per.)
    Ty sir, the only thing that confuses me now is the part about the windfury glyph? Where do you get 10% increase. Is it not 2%

Quote Originally Posted by Gargz
    Ty sir, the only thing that confuses me now is the part about the windfury glyph? Where do you get 10% increase. Is it not 2%
    WF has a 20% chance to proc. So increasing it's chance to proc from 20% to 22% is a 10% increase in procs. It makes it sound more valuable when you actually think about what the glyph does.

oh hah, i'll blame that one on being tired...... :-X