Thread: Spriest SOS!

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Spriest SOS!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm a member of shadowpriest.com and I have read several posts on the EJ forums. Add hours on the Heroic Training dummy and 3 weeks as shadow. All that equals 3k dps tops in 10mans. 3.5k in 25's. I know something is terribly wrong. Here is how i start out. please any advice is appreciated!

Rotation: Open VT > VE > MB > DP > SW > SW: P (after) MF cut > MB > SW > MF > MF cut > VT > MB > SW Repeat (only use SW after MB when it's off CD)

Armory link:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ceis&gn=Apollo

I have been Holy for 3 yrs. and Gathered most of this shadow gear as off-spec. Hence why my gear is pretty good for only being shadow for 3 weeks. But I refuse to go back to holy just because I am struggling with shadow!

Re: Spriest SOS!

I didn't bother reading all of your reply or checking your gear because you didn't bother looking at the other post about shadow DPS that is on the front page.
    This question seems to be asked once every couple of days.

Firstly ignore target dummy dps, it means little due to the fact the sample data is highly corruptable and target dummies hardly simulate boss encounters.

Instead target dummies can be useful for practicing but it isn't the raw dps figure you should be analysing. You should be checking to see how often you are casting MB and how close is that to 7 seconds? Are your dots up 95% of the time? How many MF ticks are you getting per second? If you can manage a MB every 7.2 sec, dots up 95% and MF ticks every 1.5 sec you're pretty much at the limit of your rotation/priority.

Next is gearing appropriately, you should be familiar with www.shadowpriest.com and the best gear thread. From a critical point of view your gear is on the poor side, whether that is due to poor choices or lack of opportunity I can't say. Most spriests will tell you that T7 is garbage, only the Hands, Head and Shoulders are worth anything and at the really top end gear you only worry about the Hands. You also haven't used the best enchants possible, this all comes down to how committed you are to doing the best possible dps. You could use a 63 spellpower enchant on your weapon, your wrist could use a 30sp enchant, there is a better inscription for your shoulders, your cloak is unenchanted (as a tailor its not hard to put a lightweave embroidary on it). Your rings don't have 19sp and those mats aren't expensive.You get the point.

Your spec looks fine, there is a 2nd spec that is worth some merit but i'd suggest you keep what you have until you feel more advanced. The 2nd spec is to drop the 5 points in Spirit Tap and put them into Shadow Affinity & Imp VE... but again I wouldn't change it for now.
    Copied and pasted from the other thread. Delete whichever parts do not apply to you.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

I did read that post. And it offers no help to me. I read it 30 mins before my post. In fact I almost posted in my topic "and yes I did read the below Post" to avoid geting a message just like you linked me.

So unless i'm just plain blind "which might be possible" What is there in that post that applies to my problem? My spec if perfect. my enchants and gear are perfect. Unlike the nub below. I guess I am assuming my error is in my rotation. Anyways. I hope that helps future posts. Thanks

If your gems, enchants, spec and gear are all perfect then the only possible problem can be with your rotation or raid setup. In the other thread there are several posts about rotations.

Here is the one posted by Nezoia

I prefer:

-> Wild Magic (Precast),
    -> VT (tank's charging),
    -> DP (tank's doing first hit),
    -> Mind Blast (tank got enough aggro),
    -> Mind Flay (Getting the last stacks),
    -> SW:P (With Wild Magic and 5 stacks),
    -> Mind Blast (it's ready again)

Then using second Wild Magic during Bloodlust.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Hello.

I am only posting this because you mentioned that it might be your rotation. I only play shadow for quests and the occasional heroic PuG, but i use the following rotation: VT, VE, SW: P, DP, MB, MF, SW: D, then reapply whatever is off CD (DP or MB) or finished ticking (VT). - i have this rotation, because i apply all dots at first, to let them start ticking earlyest.

Hope it helps. The only other thing i can suggest to you si fiddling around with your rotation and finding whats best for you

Your gear isn't perfect but it isn't bad. If you have anyone who gives +13% increased magical damage, you should hit 4k at every boss in 10 man naxx with that gear.

You're using vampiric embrace at a test dummy? You're also using sw:d.

My "opener" sequence is this:

-> VT
    -> Mind Blast (replenishment)
    -> Full Mind Flay (got 5x Shadow Weaving now)
    -> DP (instant dmg dealt increased due to 5x SW up)
    -> SW:P

Refreshing dots when necessary, not cutting Mind Flays (got just about enough haste so I'm not forced into doing that).

Regarding VE - I put it up when the boss is being pulled, not in the middle of the rotation.

Do you use any addons for tracking dots on your target?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmet
    Hello.

I am only posting this because you mentioned that it might be your rotation. I only play shadow for quests and the occasional heroic PuG, but i use the following rotation: VT, VE, SW: P, DP, MB, MF, SW: D, then reapply whatever is off CD (DP or MB) or finished ticking (VT). - i have this rotation, because i apply all dots at first, to let them start ticking earlyest.

Hope it helps. The only other thing i can suggest to you si fiddling around with your rotation and finding whats best for you
    That rotation is terrible for both questing and raids.

For questing, never use SW:P because it is a waste of mana. The mob should be dead long before the 24 seconds it takes for SW:P to run its duration.

For raids, you are applying a SW:P without a full stack of Shadow Weaving, which means you are doing less damage over the course of the fight by constantly refreshing a weak spell, or wasting another GCD to recast SW:P.

So what's your question actually?
    [USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Your gear isn't perfect but it isn't bad. If you have anyone who gives +13% increased magical damage, you should hit 4k at every boss in 10 man naxx with that gear.

You're using vampiric embrace at a test dummy? You're also using sw:d.

My "opener" sequence is this:

-> VT
    -> Mind Blast (replenishment)
    -> Full Mind Flay (got 5x Shadow Weaving now)
    -> DP (instant dmg dealt increased due to 5x SW up)
    -> SW:P

Refreshing dots when necessary, not cutting Mind Flays (got just about enough haste so I'm not forced into doing that).

Regarding VE - I put it up when the boss is being pulled, not in the middle of the rotation.

Do you use any addons for tracking dots on your target?
    My rotation is for Boss pulls. I have tried Dotimer and quartz for tracking dots. I like your rotation idea for DP after 5 stacks of SW. This is a most helpfull post. (How much Haste do u have) I armoried 4 of the top shadow priests I know of (Ensidia, Jugernaut II, Aurora, EJ.) and they have 2x's as much haste as me. And they all have much less hit.

Thanks for the Post people! I hope any other struggling shadow priests can get something out of this thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    That rotation is terrible for both questing and raids.

For questing, never use SW:P because it is a waste of mana. The mob should be dead long before the 24 seconds it takes for SW:P to run its duration.

For raids, you are applying a SW:P without a full stack of Shadow Weaving, which means you are doing less damage over the course of the fight by constantly refreshing a weak spell, or wasting another GCD to recast SW:P.
    i dont raid as shadow...and i realised just now that applying SW: P on less than a full stack of Shadow Weaving is stupid, but i was just trying to help. I will probably review my rotation, but theres no hurry, as far as im concerned it works ok for questing, and PuGs usually ask me to heal, which is my mainspec anyway . Thanks for the tips

isn't already clear that SW is not a dps increase?

SW is a situational skill that can be an increase in fights where mobility is key or in a gap where you have enough time for it before your MB cooldown is up and all your DoT's are current and applied because on average, one SW is more damage than one MF tick, at least in my damage.

In a rotation it's difficult to manage because of the GCD it eats, but it can be an increase in DPS when used properly.

You absolutely need a good dot timer and cooldown timer. I personally like EventHorizon as it shows both cooldowns and dot timers in one display. I also couple that with another dot timer (such as dotimer) to keep track of multi target dotting.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ntHorizon.html

Quote Originally Posted by briceis
    I did read that post. And it offers no help to me. I read it 30 mins before my post. In fact I almost posted in my topic "and yes I did read the below Post" to avoid geting a message just like you linked me.

So unless i'm just plain blind "which might be possible" What is there in that post that applies to my problem? My spec if perfect. my enchants and gear are perfect. Unlike the nub below. I guess I am assuming my error is in my rotation. Anyways. I hope that helps future posts. Thanks
    Just telling us your spell priority doesn't mean you are casting MB as often as is physically possible, nor does it show your dots are up 95% of the time and that you are getting the most MF ticks possible.

Asking for detailed advice about what is wrong without showing us several wws logs, gear setups, raid setups and talent specs is impossible. Instead you should be taking all the information you read and analyising yourself.

I doubt you've done any wws or recount tests showing you how often you cast MB... that should possibly be the first thing you try... when you consistently cast MB every 7.2 sec (or better) and achieve 95% dot uptime in the process and get your MF ticks occuring every 1.5sec (or better) then look at something else.

Just from the fact you appear to use SW every CD, I would suggest your average MB cast is closer to 8 seconds if not 8.5... but again with 0 data I can't tell you what is wrong.

Get EventHorizon... its amazing. Also, I'm sure this has already been said but don't put VE or SW into your rotation. SW is used as a filler and if you are "on the run". I did not check your armory because it wasn't in a link but if you have an Illustration then re-apply SW:P when you get the +200 SP.

Erm, why would you ever not use VE? For fights like the XT you heal yourself for more than the damage he does to you with Tympic Tantrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Priested
    ...if you have an Illustration then re-apply SW:P when you get the +200 SP.
    No, bad adivce... MF refreshes temp sp gains... you only need to reappy SW:P for other types of buffs, Thaddius stacks, Maly sparks, Loatheb crit buffs... etc.

DoTs are affected by temporaty spellpower, so as long as you have all the stacks it should still be added, if I understand correctly.

Deleted

-> VT (tank's charging),
    -> DP (tank's doing first hit),
    -> Mind Blast (tank got enough aggro),
    -> Mind Flay (Getting the last stacks),
    -> SW:P (With Wild Magic and 5 stacks),
    -> Mind Blast (it's ready again)
    definitely one of the best starting "rotations". you can also skip the last mf tick if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by mofi
    definitely one of the best starting "rotations". you can also skip the last mf tick if you want to
    Got to much haste to do that