Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help with tanking on Yogg 25

On Yogg 25 atm. We managed to get thru phase 1 but were having some problems on phase 2 so I have a few questions for any tanks that have done the encounter.

As a prot warrior, do I just stand outside and tank the big tentacles while everyone else goes inside the portals? I've read that if a second Crusher tentacle ever appears, a tank needs to be on it right away. Why is that? I've watched a few vids but they never explain why exactly a tank needs to be on them. When its attacked, it gains a damage buff and I've heard you have to "joust" it, but what do they mean? Just tank it till its at a certain amount of stacks, then back off for a bit? How many stacks about?

Also how do you handle DPS on tentacles the second phase outside? We were having ranged focus the crushers (since all melee is inside the brain) and if someone got grabbed by the little ones, they would bust them out, then go back to the big ones. Is this correct? Also are two tanks enough to handle the adds for the last phase? Thanks.

Re: Help with tanking on Yogg 25

As a tank phase 2 is a slack phase. If a second crusher spawns its usually a wipe anyways. What they mean tho is that you need to interrupt the cast he does. it reduces the damage done by the raid and will slow the ranged, who should be primarily dpsing the crushers in phase 2, down and you will keep getting more and more crushers till you wipe.

If you run in and tank it, you will get killed due to this buff on him, increasing his damage by x% every hit/damage he takes. So you must run in and out when he's channeling the debuff and then just hit him once or something to cancel his cast. That's about it, good luck with the fight!

[Edit] I forgot to answer the 2nd half, what you generally want to have happening to get to phase 3 is make sure your melee in the portal get the brain to 30% (which starts of phase 3) in 3 or 4 portals. Ranged dps should be REALLY high! Handling the adds that pick people up should be prio'ed ONLY if it's someone that needs to take a portal. Casters can generally, depending on where they got grabbed, just dps the crusher. Make sure you heal them tho, as they will take some damage ofcourse.

About the druid, it is possible to do phase 3 with 2 tanks, just make sure you kill the adds FAST and tank them away from yogg.

Each Crusher tentacle applies a debuff on the entire raid that reduces damage by 20%. It has a cast time of about 5 seconds then it is channeled. The only way to break it is if the tentacle melees someone (tank) in melee range. Each attack on the tentacle applies a buff to it that increases the attack (and speed I think) so you really cannot realistically tank them for long (I usually head out at about 30 stacks). Once no one is in melee range, they will cast the spell again and channel it. As a warrior you are best to tank these because you can charge/intervene out of range quickly so you don't take too many hits running out. As to why you go onto a new tentacle if they spawn is because the current one will be DPS'd hard so it'll have many damage stacks and the new one won't so you can disrupt it's Diminish Power. The damage buff they gain only lasts 1-2 seconds before falling off so it if gets really high just have DPS stop casting for 1 spell and it'll fall off, allowing you to "break" it's channel again.

Thanks for the advice. Just made it to the end of phase two tonight. One more question though if anyone can answer it would be great.

When DPS'ing the big tentacles and when the stack gets up to 50+, is it necessary to call out for DPS to stop attacking, or can they just keep going and nuke it? Since its over 50 tanks get one shotted to interrupt it. If we call out to stop DPS , won't dots and such on the tentacle keep the buff stacking? Or dots wont have any effect? Can you keep going and nuke it and still make the 15 min enrage or do you HAVE to call out to stop DPS on tentacles?

Quote Originally Posted by deathawaitsu
    Thanks for the advice. Just made it to the end of phase two tonight. One more question though if anyone can answer it would be great.

When DPS'ing the big tentacles and when the stack gets up to 50+, is it necessary to call out for DPS to stop attacking, or can they just keep going and nuke it? Since its over 50 tanks get one shotted to interrupt it. If we call out to stop DPS , won't dots and such on the tentacle keep the buff stacking? Or dots wont have any effect? Can you keep going and nuke it and still make the 15 min enrage or do you HAVE to call out to stop DPS on tentacles?
    we have all melee go into yogg's portals including tanks. all ranged stay on corruptors, when the melee are not in an illusion/brain room they are killing corruptors.

Works like a charm

Sending tanks in the portals is massive waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashvael
    Sending tanks in the portals is massive waste.
    extra damage is never a waste, we're a melee light group

Obviously you should use all 10 of the portals, but you rather send in hunters or any ranged in there instead of tanks.

phase 2 - we do not have the tanks on the crushers and have ranged dps kill them (even with the debuff we can stay ahead of the next crusher, so only 1 debuff at a time). our tanks just help kill constrictors and kill w/e the other ones are called (I forget) when there are no constrictors up.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has any more useful little bits of info or other things your guild does to make the fight smoother, feel free to let me know! Tyvm.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has any more useful little bits of info or other things your guild does to make the fight smoother, feel free to let me know! Tyvm.
    Casters with pets (IE: Moonkin, Priests, Hunters) should use their pets on the crusher tentacles to interrupt the channel.

Won't the pets die though? That seems to be the issue last night, so we had people with pets put them on the other tentacles since they were getting one shot.

Won't the pets die though? That seems to be the issue last night, so we had people with pets put them on the other tentacles since they were getting one shot.

20% damage is more of a gain than 3 treants or a shadow fiend, IMO.

good point

If someone gets grabbed by the "little" tentacles (forgot the name) they are still able to cast/shoot/whatever

If u have 3-4 shamans in your raid spread them to different groups and have them drop cleansing totems, they work wonders in p2

Phase 2 tanking: It's all about and dancing with the tantacle without letting it rape you. You are a southern belle and it's a confederate general. When it is channelling Diminish, youhave to dance into melee range, whack it once to stop the channel and dance out again. You also have to watch the number of debuffs on it (like the lasher from freya) so it doesn't once shot you. If it has more than 25-30 debuffs you can't go in, call for a momentary dps lag till the debuffs drop, then dance in again. If it's less than 30% health, let the range nuke it down and ignore the debuff, move on to the next big tentacle.

We are using 3 tanks and each marks the big tentacle with their personal mark and the DPS coordinator calls for DPS on each tentacle in turn.

Any melee DPS on the outside should be working on the medium size tentacles and smaller if time, but staying with the main group as they move around the room dropping the big tentacles. Melee DPS should *NEVER* be dping the big tentacle unless they want to go splat.

DPS Order: Medium holding a person > Big Tentacle > Medium w/o a person > small tentacle.

Finally, watch your sanity and enjoy.

We were working on yogg for our first time last night (10 man).

We were doing really well through phase 1 and 2, but when it came to phase 3 we were a bit unsure. The adds were hitting each tank like patchwerk. Is there a buff or something I am not aware of that makes the adds hit like trucks? Do we need to tank the adds somewhere in particular?

Our tanks are not under geared. Both of them are just under 40k (pally & DK). We are progressed up to vezax in 25 man with a couple partial hard modes under our belt (in both 10 and 25 man).
    I Surf on Exodus Tears

Quote Originally Posted by wowman
    We were working on yogg for our first time last night (10 man).

We were doing really well through phase 1 and 2, but when it came to phase 3 we were a bit unsure. The adds were hitting each tank like patchwerk. Is there a buff or something I am not aware of that makes the adds hit like trucks? Do we need to tank the adds somewhere in particular?

Our tanks are not under geared. Both of them are just under 40k (pally & DK). We are progressed up to vezax in 25 man with a couple partial hard modes under our belt (in both 10 and 25 man).
    they just hit like trucks. Have your healers fact away from yogg the whole time so they can chain cast and just bomb your tanks with heals, use cooldowns if you need to, divine sac, guardian spirit, pain supp...etc

Ah, ok. We were all facing away spam healing, the tanks. Good to know.

Last one, at anytime should the raid kill the adds? Or should the tanks just hold them and the dps go balls out on yogg.
    I Surf on Exodus Tears

Quote Originally Posted by wowman
    Ah, ok. We were all facing away spam healing, the tanks. Good to know.

Last one, at anytime should the raid kill the adds? Or should the tanks just hold them and the dps go balls out on yogg.

We have the adds tanked near yogg with ranged on yogg himself and melee on the adds, that way moves such as whirlwind and divine storm damage both yogg and the add. Thorim's special ability is what allows you to kill the phase 3 adds, so if you're leaving Thorim up i suggest you kill the adds.