New to Death Knights: Tanking vs DPS specs

Hey guys. I recently got my Death Knight to Lv 80. With duel speccing available, I decided to get into the realm of Tanking. I was trying to find any websites or information that can better help me become a great tank. I am pretty well versed in DPS, since my main is a warlock.

I have a working knowledge of tanking. I know that Defense, Dodge, and Parry are important. I want to find out what the caps are as far as becoming incrittable. Also, what spec between Blood, Unholy, and Frost is the best for tanking.

From my experience and seeing other DK's in action, my guess would be that Frost the the best for total defense, and Unholy is a mix between Tanking and DPS. I have been tanking as Unholy since I first started trying it out.

Thank you for any help ahead of time.
    Work in Progress....

Re: New to Death Knights: Tanking vs DPS specs

I myself love frost for tanking. Frost/Blood tank specs seem to be doing great but Unholy has some TPS issues from what I've experienced.

If I see you... you're dead. If you see me... oh wait, you can't!

I was also directed to elitestjerk.com as well. I've gotten so use to the Unholy spec that a full Frost or Blood spec is foreign to me. So, anyone got any good spec ideas? Any examples?

By the way, thank for the comments so far. Gives me more information to read up and test. Thank you
    Work in Progress....

all three specs are good for both dps and tanking

frost tends to be best tank atm, unholy is viable and blood is a great boss tank, poor on trash
    unholy tends to be best dps with frost being last place, but the margin of difference is negligible

mostly go 5/5/5 then pick a tree and get all the goodies that seem tankish
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

15+ Year Old Account

I had a lot of the same questions when I was first getting into tanking... and honestly, I still have a lot of them : That being said, im obviously not a handcore raider or anything... just play when I have an open weekend or something. But if you know the basic basics and don't completely suck, you can get by. As far as caps the only one I know is you need to have 540 def to be uncrittable. After that im not sure if stacking health or dodge/parry is better... im still deciding. But for me to get started I got the 2-3 easily crafted items, and just ran stuff to get that def cap up. Once you do that, get in heroics to get a couple more epics and you should be set pretty fast ;D Good luck, and feel free to message me if you have a question!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...hts+Who+Say+Ni <---still a noob, but you get it