Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help with a Prot Pally build?

My buddy is trying to build a good tanking build for his pally, but considering he doesn't have any experience with it (and I haven't tanked on mine since WotLK, so not sure what's changed), I figured the good folks at MMO-Champ would hook him up with a decent build to start from.

Thanks in advance

Re: Help with a Prot Pally build?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore
    My buddy is trying to build a good tanking build for his pally, but considering he doesn't have any experience with it (and I haven't tanked on mine since WotLK, so not sure what's changed), I figured the good folks at MMO-Champ would hook him up with a decent build to start from.

Thanks in advance
    There is a lot of different builds out there for a prot pally. Basically, the major thing that has changed (especially when AOE tanking) is the seal that you use. You no longer have to use seal of righteousness, instead, you should be using seal of vengeance/corruption. Therefore, reckoning is now a completely useless talent (arguably, it was never useful in the first place) for prot pallies.

Here is a build that I use as a main tank:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...nhealz&group=1
    For someone who is just starting out and is gonna do a lot of 5 mans and not really be that serious into raids, judgements of the just might be a nice talent to pick up instead of persuit of justice or conviction.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

I will suggest Maintankadin for all of your pally tank needs.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...0&version=9868

... is what I'm using on my Tankadin at the moment.
    Works well enough for me and nobody moans about my tanking so take it for what is worth. ;]

Meh.. for what it's worth, I run this.

Ohh.. and don't listen to nwo.. any prot pally build without Judgements of the Just is fail. The effect works on EVERYTHING including bosses.

Any standard tanking build needs this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxo

From that point, nothing increases your survivability, you can put the rest of the points into group utility or threat talents. You can fill out some more of the ret tree to optimize threat with: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdgobhbc

Reminders:
    Divinity is a waste of talent points.
    Divine guardian/sacrifice is filler to get further down the tree. It's situationally useful unlike all the other options (except imp HoJ).

This is one of the better if not best builds posted. Some of your last points will come down to preference however. Though, it would be wise to ignore the builds suggesting 2/2 Imp Judgements, because those paladins obviously must have not read into 9/6/9/6 tanking rotations to make the best of their threat gen/cooldowns.

As a main tank, this is what I'm using:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZE0xA0uMGsIufdxf0hb

Pursuit of Justice is a very nice talent to have, getting from one place to the next 15% quicker can make all the difference. 3% more crit for a bit more threat, also 3% crit for the raid is a nice utility if there are no other paladins.
    Also, I've taken Judgements of the Just, in the case of there not being a DK or warrior keeping up their similar debuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockmort
    Though, it would be wise to ignore the builds suggesting 2/2 Imp Judgements, because those paladins obviously must have not read into 9/6/9/6 tanking rotations to make the best of their threat gen/cooldowns.
    I think you fail to realize 2/2 is just as effective as 1/2, there's absolutely no reason to ignore builds with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockmort
    This is one of the better if not best builds posted. Some of your last points will come down to preference however. Though, it would be wise to ignore the builds suggesting 2/2 Imp Judgements, because those paladins obviously must have not read into 9/6/9/6 tanking rotations to make the best of their threat gen/cooldowns.
    People who think 2/2 iJudge ruins your 969 are the people who aren't worth listening to. 2/2 iJudge does nothing to effect your rotation. It is a filler point with arguably more value than any of the others, though.
    Looking for a great guild on Tichondrius?

I'm running this:

Prot Survivability Spec

Great survivability when coupled with the minor LoH glyph.  You'll get an 11-min LoH for "Oh s***" moments to top you off and boost your armor. 

While I do think the other posted builds here are completely viable, I prefer survivability to increased TPS because let's face it... TPS should never EVER be an issue for a tank anymore.

About Judgements of the Just... Many feral druid's don't pick up Infected Wounds, and Thunder Clap and Icy Touch require tanking talents to reach the full 20% reduction. Plus, you'll have to depend on the person applying it (assuming there IS one) being alive, attacking the same target as you, and remembering to reapply it consistently. Given the consequences of not having that 20% reduction on a hard hitting boss capable of two/three-shotting you, it's not worth the risk, especially for just 2 talent points.

Quote Originally Posted by Auton
    Ohh.. and don't listen to nwo.. any prot pally build without Judgements of the Just is fail. The effect works on EVERYTHING including bosses.
    I never said it didnt work on bosses, but why waste 2 talent points when there is 3 other classes in my raid who provide the same debuff?
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    I never said it didnt work on bosses, but why waste 2 talent points when there is 3 other classes in my raid who provide the same debuff?
    Um... Kologarn, IC, Auriya, Ignis, XT-002, Freya (especially Hard Mode), Thorim, most trash pulls, Razorscale P1, Emalon, Mimiron P4.

Sarth 3D, Malygos, Thaddius P1, 4HM, Kel'Thuzad, Razuvius, Gothik.

What do all of these things have in common? They're all times when your other tanks may not be putting up their attack speed debuff on the mob you're fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyneside
    Um... Kologarn, IC, Auriya, Ignis, XT-002, Freya (especially Hard Mode), Thorim, most trash pulls, Razorscale P1, Emalon, Mimiron P4.

What do all of these things have in common? They're all times when your other tanks may not be putting up their attack speed debuff on the mob you're fighting.
    He's right, there's no reason to not take JotJ for today's prot builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyneside

I said classes, not tanks. A DK doesn't have to be a tank to put up the debuff (which gives 14% instead of 20%), and neither does a feral druid.

Bosses on which pestilence (from a dk tank) or a dps dk works well on which you mentioned that debuffs may not be kept up on:
    Kologarn, Auriaya, Mimiron p4, razorscale p1 (lol? he doesnt attack?), trash is not too srs, but if it is then once again, a DK will be able to keep it up. Not gonna go over any non-ulduar fights you mentioned because those aren't worth mentioning.

Anyways, the bottom line is that I never said this talent was useless, I never said this talent does not work on bosses, I never said this talent is horrible or don't ever get this talent if you're a prot pally. It comes down to your preference and your raid comp really. Overall, it is a very useful talent and it is worth picking up over 2% crit from conviction.

Martini

I said classes, not tanks.  A DK doesn't have to be a tank to put up the debuff (which gives 14% instead of 20%), and neither does a feral druid.

Bosses on which pestilence (from a dk tank) or a dps dk works well on which you mentioned that debuffs may not be kept up on:
    Kologarn, Auriaya, Mimiron p4, razorscale p1 (lol? he doesnt attack?), trash is not too srs, but if it is then once again, a DK will be able to keep it up.  Not gonna go over any non-ulduar fights you mentioned because those aren't worth mentioning.

Anyways, the bottom line is that I never said this talent was useless, I never said this talent does not work on bosses, I never said this talent is horrible or don't ever get this talent if you're a prot pally.  It comes down to your preference and your raid comp really.  Overall, it is a very useful talent and it is worth picking up over 2% crit from conviction.

the problem people are having with your view on JotJ is that in your original pos it was defidently implied that you normally only pick this talent up for 5 mans. And I quote:

For someone who is just starting out and is gonna do a lot of 5 mans and not really be that serious into raids, judgements of the just might be a nice talent to pick up instead of persuit of justice or conviction.
    And since a lot of people do not pick it up and try to justify it not being picked up for the same reasons you are stating (other classes can do it), it rubbed them the wrong way.

Since most paladin's threat is beyond the point of being "fine" 2% crit over mitigation of damage is crap, and viewed as an idiotic approach to tanking. Experienced tanks do not rely on others (save for helers) for their survival.

I said classes, not tanks. A DK doesn't have to be a tank to put up the debuff (which gives 14% instead of 20%), and neither does a feral druid.

Kologarn, Auriaya, Mimiron p4, razorscale p1 (lol? he doesnt attack?), trash is not too srs, but if it is then once again, a DK will be able to keep it up. Not gonna go over any non-ulduar fights you mentioned because those aren't worth mentioning.

Anyways, the bottom line is that I never said this talent was useless, I never said this talent does not work on bosses, I never said this talent is horrible or don't ever get this talent if you're a prot pally. It comes down to your preference and your raid comp really. Overall, it is a very useful talent and it is worth picking up over 2% crit from conviction.
    Back pedal faster, imo.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZVbtA0uMGsIufzxf0x0r
    isn't to bad of a build either if ur not MT

Martini

Quote Originally Posted by DX272
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZVbtA0uMGsIufzxf0x0r
    isn't to bad of a build either if ur not MT
    You wipe a lot at the entrance to abom wing a lot?