Dodge and Defense

Allright, just getting more confused now.

All guides, forums etc. say .. stack defense to 540, then go to other stats.

Allright, i always did that.

Few days ago i got some new items and had to regem to get to 540 again. I discovered the following and tested it out after that to be sure.
    I replaced a +16def gem with a +8dodge/+12 stam one. Stayed @540.
    So to test that out i replaced another +16def with a +8dodge/+12stam. Guess what? I was once again @540def.

So what did it get me after gear upgrade and regemming? A lot more avoidance with the same amount of defense and a lot more HP.

So.. is it true that 8 dodge is the same as 16 defense? If so, why is it never mentioned in any guide?

Re: Dodge and Defense

.....i need to try to say something
    *no dodge rating doesnt make def rating
    and i think you made some mistake somewhere or your just joking
    no im not always gonna put in a lot of thought when i post
    and not all my posts are serious/true

15+ Year Old Account

socket bonus?

you made a mistake or you want to troll

Dodge does not equal Defense. Only Defense Rating increases Defense.

Your Def Rating will however increase your Dodge.

You mus have activated a socket bonus or you're just wrong.

I am Priest - Play Free Online Games

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfoot
    Dodge does not equal Defense. Only Defense Rating increases Defense.

Your Def Rating will however increase your Dodge.

You mus have activated a socket bonus or you're just wrong.
    Maybe ... i'll just check it out again tonight, have another 2 +16defs and those items have stam and block as socketbonusses.

I'm inclined to think that you activated a socket bonus with the first regem, and then activated a meta gem with the next one (+21 defense rating).

So assuming you were at the high end of 540 defense, you dropped 16 defense rating(-16) but gained say 5 defense rating from a socket bonus(-11), then dropped another 16 (-27), and then gained 21 from the meta (-6). so you may have dropped 6 defense rating, but I wouldn't be suprised if your actual defense remained the same.

Sometimes weird things can happen.

One time I was at 544 Def and replaced a ring I had on (no sockets) with one that had lower Def rating (Still no sockets) and my def went to 546..
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

you dont need to be defense capped - just spec into eye4eye in ret and ull be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus
    you dont need to be defense capped - just spec into eye4eye in ret and ull be fine
    Please tell me this is a troll.

I get hit by some Ulduar (TEN MAN) bosses for 18K, if that was a crit I'd be destroyed.
    If I'm tanking someone who attacks fast like Ignus, then I'd get owned in just a few secs >_>.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Quote Originally Posted by Copain

I get hit by some Ulduar (TEN MAN) bosses for 18K, if that was a crit I'd be destroyed.
    If I'm tanking someone who attacks fast like Ignus, then I'd get owned in just a few secs >_>.
    How about those "mini-bosses" @ Freya. Had to taunt it off the maintank and got hit for 31k .. OUCH. (also 10man)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Copain

you should check the posts he makes

Martini

Quote Originally Posted by superbotje
    Allright, just getting more confused now.

All guides, forums etc. say .. stack defense to 540, then go to other stats.

Allright, i always did that.

Few days ago i got some new items and had to regem to get to 540 again. I discovered the following and tested it out after that to be sure.
    I replaced a +16def gem with a +8dodge/+12 stam one. Stayed @540.
    So to test that out i replaced another +16def with a +8dodge/+12stam. Guess what? I was once again @540def.

So what did it get me after gear upgrade and regemming? A lot more avoidance with the same amount of defense and a lot more HP.

So.. is it true that 8 dodge is the same as 16 defense? If so, why is it never mentioned in any guide?
    Mind linking your armoy and letting us know which gems you replaced in what gear. We'd be able to help you out a ton more I'm sure

Edit: some of us will be able to help you, still need that armory link and explaination of which gems in which pieces were changed

There is also a bug where your character screen will not update it's status till you relog.

First, as people have said, chances are you were wrong about the def. Please check again.
    Second, if you are a warrior or none-crushimmune pala, def gives more mitigation than avoidance (DR distributed on more stats, block chance).
    3rd, you can survive a crit in ulduar (on certain bosses). i (almost) survived 2 crits in an unlucky chain hits from thorim (-200 def, before you start flaming. Also, he had 14 buffs on him or so, 25man version).
    4th, at the freya miniboss, when he gets the buff the tank should run for his life to kite it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raledon
    Second, if you are a warrior or none-crushimmune pala, def gives more mitigation than avoidance (DR distributed on more stats, block chance).
    Def is worse than dodge generally (talking pure avoidance only here), due to how much closer to the hard caps on miss and parry you will be.