Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How important is it for a tank to be hit capped?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...+Peak&n=Bdftwo

I saved up gear and went prot for my offspec, I pretty much grab any piece of gear that is a singular upgrade
    ie: if x is better than y replace it

I haven't paid too much attention to trying to keep my dodge/parry/block % in any kind of balance.
    I've seen guides saying that block should be focus until my combined mitigation is over %100 with holy shield, then I've seen guides saying stacking pure avoidance is viable as well.

Anyway, should I be worried enough about the hit cap to start enchanting or gemming for it? and should I focus more on block and less on avoidance?

Re: How important is it for a tank to be hit capped?

I actually go out of my way to avoid hit because it's a threat stat that has virtually no mitigation component to it (you might argue that a missed judgement doesn't give a LoO proc or something). You only need to really look at hit when you're unreasonably threatcapping your DPS (beyond their own threat reducing abilities and all the other threat redux abilities such as Hand of Salv, Imp Intervene etc). Note that this should be reasonably hard to accomplish if you're using your abilities appropriately. As such I'd much rather spend the points on extra pure avoidance, stamina (threat through spellpower + health pool) or strength (threat through ATK and BV + Mitigation through BV).

Expertise you definitely want to cap out so you can avoid parry gibbing yourself as much as possible but that's also overly easy due to our amazing SoV glyph.

Well its not that important that you would EVER gem/enchant for it. and it realy arent thats nessesary for most fights. but in some fights invovling tank switches.

Lets say 4H tank switching it can be REALY anouying seeing those "miss" when your switching though. so again its all comes down to the specefic situation =)

Quote Originally Posted by BDF

I saved up gear and went prot for my offspec, I pretty much grab any piece of gear that is a singular upgrade

I haven't paid too much attention to trying to keep my dodge/parry/block % in any kind of balance.
    I've seen guides saying that block should be focus until my combined mitigation is over %100 with holy shield, then I've seen guides saying stacking pure avoidance is viable as well.

Anyway, should I be worried enough about the hit cap to start enchanting or gemming for it? and should I focus more on block and less on avoidance?
    That depends on how well you are doing on threat in instances. Personally, when I leveled my feral druid I went for mitigation first but I had shitty threat generation. Gemming for hit temporarily helped solve the issue. A missed mangle here or there was making all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Berdin
    That depends on how well you are doing on threat in instances. Personally, when I leveled my feral druid I went for mitigation first but I had shitty threat generation. Gemming for hit temporarily helped solve the issue. A missed mangle here or there was making all the difference in the world.
    Paladin tanks don't need hit if they're played right, although keeping a hitcapped set for fights like 4HM/kolo will help.

Hit is a stat you should not gem for, Unless you can get a decent socket bonus out of it.
    Cap is not nessesary, but I would recomend having more than 4% hit In cases such as Thorim which requires a fast taunt to save the other tank.

Basically don't gem for it but keep it balanced with gear.

Shoot whoever let 3.0 go live.

Hit is a stat for other tanks. It increases our threat, but that's not a concern. Stamina and avoidance are what you should focus gemming and enchanting for.

You will end up with hit/expertise on your gear regardless. It's an unavoidable fact. Just don't let it ever be a determining factor.

Gem for stamina and dodge.

Go for gear that has hit/dodge.

Expertise is a pretty useless stat for paladin tanks. All of our abilities are spell dmg, so hit is actually pretty important if you wanna be sky high on threat. Concecration is the only ability that cannot miss or be dodged/parried. All other paladin abilities can miss, and the only thing that can be dodged/parried are your white attacks/seals which do not play a major role in your threat so avoid expertise and try to go for dodge/hit/block value gear instead.

Block rating really shouldn't be much of a concern, getting over 100% avoidance is ideal, but look at all the other classes that don't have that and they do just fine tanking. Having around 20% block is good, anything above that, like 25-30% is overkill imo.

If you don't care if your abilities (such as taunt(s) and avenger's shield) miss a lot, then don't worry about hit rating. The bottom line is that if you are using your rotation correctly, hit rating won't play a major role in your threat, most classes won't be able to come close to you on most fights, but being hit capped will certainly give you a nice TPS boost that never hurts to have because that means more hand of salv (glyphed) that you could use to keep some of the pressure of your healers
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

hit is important but not important enough to gem for, when i started tanking 25man naxx as an offtank my hit rating was at 80 or so and my threat build up was horrible. when i started getting more it was increasingly noticeable that i should keep a decent amount of it

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira
    hit is important but not important enough to gem for, when i started tanking 25man naxx as an offtank my hit rating was at 80 or so and my threat build up was horrible. when i started getting more it was increasingly noticeable that i should keep a decent amount of it
    You're aware that stats like strength offer better returns for threat as you gear up? Strength is also unavoidable on tanking gear, it increases with iLVL.

Don't gem for hit.
    Don't gem for expertise.
    Don't gem for parry.

As said by offhand, strength is a much better threat stat than hit.

Also, when talking about being unhittable, it depends on what you are fighting..

If you're fighting a boss that deals primarily magic damage, its better to stack stam for the EH.

The best way to mitigate for a standard boss though is to get enough dodge,miss,parry and block to equal 102.4% with holy shield up.

Once you reach unhittable you should aim for enough hp that you don't get 2-shotted by the average boss and convert block % into defence by regemming or swapping gear around while keeping 102.4% combined avoidance..

Essentially as a rough guide at ulduar level you're looking at approx 30k unbuffed. which should give enough leeway to be able to have around 50-55% dodge+parry+miss and 15-20%block before holy shield.

Most of the info has been said in the previous replies but it is worth noting that hit is our second best threat scaling stat per point, Str being number 1.
    Threat shouldnt be a problem but if it is then try swapping gear about and see whats what, it might keep your healers on their toes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    You're aware that stats like strength offer better returns for threat as you gear up? Strength is also unavoidable on tanking gear, it increases with iLVL.
    ya i understand that but if you can't hit it then the str is completely useless, basically what i was trying to point out is that when my hit was really low i missed more then i should and my threat wouldn't build up. i would recommend having atleast 4-5% or you will miss a lot

Quote Originally Posted by BDF

Never gem for hit...maybe an enchant or two if its low, but thats it! Hit rating will allow you to keep a steady stream of aggro, but for the most part you should be around 5% hit and expertise capped with Naxx gear (25 man version at least). Hit is important, and I would kinda argue the strength over hit to a certain extent. Just stay around 5% hit, which i believe is the soft cap (yellow cap) and you shouldn't need anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira
    ya i understand that but if you can't hit it then the str is completely useless, basically what i was trying to point out is that when my hit was really low i missed more then i should and my threat wouldn't build up. i would recommend having atleast 4-5% or you will miss a lot
    Nope, strength is always a better stat, regardless of your hit percentage.

Shoot for 5.4% hit (or at least keep a 5.4% hit set)

Threat for bosses is rarely an issue. Misses suck, but they typically won't prevent you from picking the boss up. Dps might have to watch their threat in case of an early miss, but once you get in the cycle, it is unlikely that they'll even notice the loss in threat. As a pally, I have significantly less hit than my warrior, druid and DK counterparts yet can usually outthreat them.

The 5.4% set is to be hit capped on adds. Your healers will be generating plenty of threat from the moment they spawn and a miss means the add will have an entire gcd to try to get a healer and kill him. If there's more than one add you need to pick up, misses make it almost certain that one'll get away and you'll have to chase it down.

Hit is good to have, not a do or die stat. I personally have 185ish +hit and I eat snapper extreme, but thats it. No gems or enchants besides my weapon chain, and I never have a problem with any encounter on threat excluding Maly 25. You get some well geared people with some insane dps + standing in 2 power sparks, you need to pump out the threat. The only good thing about that fight, is its really good for utilizing the 69696 in P1. But as previous people have stated, never gem or chant for hit. it should come on the gear, and also like said before try to stay at a min. of 4.5 and up. Throwing in a SPriest / Doomkin + drenai really helps.
    Conall the Undying - 80 Protection Paladin (WoW Armory not working atm).

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Dont concern yourself with it.

Evereghalo is my Prot Paladin on Crushridge.

Hit is alright, but just let it come when something is an upgrade.

Honestly accuracy to weapon, is a good source, but dont EVER gem or enchant for it aside from that.

Stam is the best way to survive gearing up as a paladin, after that going for avoidance does come in handy.

It is really not that hard to mess up.

If you want a defininite pathway?

Def cap, ok, then shoot for 27 to 28k health unbuffed (to OT/Tank in Naxx 25) then get enough Block rating/Block value gear to hit block cal 102.4percent. Shoot for atleast 1000 BV if its less than that its a bit low. After that go for avoidance gear Dodge/Parry. Keep atleast 4% hit in ur mind. Which should be provided well enough through two or three pieces of gear.

As for expertise, get glyph SoV and stop at 6.5%. Only Hammer can be deflected, 6.5% puts u above dodge cap, and cuts down enough on parry gibing.

In all honesty any other way of going about it is a personal prefrence, and any extreme varriant take it with a grain of salt.

armory me, if u want my credentials.

Never. Ever. Gem or enchant for hit. Period.

Look at it this way, your main attack for tanking is SoV. The on-hit portion of this is miniscule amount of threat, all your threat is generated from the stacked dot. Guaranteed stack now, and your using a fast tanking weapon. So your not loosing much there from a few missed swings.

The other threat attacks are specials and you have about 4 of them that are all on instant cast. So if one misses the others will hit likely.

Basically, hit for pallies is not a large component of threat gen overall. It's by far worse then Str or Stam for threat gen. (Since both of those offer mitigation in addition.)

Depends on who you are running with and what instance you are running. If you are running with people that like to hammer down on the dps gas pedal or don't understand agro wipe abilities, an opening miss can easily mean a wipe.

If you are running something like Naxx10 as the OT, I'd say more hit/str probably helps your group. This should only be a concern though if you are trying to compensate for noobie 80 dps.