Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Prot Pallies look over here!

Hello fellow prot paladins!

Ive been tweaking my paladin lately both gem/glyph and enchantwise, and I was wondering what you guys use for enchants/gems/glyphs and so on.

Feel free to give constructive thoughts on what Im currently using.

Ill start with linking my toon: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...t&n=Lyktstolpe here it is.

Discuss!

"Slap yourself, really hard in the face, then leave"

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Prot Pallies look over here!

I notice you are not def soft capped.

You need more defense. You have 537 and need 540. The odds are slim but can be crit and one shot by pretty much any boss.

actualy he is caped as he has 15 resilience from his shoulder enchant,
    but u should go here for advice http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/
    "I once shot a gay zombie in Doom. I know he was gay, because before I shot him he was rubbing up against another zombie. I also shot the other zombie too because I don't discriminate against different types of zombies. Be they gay, brain eating, flesh eating or even Nazi zombies. They're all targets in my books."

0.34% chance to be critical hit, your DOOMED.

Banediction is baaad. so is reckoning.

i think you have the enchant from SoH use it.

your way above blockcap and wasting alot of on BR.

btw you got a 8 hit 12 stam gem?. you are imune´to crits but. defence stacking above 540 arent bad.

"" EDIT ""

you an engineer use your glove enchant!

Martini

Okay your gear is weird...

I don't know how you did it, but gratz on having the widest range of gear I have ever seen actually being worn by a character =/

First your under defense cap. Getting 540 take priority over everything else. (SoH enchant would be beter than resil and may put you at 540, not sure, I dont know the stats off the top of my head)

You should get a real tanking weapon. While I'm sure that axe looks bad-ass, thre are defidently better ones. If you can get into a naxx group try for at least broken promise if not last laugh. Also looks like you're running Ulduar, Titansteel is a nice weapon and better tha both mentioned before.

Trinket you already have the Conquest neck, so I'd imagine getting the valor from badges whouldn't be tooo hard. Might want to replace your block trrinket with that for avoidance.

Paladins with that shield make me cry =/

Shoulder enchant.....Really?....Please go get the sons of hodir enchant...

Remove reckoning from your build. It's worthless

Put that point from reckoning into toughness

5/5 benediction is never needed.

1/2 Improved Judgements is all you need, 2/2 isn't bad though

I'm going to assume this is suppose to be for tnaking a boss. You don't really need hit all that much especially while under the defense cap. Replace your hit with a defense gem, once capped start going for avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboi
    0.34% chance to be critical hit, your DOOMED.
    Where you get those numbers from? he has 537 defence= 5,48%less chance to be hit= 0,12%. but resill give him another .18%. ""so his immune to crit.""

i qeess this is your offspec :P

look alot my retri gear atm

15+ Year Old Account

I would say better minimum 541 def. for raid, cause if the char window show 540 it can be that it's in real only 539.
    I would entchant your chest with +defense (if it doesn't does it with the 541 def, then switch some gems)
    And your gloves with +treath
    glyphs are ok, but you can switch Shield of Righteousness against Judgement

Talents are ok, but as a prot you should never have mana problems so benediction is "crap", also SpiritualA. only need 1 point imo (if you have mana issue you can put 2 in there)
    Reckoning is crap do, because it does nothing for our aggro as we use Seal of Vengeance, and white dmg does marginal nothing.

Divine sacrifce is ok, but reduce hammer of justice is a cool thing cause it has a spell interupt too, and you can get it on a 20 sec CD (it works on boss mobs that aren't stunable like KT to interupt them)

So my suggestion for new telents would be http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZq0xAMuMusIufdxf0x0c0Nmcz

PS: Man way to late
    German player, sorry for bad grammar.

Okay! Thanks for all the advices and mostly constructive thoughts. I probably shouldve said that prot is my offspecc from the start.

About the fact that im not "Defence Capped" is because I wear the stamina/resil enchant, which gives me to crit immune without the last defence points.

The reason I have a hit ench and some gems is that I feel I miss sometimes in heroic raids, im in Ulduar most of my time, so therefore I use some of those.

The reason why Im using that shield and 1h is because ive been really unlucky with drops, and I only started tanking more frequently when Ulduar had been released so we dont go Naxx at all anymore. Still waiting for that Leviathan Weapon or something like that :3

I feel that 30 stamina/resil > dodge and defence seeing im capped with the resil. Ive never been crit so I dont see why I should change the enchant, and gimp my HP :3

You all said I should take less points in certain talents, where do you think I should put those instead?

And I also asked for some of your characters, and so far I have not seen any at all! so gogo, show us what you got!! XD

And as for my trinkets, I use the stamina one just for those bigger boss fights, Im using the block one because of the better dmg/threat of my shield of righteousness more or less, and that I basically block more dmg. :3 I also have the 40 Heroism Dodge trinket that I also use sometimes.

I think thats all for now, thanks again for your thoughts. :3

you should remember that defence above 540 give miss dodge and parry and that there are no DEFENCE CAP. its basivly a defence minimum =). i think your stacking EH to much. but oh well thats you=). avoidiance aint bad you know.

Regarding the trinket you should know that your block trinket does you no good at all.. while it is not used. because you are allrdy way above 102,4% so BR is a wasted stat.

use the emblem one its waay better and does also have a good use effect speicaly now that it will not be hit hard from DR.d

Never a good idea to just stack stam. We are one of the only two tanks that hve the ability to use all mitigation types, and as such, we can get better mitigation than others.

Err let me calrify

Say you have 50K HP and low mitigation, bosss will tear through your HP easily; but say you have your shield that (With Holy shield) has about a 50-60% chance to block 1K or more damage (typically more), a Dodge chance (which makes damage taken 0) of 25%, and a Parry chance of 20%, that's a lot less damage taken and much easier to heal than someone with more HP ALWAYS being hit.

For heroics: You only need 535 Def (maybe a tad higher?)
    For Raids: 540 Def (maybe a tad higher?)

I can't view his spec (says armory is busy), but I will say that you shouldn't Max Bendication, it's not BAD to get a few points in it, but don't max it. And reckoning is usless right now ( I think it has some use with the Parry enchant, but still meh).
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by LyKt$oLp£

You all said I should take less points in certain talents, where do you think I should put those instead?

And I also asked for some of your characters, and so far I have not seen any at all! so gogo, show us what you got!! XD
    Put the Talents in Conviction and Crusade.
    If your dd aren't lame you will need the extra aggro! Like Hodir (Hardmode) where good dd pull out 12k(or moar) dps
    Yes, dd can watch their aggro, but in hardmode you will need every dps you can get, so why don't skill the aggro boost talents

So heres my pali, but it's only a twink, and he's only 80 a week or so ^^
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...xxar&n=Cynhild
    German player, sorry for bad grammar.

Yey someone dared posting their character! xD

I know that avoidance is good and all, but even though I got alot of stamina, Im still not that far behind pallies Ive seen with similar gear if not better, on the avoidance front. But yeah I can see your point with the block rating, Ill start using the Dodge trinket more ^^.

Thanks again for all your advices, specially concering talents. Ill give some thought into that right away!

Ok, a lot of good stuff said here already but I'll try to recap highlights I'm seeing...

- Block trinket is useless. You're already well over the block cap. Use the Emblem of Heroism dodge trinket as an alternate.
    - Hodir def/dodge shoulder enchants are far better than 30 stam for shoulders (since either will get you the uncrittable you need), ESPECIALLY if you're starting to tank any bosses in Ulduar (which I assume you are given your Conquest neck).
    - Yeah, the sword and shield could use an update. Good luck with drops.
    - +22 defense to chest will yield you far more value than +275 health.
    - If you have threat issues, put Armsman (+2% threat and +10 parry) on your gloves instead of hit. It will scale more effectively with your threat, and you pick up a little more avoidance to boot.
    - Enduring Forest Emerald in your chest for def/stam. Boo hit/stam gem, unless you're absolutely utterly failing on threat. Yes, you'll miss sometimes. Who cares. You don't need to land 100% of your attacks. My tank set for survival on the hardest hitting bosses has under 100 hit, and I keep threat just fine. Granted, I have a better tank weapon, but again - if you're not finding people pull things off you 60 seconds into the fight, you don't need hit. If they're pulling off you in the first 5 seconds because you have an early miss, tell your dps to relax for 5 seconds.
    - Spec adjustments...
    - 5/5 Toughness is a core talent. GET IT. Pull one point from reckoning (which does SO little for us anyway).
    - Benediction is completely unnecessary, and is even MORE unnecessary when you're running with 2/2 Spiritual Attunement, and is even MORE unnecessary with the new Divine Plea mechanics since patch 3.1. Put the points into Heart of the Crusader if you don't have another pally in the raid doing it. Otherwise, put 2/2 in Imp BoM, 1/5 in Benediction, and start putting points into Conviction (which will also help your threat since you seem concerned about it based on your +hit gems/enchants).
    - Glyph adjustments...
    - The single biggest threat solution for you is the Glyph of Seal of Vengeance/Corruption. GET IT. Dump the glyph of shield of righteousness.

Overall, a few general comments...
    - You're probably emphasizing stamina slightly too much at the expense of sheer avoidance. In Ulduar, you need to find a better balance. This is primarily a reference to your shoulder and chest enchants.
    - You seem very concerned about running out of mana. You shouldn't be having mana issues. If you are, first thing to check is whether you're keeping up Divine Plea.
    - You seem very concerned about threat (judging by your +hit gems/enchants). If you want threat, get the Armsman glove enchant, and the SoV glyph, and it should help significantly more than what you've got already. And hopefully you'll get a weapon upgrade soon, which will bridge the gap further.
    - Know your block cap. When you're over it, stop gearing for block rating. It's points down the drain.

Ok, enough out of me for now. You can also see my pally tank (link in my sig) to see how I've focused for my Ulduar maintank role.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Vexryn

Martini

Okay! Thanks for all the advices and mostly constructive thoughts. I probably shouldve said that prot is my offspecc from the start.

About the fact that im not "Defence Capped" is because I wear the stamina/resil enchant, which gives me to crit immune without the last defence points.
    The defense points are still superior. They give not only less chance to be crit, but also add parry dodge, and chance to be missed

The reason I have a hit ench and some gems is that I feel I miss sometimes in heroic raids, im in Ulduar most of my time, so therefore I use some of those.
    Unless you're going to cap, it's almost useless. Yes you'll miss more, but you are giving up avoidance/mitigation to do so. During times of progression, staying alive is more important than threat. And Taunts don't miss so often that it needs to be worried about.

The reason why Im using that shield and 1h is because ive been really unlucky with drops, and I only started tanking more frequently when Ulduar had been released so we dont go Naxx at all anymore. Still waiting for that Leviathan Weapon or something like that :3
    good luck on the drop

I feel that 30 stamina/resil > dodge and defence seeing im capped with the resil. Ive never been crit so I dont see why I should change the enchant, and gimp my HP :3
    We can get more effective health from the defense/dodge enchant than from the resil enchant

I gave a few examples earlier, but also go into the ret tree

My character is always available, just click my sig. the picture part. The writing is a blog...

And as for my trinkets, I use the stamina one just for those bigger boss fights, Im using the block one because of the better dmg/threat of my shield of righteousness more or less, and that I basically block more dmg. :3 I also have the 40 Heroism Dodge trinket that I also use sometimes.
    again for progression survival is more important. If you are having trouble with threat, make sure you are using the 96969 rotation. Even in low hit gear, low block value gear, I still out threat all tanks in my guid, as well as DPS.

I think that's all for now, thanks again for your thoughts. :3
    mhmm

PS: I should really request a new keyboard at work. It adds so many more typos on top of the ones I already make =/

^ This guy above knows what hes talking about, thank you so much for all your advice, seems reasonable to me.

Now that you mention my specc, concering mana, I know what you mean, I do. I guess I was stuck back in lvl 70 where we still had some probs with mana.

Glyphs and Talent switches seems good to, Ill get right onto that as I said. Enchant suggestions also apreciated.

God damn it, you have my Ignis trinket, gief! XD

I'm fine posting my armoury link... you won't find many tankadins with a better setup.
    And that's simply because some items just havent dropped..

I'm probably in my retri gear from last ngihts ulduar run (I was asked to offspec since i had the best dps gear of all the tanks)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&n=Lightstrike

IF I am the mian stats are:

31.5k unbuffed hp
    26k armour with devotion aura
    25.05% dodge
    19.68% parry
    17.46% block
    553 defense.

unbuffed this puts me to 101.71% combined avoidance with holy shield up. When buffed I'm unhittable and my pure avoidance is around 57%.

For your character, I'll say the following:

Don't rely on resilience rating to keep you over the defence minimum.
    Benediction is really rubbish and you only need 1 point in SA to not run out of mana in a typical fight.. those points are best spent furhter up in the retri tree for threat talents a 0/53/18 is theoretically the best spec.
    Divinity is of minimal benefit and reckoning is useless, so you can throw those points in retri too.

Glyph os ShoR - I have no idea why you'd get this, the spell is cheap as chips as it is... Glyph of Seal of Vengeance is a great threat glyph and should replace it.

It's sort of worrying that you have 2 points in improved judgement without going higher up in the retri tree, are you using the 9696 rotation?

Your green gems should be defense+stam gems, hit isn't really a great stat for tankadins, strength is better in terms of itemisation cost.. and by the looks of your spec any threat problems could be overcome by a 0/53/18 and glyph of SoV.

I'm fine posting my armoury link... you won't find many tankadins with a better setup.
    And that's simply because some items just havent dropped..
    if you have 31.5 unbuffed hp i have a better setup ;D

apart that, i agree on bene and reck being useless, i know spiritual atutnament can be good even 1/2 but i prefer going 2/2 as i usually go out of mana if i don't tank all the time like a thorim encouter as i trow a few holy light while the other tank get it, expecially in hard mode.

Martini

^ This guy above knows what hes talking about, thank you so much for all your advice, seems reasonable to me.