15+ Year Old Account

[Paladin] Short Tanking Weapon Enchant Question

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...inger&n=Yanara

Should i just go with Bladeward, like everyone else? Or is something else more important for me.

Thanks

Re: [Paladin] Short Tanking Weapon Enchant Question

Bladeward has a big downside in that it doesn't last for as long as you'd expect, as it's only until you next melee hit. It is, however, the best choice for avoidance, although I still have 20 str on my weap. With no offence intended you need to sort out your spec and learn/use the 969 rotation (see the sticky here, maintankadin or similar); you're sitting at 98.14% unbuffed total dodge+block+parry, raid buffs will not take you to 102.4%. Replace your chest with Heigan's if possible; grab some actual tanking boots (anub's are BoE and nice); you'd probably benefit from replacing the signet with the Ti earthguard ring too.

15+ Year Old Account

Well, reset was today, so i'm going to grab some items this week.
    I'm doing the 96969 rotation (i know, i miss the point in imp. Judgments).

I'm trying to reach the 102.4% (i have the macro from GayGirlie to Check) so i thought that maybe a +agi enchant would be more beneficial for avoidanve.

on another note, does hand of reckoning and righteous defense use the spell, or the meleehit table?

Quote Originally Posted by Deralte
    Well, reset was today, so i'm going to grab some items this week.
    I'm doing the 96969 rotation (i know, i miss the point in imp. Judgments).

I'm trying to reach the 102.4% (i have the macro from GayGirlie to Check) so i thought that maybe a +agi enchant would be more beneficial for avoidanve.

on another note, does hand of reckoning and righteous defense use the spell, or the meleehit table?
    Imp judgement is one of the biggest single point TPS increases available; without it you lose 1 sec every time you use judgement, i.e. your TPS will drop by ~11.11%. It's simply not worth dropping that kind of threat increase for 25% more AC for 15s every 12 min (too long CD to use much) when you've got signifigantly better mitigational CDs available if you have the threat to drop [glyph of salv], not to mention that you will need to be putting out max TPS for gimmick fights like Vezax etc. You could even drop a point from touched for imp. judge and come out ahead on threat; a second in SA isn't needed for most fights either tbh, but is nice to have.

Agi is a decent ench, but I'm pretty sure you'll get more out of blade ward overall - there are numerous places, some BoE, that you could make up that few percent, and I'd take blade ward over 26 agi any day, even if it would push me to 102.4%.

Horeck/RD are both oddities; personally I feel that the RD glyph is a waste on many fights, but that's just me. I've seen no definitive evidence on either; merely people saying that it's melee cap via melee hit; spell cap via spell hit and eve spell cap via melee hit, so not sure on that one. EJ doesn't mention it, and hit isn't a stat I like particularly (some tanks do; it's very useful for kolo/4HM tank swaps but I don't like it generally, and as other tanks get prio on the hit pieces generally I'm not heavy on it, even in heavier hit than normal sets).

15+ Year Old Account

Enchaning, done. Respeccing, done.

Thanks for the reply.

Martini

Coupe other suggestions would be to be rid of the holy tree all together, and pick up more of the ret talents.

You've got 2/2 DG and 2/2 SA

Neither are really bad, depends on your situation. If you're main tanking, you won't really be using DS and you wont be casting SC on yourself (hopefully you've got some holy paladins). you should be okay with 1/2 SA also, especially since you've got points into Benediction.

You can head into Conviction and Crusade. This is purely a threat move though, and has no bearing on your ability to mitigate damage, so it's really just opinion based. You're fine to tank spec wise, but if you start having threat issues, this is where you want to take a look.

does hand of reckoning and righteous defense use the spell, or the meleehit table?
    • exorcism / holy wrath / hand of reckoning use SHT+SCM
    • consecration (first tick) / holy shield use SHT+CHR
    • consecration (subsequent ticks) uses AH+CHR
    • judgements / avenger's shield / shield of righteousness use RP+MHT+PCM
    • righteous defense uses RP+MHT
    • retribution aura uses MHT+CHR
    • autoattacks and hammer of the righteous use MHT+PCM

mechanics :
    AH - the hit always lands
    SHT - spell hit table (cap at 17%)
    MHT - melee hit table (cap at 8%)
    RP - the hit cannot be dodged / parried

SCM - normal spell crit multiplier (1.5x)
    PCM - normal physical crit multiplier (2x)
    CHR - incapable of critical hits

15+ Year Old Account

Thanks for clearing that up.

Should i get that ring for valorbadges or that trinket for hero badges?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Should i get that ring for valorbadges or that trinket for hero badges?
    The boots from the valor badges would be a much bigger improvement, especially if you're using frost res boots still; the ring's not that good for us (JC and sand worn combo is probably the best overall pre-uld; we gain very little from expertise as only white hits and hammers are affected, and hit isn't the best stat for tankadins). In terms of trinkets; there are better alternatives than the valor medal, it's a decent avoidance piece, but I much prefer stam trinkets - as you're not a JC I'd say it depends on what your second trinket is. You should be prioritising the valor boots and cloak and the heroism libram and belt; those are the best items in the sets, a lot of the rest depends on what you have and how big an upgrade they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco cracona
    Agi is a decent ench, but I'm pretty sure you'll get more out of blade ward overall - there are numerous places, some BoE, that you could make up that few percent, and I'd take blade ward over 26 agi any day, even if it would push me to 102.4%.
    want to add another thing here: agi seems to effect more from DR for dodge.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Draco cracona
    The boots from the valor badges would be a much bigger improvement, especially if you're using frost res boots still; the ring's not that good for us (JC and sand worn combo is probably the best overall pre-uld; we gain very little from expertise as only white hits and hammers are affected, and hit isn't the best stat for tankadins). In terms of trinkets; there are better alternatives than the valor medal, it's a decent avoidance piece, but I much prefer stam trinkets - as you're not a JC I'd say it depends on what your second trinket is. You should be prioritising the valor boots and cloak and the heroism libram and belt; those are the best items in the sets, a lot of the rest depends on what you have and how big an upgrade they are.
    BoE Naxx25 boots dropped, i think they are on par with the valor ones. I have the cloak and the libram, but i won't bother with the belt, because i have the belt from razorscale10 (or was it xt?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    i'd rather stick with my 25 hit bonus from the chain.
    It's 28 Titanium Weapon Chain and I don't understand how ppl can go with it instead of Accuracy.

because i have the belt from razorscale10 (or was it xt?)
    Razorscale.

Blade Ward sucks.

I am using blade ward for my own reasons. Agility on weapon is not giving enough dodge, so i rather get 100+ parry rating once in a while. Blood Draining is a bit scary because it may break ardent defender. Potency (str) is useless for me since i am not especially stacking BV, and i don't really looking for a little tps increase.

As for blade ward, it may stack and i saw 2nd stack 2-3 times in 6 nights of raiding. It is proccing sometimes but I agree that its proc rate should be improved a little bit, otherwise it is really impossible to stack to 5. It doesn't have an internal cd, but i assume it has 2-4% of proc rate / hit. I really don't know if it procs with yellow hits tho. If it is, for aoe tanking it is better than single target. So my choice is blade ward, not that it rocks or sucks. But I want a boost in proc rate

I currently use Accuracy; but mostly becaue I don't have an Ulduar tanking weapon yet (Mostly because I haven't been goign to Ulduar much xD)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Quote Originally Posted by cappytoi
    want to add another thing here: agi seems to effect more from DR for dodge.
    1% dodge from agi and 1% dodge from dodge rating are treated exactly the same for DR - the DR is applied after summing up the dodge from dodge, def and agi, and the parry is after def+parry.

The BoE naxx25 boots are nice (Anub's) since they got buffed; probably slightly worse than the badge ones for general use but very nice for hitting 102.4%, so for you they're probably the best atm. As for rings; I'd take the sand worn and JC rings over the badge one but it does depend on the rest of your gear and your other rings tbh - the badge ring is a TPS ring mainly, it lacks too much on defensive stats for my liking.

Chron, there's more than just the procrate on bladewrad to consider - the buff only lasts until you next melee, although I'm not sure if blood draining's worth it either tbh, I still like my potency.

Blade Ward absolutely sucks for Protection Paladin's. Most of our damage is white melee hits. I only did ~30k of damage from the Blade Ward proc in Ulduar when my warrior friend (btw get's procs like crazy from heroic strike) done ~75k in damage. I've only see mine proc once every 40 seconds with 1 charge. Warrior's can get the proc up to 5 charges in 10 seconds or so. I went with moongoose nexted, %2 dodge and procs more often.

The enchant needs to be fixed so it can proc from shield damage and spell so it benifits the prot pally more.

Quote Originally Posted by v4npro
    Blade Ward absolutely sucks for Protection Paladin's. Most of our damage is white melee hits. I only did ~30k of damage from the Blade Ward proc in Ulduar when my warrior friend (btw get's procs like crazy from heroic strike) done ~75k in damage. I've only see mine proc once every 40 seconds with 1 charge. Warrior's can get the proc up to 5 charges in 10 seconds or so. I went with moongoose nexted, %2 dodge and procs more often.

The enchant needs to be fixed so it can proc from shield damage and spell so it benifits the prot pally more.
    People want blade ward for avoidance, not threat. Our white melee hits are negligible damage, not most of it. What are you on about with half of that (apart from the reasonable proc on spells)?

15+ Year Old Account

Going to equipp my tanking items and update my armory.