Thread: New to locking.

New to locking.

I was wondering what some good lvling specs are and how I should go about questing and grinding.

Re: New to locking.

generally you talk to quest givers. complete the criteria of the quest and hand it in. spamming dots in the interim kkthxbai
    [21:24:13] [G] [80:Exeption]: i'm a warlock kinda harry potter myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    hes not that technologically advanced, all he needs is google and a right hand

15+ Year Old Account

1-55: Affliction or Destruction.

Destruction plays like a mage in that you stand and shoot stuff at the target and drain life as needed.
    Affliction is very unique in that you run around and cast Corruption and Agony on everything, and drain life.

Please note that 10-15 or so is extremely annoying as a warlock, don't get discouraged. Simply do your starting zone till lvl 8, then go to another starting zone until 12. Focus on green quests.

55+: Demonology.

Felguard at 55 has most of his tricks and isn't such a wuss. Between him and some stuff in the affliction tree, you will tear up mobs fast. It plays like a hunter that has no problem with multiple targets.

Caveat: If you get to 400 spell power (without fel armor) in Outland or 900 spell power in Northrend, you can do Affliction again with minimal difficulties.

Don't forget - you have healthstones (free pots), soulstones (instant res, learn to run away from packs if you know you'll die), weapon stones (free buffs), and Demon/Fel Armor.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by wut?
    generally you talk to quest givers. complete the criteria of the quest and hand it in. spamming dots in the interim kkthxbai
    You are an asshole. The OP asked a simple question, why waste your time if you are going to respond with garbage like that?

@Op

It has been awhile since I played lock, I can't give you specific spec layout or anything - from what I remember though demo is a really good leveling tree.

This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

sheer boredom is all. learn not to take it seriously
    [21:24:13] [G] [80:Exeption]: i'm a warlock kinda harry potter myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    hes not that technologically advanced, all he needs is google and a right hand

I second gherkin, but I would lean towards Affliction at lower levels.

When you hit level 15 you can pick up improved Drain Soul, which will restore 8/15% of your maximum mana, so the low level cloth rewards (and crafted) that leans toward have intellect on it will actually be valuable. With some clever usage of your imp, you can pull with CoA, hit Corruption, and the Imp's fireball will pull aggro momentarily. During that distraction you can shadowbolt and then fear and drain soul.

You'll end almost every battle from 16-21 (that's where I'm at on my current lock project) with full life and mana. It's wonderful. Around level 20 you can get some blue crafted items and nice armor from dungeons like Shadowfang Keep and then the other 2 specs will have the stats they need to pack a punch if you want to go that route.

Damn, I was hoping this thread was about the popping and locking dance moves. =/
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

Quote Originally Posted by wut?
    sheer boredom is all. learn not to take it seriously
    Go outside please, it's probably a nice day where you are as well. ^^

Though I am with you on the people who ask to be spoonfed, it's nice when people actually put effort into these things for themselves. When I want to know something about a different class, I just look at different forums for "FAQ" threads or google it.
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    Go outside please, it's probably a nice day where you are as well. ^^

Though I am with you on the people who ask to be spoonfed, it's nice when people actually put effort into these things for themselves. When I want to know something about a different class, I just look at different forums for "FAQ" threads or google it.
    I tend to look as well, but when I want my answer its usually patch specific, and people who write faq's or guides rarely maintain them in any semblance of order. Especially class specific leveling guides. Usually substantial changes would mean you have to reroll a character, and noone does that.

I get bored and do :P To anyone that cares: Destruction is viable, almost as good as Affliction until lvl 55 when Felguard just leaps ahead. Improved Soul Leech makes 40-55 delightful.

And this is coming from a guy who leveled 1-60 as destruction during patches 1.10-1.12. Bad idea at the time, too much of a scrub to know better at the time.

R.I.P. YARG

I leveled Aff the whole way.

I loved it.

There was almost no down time at all.

at 50+ u can kill 2-3 mobs at the same time and finish the fight with 98% HP and 80% mana.

Tho i leveled before there was Haunt as a button and Siphon Life was its own spell. Its most likly going to be even better since theres only 2 dots you need to put up.

bascially at low levels i send in voidy, dot dot dot.

i run to the next mob dot dot fear. then 3rd mob get voidy to attack that. rinse and repeat.

remember to life tap as u will gain HP back once u get Siphon life and if u get low on HP use Drain Life. Once u get Howl of Terror you can increase the number of mobs attacking you.

Personally I stuck to demonology while leveling. Buffed pets really help when doing group or elite quests solo, plus you get some survivability yourself.

I'd just say afflicton for levelling as no down time multiple targets (aoe fear, let mobs draw others... whatever they bring back is how many you can take, etc), plus all the healing.

Largely I liked levelling/ grinding in areas with demons or elementals (stuff in searing gorge, felwood, blasted lands) springs to mind as I used to enslave a demon or banish things as fear can get messy.

affliction is good for fast lvling

Demology is good 50+ its easy kill elites with this, but is slower than affli

Destruction is the worst... it drains your mana fast

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mermeoth
    Destruction is the worst... it drains your mana fast
    Destruction is faster than Demonology until 55. Almost as fast as Affliction, you just have to think of it in terms of units killed per minute.

Destruction, with 10% off the cost of spells, the buffed conflag (pre-3.0 is what I'm talking about), Soul Leech, etc. means that you get more returns than you ever have. Also, because of things like Improved Shadow Bolt (5% more damage) and baseline Instant Corruption, you can kill more things in less time as affliction, then spend the difference (or slightly more) drinking.

Example: Affliction spends 1 minute killing 10 mobs, tab dotting 5 at a time, fearing a couple times and drain tanking.
    Destruction spends 50 seconds minute killing 10 mobs, blowing the crap out of one at a time which takes about 50 seconds. The last 10 seconds is spent drinking.

I'm not saying level destruction. I'm saying that until recently it was dismissed out of hand as being bad. This is no longer the case.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Destruction is faster than Demonology until 55. Almost as fast as Affliction, you just have to think of it in terms of units killed per minute.

Destruction, with 10% off the cost of spells, the buffed conflag (pre-3.0 is what I'm talking about), Soul Leech, etc. means that you get more returns than you ever have. Also, because of things like Improved Shadow Bolt (5% more damage) and baseline Instant Corruption, you can kill more things in less time as affliction, then spend the difference (or slightly more) drinking.

Example: Affliction spends 1 minute killing 10 mobs, tab dotting 5 at a time, fearing a couple times and drain tanking.
    Destruction spends 50 seconds minute killing 10 mobs, blowing the crap out of one at a time which takes about 50 seconds. The last 10 seconds is spent drinking.

I'm not saying level destruction. I'm saying that until recently it was dismissed out of hand as being bad. This is no longer the case.

hmmm.. hmmm....hmmm..hmm.. okay demo is worst to 50 then destro

My personal Experiance Demo is terrible until 55. Thats went the Feltard gets some new tricks.

15+ Year Old Account

I'd say level as Affliction, its fast, easy and alot more fun (atleast to me) than Demo.
    In the first levels send your voidy in, dot mob up, and then set your voidy on another mob, when mob gets close to you, fear it, use your voidy's sacrifice a lot, as he can easily gain health back with Consume Shadows or Healthfunnel.
    Around level 26+ your voidy will start to loose aggro a bit too fast, then use your Succubus and when u get him, your Felhound, and tank the mobs yourself with Drainlife, dot everything up, use Howl Of Terror = profit.

I leveled as Affli to 70, then wen't destro (currently leveling as it aswell, 5 moar levels to go!) and it's all fine, I never run oom, I blow up mobs in a few seconds with Immolate-Conflagrate-Chaosbolt and sometimes an Incinerate if they don't die. I'm using voidy because of the new awesome Sacrifice Bubble, and he can keep aggro for a few seconds, enough for me to laugh as I bring chaos and destruction to everything in my path With conflagrate having a 100% chance to daze it's easy to kite things aswell should it get messy.

http://www.wowhead.com/?forums&topic=54456

The link above is a lock lvling guide.

I will sum the artical up.

B4 lv 50. You should go aff and kill a group of mob at a time.
    And as soon as you got lv 50, you can try demo. However, he recommened to respec when lv 57 so that we can take imp life tap at the same time. However, my personal experience is that demo is better than aff at that point even with out imp life tap. One important reason is that I am in a pvp server. I don't like to kill mutiple target at a time. However, my experience may be wrong due to patch. It was a long long time before I was lv 50.
    FG is trully OP when we hit lv 50. After all, the game is designed around end game.

The new trick they talked about is intercept, which is learned at lv 52, not 55. But I don't feel FG sucks when I was lvling with out it.

Note that: With the buff of imp soul leach, I am curious whether lvling up as destruction is a competitive option or not.

However, whether it is competitive or not, you SHOULD try destruction any way. Not for the sake of fast lvling, but to better understand the spec.
    -------------------------------------
    I am sorry for speaking poor english.