Druid as an alt.

I have an 80 rogue that I play as my main, but want to level up an alt to be my healer, though I will likely play it's other specs. Im thinking about either leveling up a Druid or a Priest. However, I'll be leveling as Feral (as it's the fastest), and was wondering if theres anyone here with both a Rogue and Druid here who can speak on how, if any, redundancy there may be. I'm just hoping the classes arent too similar, as I could play my Priest instead, however, I like how Druids heal, mainly through HoTs.

Re: Druid as an alt.

So basicly you want a druid, due to the new forms? *thumbs up*

/sigh, anyone else?

Comparing playstyle of cat/bear and rogue while leveling: the druid is more fun, faster and easier to get to max level due to a lot of reasons like better survivability, way better AE grinding if that's your thing, way better solo capability etc. In kitty you do share a lot of similarities with the rogue, you having a rogue will obviously note them fast - same MO of killing stuff: go stealth then pop behind mobs and kill them using a combination of stuns and dps, the druid is however a more brute force killer than the rogue, less CC needed. You rely on your energy bar and shouldn't just spam things away if you want to be efficient, just like a rogue. You can use stealth to your advantage just like a rogue in a crapload of situations, be it stealthing past mobs so you skip unnecessary ones, or escape from "death" etc.

I had a rogue back in the days of Vanilla, and i switched to a druid as I wanted a more versatile class. I found it in the druid, loved my healing days and atm loving the tanking and dps part as a melee again. It is pretty similar to the rogue when you go kitty, but the rotations are diffrent and more complex.

If healing is your thing then a resto druid is a pretty fun class to heal with. You will get a very mobile class as most you spells can be cast while moving, you will have to watch over a lot of things and HoT a lot of people. If you want big heals that flood your screen the druid might not be the best choice, it is a support class above all, but a damn good one and everyone wants at least one in every raid, be it 10man or 25man.
    /hug

I have 2 rogues at 6x and a druid as main.
    imo you can play a druid like a rogue; but you can't play a rogue like a druid. The cat is the similar to a rogue, it combines elements of all roguetrees.

If you play a feral it starts like a rogue but becomes more different at higher lvls.

Quote Originally Posted by xenophob
    I have 2 rogues at 6x and a druid as main.
    imo you can play a druid like a rogue; but you can't play a rogue like a druid. The cat is the similar to a rogue, it combines elements of all roguetrees.

If you play a feral it starts like a rogue but becomes more different at higher lvls.
    na... cat has *much less* control compared to a rog.

Say, no sap, blind, evasion, gouge, bladefury, vanish, interupts ...etc.

But Cat is generally faster lvler due to self heal. Rog die less on being ganged by mobs. (rogs kill faster too IMO, and much easier to twink ^^)

I would choose rog as an alt over druid.
    (depends on what you want, but if just to level, rog's faster, due to more dmg and easier to twink)

Quote Originally Posted by xenophob
    I have 2 rogues
    and planning to dual wield them?

Rog die less on being ganged by mobs.
    Bearform?

If you think druids die fast when ganged by mobs you're doing it wrong >.>. Hots, bear form, or when in doubt shift to travel form and run.

I'm convinced that druids are one of the best developed classes ingame whereas rogues I can't level past 10. Also if healing appeals to you... well priests are probably more interesting but levelling as a feral druid is a lot more sane than levelling as a priest.

I'd vote druid as they are awesome

If you get a druid, you pretty much have all bases covered.

Tank, Check
    Caster Dps, Check
    Healer, Check

Basicly, what ever you end up digging in this game, you should have a tool to atleast try it out. Heal gear, with minor alteration can double as caster dps gear, and if you level up as feral youll pick up good base for your tanking set. With a support of guild youll prolly end up picking quite a nice set of gear annyways.

In the end thou, choose the one that apeals to you most.

Khad

Ipit, Finnish speaking 25 raiding guild on Lightbringer-EU is recruiting. Check our website for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Segomo
    I have an 80 rogue that I play as my main, but want to level up an alt to be my healer, though I will likely play it's other specs. Im thinking about either leveling up a Druid or a Priest. However, I'll be leveling as Feral (as it's the fastest), and was wondering if theres anyone here with both a Rogue and Druid here who can speak on how, if any, redundancy there may be. I'm just hoping the classes arent too similar, as I could play my Priest instead, however, I like how Druids heal, mainly through HoTs.
    I have an 80 main that's a feral druid, a 64 priest, and a 50 rogue.
    xenophob was right about playing a cat at low levels is like playing a rogue (with the exception of stun + heal mid fight). Gigikent was right on as well about the brute force method of killing mobs, and you're a bit like a warrior in that respect. You can solo pretty much anything once you get the hang of them and you have no downtime. You should have no trouble leveling.
    The priest is pretty OP up until level 45 or so. The PW:S is your best friend and you'll never get hit. You will constantly get asked to heal dungeons (which you can do as shadow) and the rotation is quite simple (a bit boring even).
    Both of these characters would be a smart move as they're both very important classes. You'll never have a problem getting into a guild/raid as a priest, and you'll definitely never have a problem getting into a raid as a boomkin/feral dps/tank/resto druid.
    The only way you can decide this is by answering the following:
    do you like managing mana or energy?
    do you like kiting?
    how important are choices of racials?
    will you pvp? (if so just level the resto druid without thinking)
    if you're already in a raiding guild what do they need?

Played a druid 'till 64 and it was pretty OP, didn't really had to think how much I pulled or what I pulled, I could always kill it. I decided to stop playing it and level a priest mainly because I wanted a challenge so I wouldn't fall asleep during leveling. Also I wanted to do PvP and discipline healing was more enjoyable then throwing around hots. So yeah, I ended up with an 80 priest even though druid would be fun too without a doubt.