High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Profs for kitty?

So a while back I rolled a drood on a different server than my main. Main reason being I hate the Tauren druid kitty form (don't much like the new ones either, fyi. I expect to see plenty of Scars and black lions running around horde side.) and loved the black panther look the lucky lucky alliance droods got. Plus I could get a tiger mount.. That's always a plus. /kicks kodo

So so far, I've been leveling with Skinning and Leatherworking. Looking at the profession buffs and such, I think I will be keeping Leatherworking.. But I am thinking of dropping Skinning at 80, and picking up herbalism for super-fast-flightform-farming runs of doom, as opposed to rounding things up and killing them.. which sounds like torture. I'd rather fly in mindless circles following a line on my mini-map while listening to techno drinking rootbeer... Am I rambling? Maybe.

I guess the question is this. If my goal is to feral deeps at 80, is the crit worth it? Or should I listen to the voice in the back of my head screaming "HERBALISM, YOU IDIOT! GOLD WITHOUT EFFORT!"?

Re: Profs for kitty?

if your looking for dps herbalism wont improve it at all besides a 2k heal.
    for increasing your dps go ench/inscript

If you simply want more power for your kitty, pick something like JC or BS.

If that's not the most important thing to you, pick whatever you want. I don't know how much gold you can make with herbalism, but I made tons with JC selling spellshock and earthguard rings.. with 3.1 out the market for them has dwindled a bit but I can still make decent gold with little effort.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm trying to avoid JC honestly. xD

I make a decent amount of money with it on my DK just by prospecting and doing the daily.

I'm not necessarily looking for something that will improve dps. Just, would it really matter? I remember reading something yesterday saying a kitty should sit around 50% crit. Is that reasonably easy to achieve? Or would the buff from Skinning help alot?

Also, I'm leveling with other people on this server. We're trying to avoid overlapping crafting profs, and my bf already has Inscription, and another friend is Ench/Tailor. 'nother is BS. Hence why I'm keeping LW. lol.

I remember in about a week of getting up, farming a bit, and then doing other things, I managed to make enough to buy my Je'Tze's bell for 4.5k. Herbalism can be a really good source of money, especially with the Frost Lotus prices on my main server. 36g a pop. GG.

I suppose the main reason I even posted this is because earlier today I was all 'Oh look.. Flight form later.. Ohwait.. I can't kill things as a bird.. Maybe I should go mining or Herbalism.. Ohyeah, I hate mining.. Maybe I should go herbalism? '

Quote Originally Posted by Invi

I'm not necessarily looking for something that will improve dps. Just, would it really matter? I remember reading something yesterday saying a kitty should sit around 50% crit. Is that reasonably easy to achieve? Or would the buff from Skinning help alot?
    It's not that hard to achieve without the skinning buff. As long as your guild is doing some raiding, and you're willing to spend gold on proper enchants and gems you'll get there eventually.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

Master of Anatomy at 450 is 32 Crit rating, which is just under .7% crit, so you're not losing too much not having it. The profession buffs are all useful, but not irreplaceable and your DPS won't suffer too much from not having 32 crit rating. If you don't want to farm leather (and there really isn't much you can do to sell it) and do want to farm herbs, go for it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Awesome. thanks, guys. :-)

I still think (hands down even after the changes) that BS/JC is the best combo for melee dps.

Personally im LW/Skinner, but if you look at the numbers, its hard not to give it some serious consideration.

Skinner = 0.7% crit
    LW = extra 64AP (over a normal +50 AP chant)

BS = 2 extra sockets
    Couple that with JC = 81 Agil (2 free sockets plus 1 JC agil gem to replace a std agil one)
    Crit = 1.05%
    AP = extra 46.33AP (over a normal +50 AP Chant)

plus you get some extra Dodge (2.1%) and some armor (157.15)

for Level 80 Feral with HotW, SotF & Imp.MotW talents

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by kittenkiller
    I still think (hands down even after the changes) that BS/JC is the best combo for melee dps.

Personally im LW/Skinner, but if you look at the numbers, its hard not to give it some serious consideration.

Skinner = 0.7% crit
    LW = extra 64AP (over a normal +50 AP chant)

BS = 2 extra sockets
    Couple that with JC = 81 Agil (2 free sockets plus 1 JC agil gem to replace a std agil one)
    Crit = 1.05%
    AP = extra 46.33AP (over a normal +50 AP Chant)

plus you get some extra Dodge (2.1%) and some armor (157.15)

for Level 80 Feral with HotW, SotF & Imp.MotW talents
    I'd be all for that.. If I already had some money on the new server to level it with. xD
    But I don't, and I wouldn't have a gatherer, which is what I do when I want monies. Maybe int he future if I'm looking to min/max I'll pick up JC/BS. Liek I said, it's what I did on my DK for tanking. Not looking to do it right now for this drood yet though.

Just cause im killing time at work ... I had a play with RAWR

My druid, self buffed no food buffs does a theoretical 4654.984 dps with skinning/lw on a 5 min long fight (just using the default RAWR params.
    if I change that to JC/BS i get 4661.294

IMO not worth CHANGING for, but if you lvld them both as you lvld your char ... you would be slightly ahead.