Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: OHSHIT spell Idea for Shaman

In the recent Q&A, Blizzard said that mobility was their great concern for dps shaman in pvp so I believe suggestions that assist with this will help.

Sadly, almost every survivability buff to shaman of late have been through totem:
    We have to choose between protecting against fear/charm/sleep, giving ourselves a 4k shield thru stoneclaw glyph (make it a baseline ability!) or slowing/rooting our opponents from earth.
    We have to choose between mana, cleansing, healing stream or fire protection for water.
    We have to choose between 20% melee haste, 5% spell haste, nature protection or grounding for air (almost everyone uses grounding).
    We have to choose between Spell damage/crit debuff, a single target but mid-range damage turret totem or a short range/duration aoe turret totem, a short term aoe stun (if talented) from fire nova totem or ice protection.

All of these extraordinary abilities require us to use a GCD and take away any bonuses you would have gained from that school of totems. You have to choose. No other class has to make as many choices as a shaman does and many other classes' defensive CDs are off the GCD so don't have nearly as high an opportunity cost.

The last thing I want to see to help shaman survivability is another "iconic class-defining ability" totem ability. I don't want to see another glyph, I don't want to see another talented fix.
    I have 3 suggestions for shaman from small to big to assist:
    1) make fire nova totem an instant ability and not a totem OR make it have a much smaller detonate CD: this is something I talent for in pvp and is the least valuable of my talents as it is so seldom effective due to people moving out of its range in the 4 seconds or totem stomping it before it detonates.
    2) Make stoneclaw glyph a baseline ability sans totem or make it so that it no longer requires a glyph: Every time I need to use the ability, I press it and then immediately afterwards have to reapply my tremor or earthbind; I have to use 2 GCDs for my defensive ability which shields me for the equivilant of about half of one of my Lava burst crits. Two steps defensively for 1/2 a step ahead.
    3) My wild zany idea for shaman: Storm Surge - 5% of base mana, 1 min CD - Causes the shaman to turn into pure electricity, making it immune to snares, stuns and physical attacks for 3 seconds and increasing speed by 200%. Shaman is considered silenced while Storm Surging. Basically an oh crap button to get the shaman away from the situation and survive. Giving the shaman mobility to get out of a situation without any overpowered damaging effects, still allowing them to be weak to spells, having a long CD, costing mana and having the downside of being unable cast anything but totems to make it a choice to be made instead of the oft suggested OP abilitites.
    Again these are merely suggestions and my logic for not wanting another totem based defensive ability. I am well aware that blizzard does not want homogenization nor to grant OP abilities so I made sure my Storm Surge suggestion has it's drawbacks and is not simply another iceblock or bubble.
    Convictions are greater foes of truth than lies.
    All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
    Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule.
    Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate. You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPower
    It should just be a totem that has 20k HP last 10 seconds and all hits get redirected to the totem 5 min cooldown. Totem removes all snares, MS, slows, stuns. CAN be casted while silenced. Solves the rogue lock = dead problem, or the strangulate at half hp = dead problem.
    so basically a re-work of the stoneclaw totem glyph?
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia
    idea sounds pretty useless, im sure my 100% root earthbind, move a few inches away from melee to heal up works just aswell, a "bubble" that doesnt remove any effects? Hmm...I'd also rather have a Cloak of Skill move than a bubble, personally.
    No. defensive abilities that require you to be able to do something to the attacker dont work. Wars/rogues/rets/DKs would all have ways to be immune to it and we would then be right in the same place we are now, plus, you can just trinket it and smash away. They can't trinket and resnare us. IMO either a huge passive snare reduction or have EBT remove snares (the second is more likely).
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend