Page 1 of 2
LastLast

shadowpriest dps question/rate my gear

Hi there.

i like to think that my equip is prett ok as far as ten man progression goes, but i tried for half an hour now and i just cant break 2,7k on the draining dummy. i have no buffs except inner fire and spirit buff, no food, no other debuffs, the fights last about 3,5 minutes before im completely dry ( which means i have no probs in a real boss encounter where BoW, mana judgement and movement come into play so that my fiend is usually sufficient to keep dpsing.)

my armory link is here

i use classtimer to keep up the dots, usually sw:P has only 5 or 6 ticks more than VT and DP, most dmg comes from Mindflay, after that VT, Mindblast, SW:Pain, DP, and the odd sw: death, even though i really dont use it that often. mostly just when my rotation is kind of screwed up due to the haste trinket to fill a small gap, but i dont really think its that useful. didn't really notice a difference between using sw:death or using mindflay and delaying the mindblast for the duration of mindflay.

please give me tips on how to improve my dps. what stats should i prioritize in future upgrades? do i need more haste or crit? in raids i usually push around 3,5k depending on the fight but that is at best midfield in our ulduar tenman group.

thanks in advance, 309blank
    The World of Warcraft is a game of much complexity, sometimes there's fire, and you have to not stand in it

xheouls guide to wow.

Re: shadowpriest dps question/rate my gear

anyone? i would really appreciate some input, you can even flame me if you want as long as something useful comes out of it

The World of Warcraft is a game of much complexity, sometimes there's fire, and you have to not stand in it

xheouls guide to wow.

15+ Year Old Account

Armory doesn't work at the moment

Go www.shadowpriest.com for mor information about equipment and stats

http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20419
    German player, sorry for bad grammar.

armory works for me, anyways im just gonna post my naked stats for you

17098 mana,
    1879 sp w/o inner fire
    290 hit
    14,18 % (346 rating) crit
    11,68 % ( 383 rating) haste

sundial and elemental focus stone are my trinkets.

21 rating + 3 % crit dmg is my meta

no professions maxed out so far.

xheouls guide to wow.

15+ Year Old Account

3,5k dps ist not that bad with this gear
    (arsenal works now^^)

If you could manage it unlearn your professions, and learn two oft these: Tailoring/Enchanting/Jewelcrafting, it brings the most

Try to get more naxx 25 man or ulduar 10 man gear

i didn't really bother with professions ( as you can see) and i want the best bang for my buck for arena as well as pve. i dont have an enchanter yet ( i have a scribe and a jewel crafter maxed out with mining/ herbalism to support them), so that would help somewhat with making money as far as disenchanting crap goes. don't know if JC is still worth it after they nerf the dragons eyes and im far too busy to do the jc dailies. because of exams. i pretty much only log on for raids or arena.

i know i should update some stuff ( cloak/wrist/neck/belt/pants come to mind) but what are the stats i should mostly focus on?

and would engineering / enchanting be worth it? maybe powerlvl enchanting first and do the other one at a later time?

xheouls guide to wow.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by 309blank
    i didn't really bother with professions ( as you can see) and i want the best bang for my buck for arena as well as pve. i dont have an enchanter yet ( i have a scribe and a jewel crafter maxed out with mining/ herbalism to support them), so that would help somewhat with making money as far as disenchanting crap goes. don't know if JC is still worth it after they nerf the dragons eyes and im far too busy to do the jc dailies. because of exams. i pretty much only log on for raids or arena.

i know i should update some stuff ( cloak/wrist/neck/belt/pants come to mind) but what are the stats i should mostly focus on?

and would engineering / enchanting be worth it? maybe powerlvl enchanting first and do the other one at a later time?
    Engineering is only worth it for the haste glove enchant in arena. Everything else is either crap or unuseable (nitro boosts). I'd really think about tailoring, the 250 spellpower proc is awesome for pve, and the manaregen cloak enchant is awesome for pvp.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

15+ Year Old Account

If you don't want JC then do ench. and tailor. that will give you another ~100sp

PP=pseudopower

* 1 spellpower = 1 PP
    * 1 intellect = 0.21 PP
    * 1 spirit = 0.21 PP
    * 1 spellcrit = 0.71 PP
    * 1 spellhaste = 0.65 PP
    * 1 spellhit = 1.31 PP (when not hitcapped)

So get as much SP as possible, while find a good balance between crit and haste

btw. read http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20419
    ther is listed the best in slot gear, so look there and you will see what item ist the best for you(if you dont do 25 ulduar than only take the items from 10 man, if you dont do Hard Modes then look at the normal modes)

Hello 309Blank, Armory doesn't work atm so I can't rate your gear, but in case you are doing something "wrong" here are few tips.
    As soon as you are Hit capped, focus on +spell power.
    9-10% haste unbuffed is enough to fit 2 Mind Flays in 1 Mind Blast cooldown, when you reach 10% haste prioritize crit over it.
    For higher DPS have Mind blast as your top priority.
    When you are sure you won't run out of mana use shadowfiend for DPS, and use his shadowcrawl whenever its off cooldown.
    Use this macro so you can have it both bound to 1 key: /cast Shadowfiend
    /cast Shadowcrawl
    Build and glyphs:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbh...RfzcfqfzAo:aqh

I'm raiding as holy but have fair shadow gear and my DPS on dummies is usually around 3500-3800, depending of crit chance.
    Hope I was helpful.

"There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it."
    - William Wallace

Well, you're over the hit cap for Alliance (with draenei). I would also try to get rid of some of that PvP gear, and get some enchants on that robe. Other than that, just pick up more gear and you'll be fine. Do you need some help on your rotations or something...?

thanks for all the help so far, right now im powerlvling tailoring/ enchanting and its not as expensive as i had feared.

regarding the pvp gear: i wanna change that, but im not sure whether the crafted epic cloak is any better than the cloak i have right now. and the leggings i had just bad luck in drops. other than that you guys have been really helpful, im gonna get the +10 stats enchant for my robe asap.

i was a little afraid that i was underperforming for my gear, but i guess not, which is a big relief. im just gonna try to amass more crit and sp. the new professions should definitely help out greatly with the sp problem, especially the light embroidery procc.

one question though: does my shadowfiend get buffs from sp proccs?because i mostly use it as a dps cooldown and i really want to maximize the utility i get from my fiend.

xheouls guide to wow.

Firstly Gear

Shoulders - Not using the best enchant available
    Cloak - PvP item and not enchanted at all
    Chest - Not enchanted at all
    Legs - Disc PvP Item

Items that aren't really crash hot for spriets

Chains of Adoration
    Greatstaff of the Nexus
    Emerald Signet Ring
    Elemental Focus Stone
    The PvP outlined above

This is what you should be attempting to upgrade quickly. I don't know how rich you are but you should look at the crafted hit belt Sash of Ancient Power, if not the badge hit belt is a great source of hit. The Kirin-Tor Signet ring is great too, otherwise the haste badge ring isn't too bad. If you're doing 10man Naxx then you want to get a holy of the Maly quest item and use the reward hit neck.

Target dummy dps means nothing, the only things target dummies are good for is to measure if you are getting a MB off every 7 sec (or close to) while maintaining high dot uptime (95%). Forget the dps figure, look at the amount of casts you are getting off and see just how close they are to the theoretical best possible.

Lastly, I made a sticky which pretty much answers a lot of this and provides the basic spriest info, check that at the top of the forum.

why isn't the focus stone good? i use it mainly as a cheap way to up my hit and the procc is nice as well. i wanted to upgrade to the crit+ sp trinket from razorscale but haven't really been lucky with my rolls so far.

i also have the KT 10man mace + badge hit offhand which i could use but then i wouldn't be hitcapped anymore. i know the staff ain't so great but as you can see i get most of my hit from the staff+ the focus stone. i can shuffle a few things right now and im gonna switch out the gems in my shadow furious gladiators pants and change them to pve which should bring a nice boost as well http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41927. i guess they ain't so bad as far as pvp items go because of the high item lvl.

as far as money goes, i definitely cannot afford the kirin tor signet although i know it would be awesome, the problem is right now i have only about 1,5k g and i still have to lvl up enchanting/tailoring.

so i guess right now i should try to get my t8 pants, a new cloak and enchant my stuff properly.

thanks for the help ( of course i already looked at your thread at the top, the only thing i forgot to do was calculate my MB frequency and my dot uptime, gonna try to see what i can do there.)

xheouls guide to wow.

The proc is horrible for a spriest, it's extremely hard to make full use of that to start with. Also it's incredibly easy to hit cap without it, which makes the entire item very average. It doesn't even rate a mention on the best gear list here

Do not under any circumstances get your T8 pants, that is the worst T8 piece by far... you will see 99.9% of spriests get the other 4 slots and forgo the pants.

okeydokey, thanks for the tip, i didnt know t8 priest pants were so horrible. iom just gonna use the furious shadow priest pants that emalon left me for now until i can find something better. and trinketwise i think ill try to get the illustration of the dragon soul if i have a lucky roll or alternatively the razorscale crit+sp trinket. my problem is that i dont have that many options so far trinket wise because i have been 80 for only 3 or 4 weeks so not much chance to gather alternative gear.

one specific question though: does it pay to get the craftet cloak with haste/sp/crit? ( forgot the name)
    it has a lot less spellpower than the pvp cloak but more crit.

or should i just wait for a nice crit cloak to drop since it would be more of a sidegrade?

xheouls guide to wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Do not under any circumstances get your T8 pants, that is the worst T8 piece by far... you will see 99.9% of spriests get the other 4 slots and forgo the pants.
    Get the T8.5 healing pants, like me! They're awesome, and I got 4p bonus from the other pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Get the T8.5 healing pants, like me! They're awesome, and I got 4p bonus from the other pieces.
    Meh... Leggings of the Wanton Spell Caster or the ones from Council 25 imo... these are the closest you can get in terms of likeness to the actual BIS and they provide hit extremely effeciently.

Doesn't quite fit with Sash of Ancient Power, when I don't have a trinket to replace Dying Curse !
    If you don't utilitize the hit, they're pretty much best you can get until Freya HM.

Leggings of the Wanton Spell Caster is taking up some bank space now.

i requests my personal goatface now and have gone down on the hit to 270. is it advisable to use the energy siphon as a dmg trinket to get rid of the elemental focusston? i guess the sp is more useful than the haste procc from the stone as worshaka laid out but i'm kind of hesitant to raid with a healing trinket

xheouls guide to wow.

Err? Energy Siphon is horrible, there's a billion better trinkets. Elemental Focus Stone is better even if you can't utilize the hit rating.