Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Should I, a cat, be beating pure dps classes?

So over the last couple weeks in Ulduar 25 my DPS has been increasing steadily to the point where I'm often in the top 5 of many fights, but I really can't seem to compete with hunters, mages, and rogues (our locks are pretty lackluster players tbh). I simply can not get the first place past a rogue who is about the same gear level as me and a bit more skilled. But my raid lead and the other members of my guild are often saying I preform quite poorly compared to what cat druids are capable of. To the point where I've been benched from our 10 man hardmode runs, and not for standing in environmental dangers mind you. I have never once died to a rocket, laser barrage, void-zone, or lighting charge after getting my new rig.

So here is a link of the WWS reports and my armory (also please ignore the multiple wipes on farm content we were testing out new initiates). I am the only feral dps in all the parses so it should be easy to find me.

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/log/753316

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/log/754987

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&n=Martinesco

and apparently the armory has not updated but i have replaced a lot of items including that terrible ring you see. And now sit at 296 armor pen, 7212 feral AP, 52.34% crit with LotP, 152 haste, 270 hit (over and not gemmed at all for it) and 25 exp.

Edit: I'm using the shred idol and have 2 piece 7.5 and 2 piece 8.5

Edit 2: the armory seems to have updated.

Re: Should I, a cat, be beating pure dps classes?

cat dps is OP.

Enough said.

Theoretically speaking, feral cat DPS is the highest possible DPS out of all classes in WoW at this point in time.
    It is also one of the most demanding DPS rotation in the game if you want to do it right.

If this can be right from a design standpoint is not for me to judge, but it is that way.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

we got cat dps > rogue > varies 99% of the matches, blizzard slightly overtuned the cat-dps and im quite sure at some point they have to nerf it when more players are rolling for feral dps :P

currently theres not that much feral-dpsers playing 100% of the time only dps so they havent yet "noted this issue"

imo

Ensidia interview they state that their cats do like 500 more DPS then everyone else. So with amazing players with all amazing gear cats are far above the competition.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by Syrek
    Theoretically speaking, feral cat DPS is the highest possible DPS out of all classes in WoW at this point in time.
    Rogues actually beat it in theoretical terms if i remember right, but not hugely so. Feral is still very high and you really should be higher than where you are, but being benched for being number 5 overall? That seems quite silly.

Quote Originally Posted by tears
    we got cat dps > rogue > varies 99% of the matches, blizzard slightly overtuned the cat-dps and im quite sure at some point they have to nerf it when more players are rolling for feral dps :P

currently theres not that much feral-dpsers playing 100% of the time only dps so they havent yet "noted this issue"

imo
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh! Their might be a blizz employee reading this right now!

Its necessarily that people haven't noticed that feral DPS is so good, its that many people who play feral cant generate the same numbers. While its certainly not "hard" to do, it seems to beyond what many people are capable of in regards to maintaining a rotation of sorts. The feral rotation actually takes paying attention unlike many others where you simply follow a set order and keep to it without diversion. A feral cat can beat out any other DPS class on a straight up DPS fights assuming all gear is equal, if they understand the class and put the effort in. If you try and faceroll a feral cat, your DPS will not be spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by metzin
    While its certainly not "hard" to do, it seems to beyond what many people are capable of in regards to maintaining a rotation of sorts.
    Well, its not that its necessarily hard to some, its just the rotation is sensitive. One mistake, and your dps can fall noticeably. Plus, trying to pay enough attention to debuffs/buffs and keep the rotation active plus running around for the fight strategy makes things quite frustrating, like Mimiron P4 for example. I (Uld 10 man geared kitty in Uld 10 runs with everyone else geared uld 10) top the fights I dps, but Im also OT so its few fights I actually dps in.

Quote Originally Posted by tears

imo
    Wrong, blizzard has noted it and they were made well aware of the fact quite awhile ago.

They said, and I'm paraphrasing here "we know feral druid dps is high, but the rotation is so difficult to master we think dropping their dps would be a mistake, but we're looking into it."

That was in a blue post a couple months ago.

Feral druid dps is high and yeah, if you're all equally geared, you should be beating them, but honestly the feral cat rotation and what we have to do to accomplish the dps we put out, is easily the most difficult.

We must keep Savage Roar, Rake, Rip and Mangle [unless you have a feral tank or arms warrior] up at all times and you MUST be behind the target to shred. This doesn't sound like much...until you try and do it.

Factor in the occasional miss or dodge or whatever and you find your rotation out of whack and then you have to think on your feet.

So you have to keep your combo points up, your SR, rake, rip, mangle up, meanwhile making sure you're staying behind the target, avoiding failing ceilings, void circles, adds, etc. etc. etc.

I also have an 80 rogue and I find combat spec insanely easy and puts out almost equal damage and is far easier to play.

I also have a warlock and that rotation has been made a lot simpler and can dish out equal damage to most feral druids.

So no, the rotation isn't hard persay, but once you miss a skill or have a skill dodged or someone pulls the target away as you're trying to build up combo points, you'll find it becoming more of a time crunch between your skills and you're stuck improvising, it's the players that can improvise when shit goes wrong that still manage to keep their dps high during raids.

just checked your armory, no offense, but with those enchants i would bench you 2.

Rogues do more, but I see no reason why a cat shouldn't be about the same...It's the same class with a more complex rotation.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Your gear choice and gemming is awful. I would bench you from non-hardmodes if given the choice. Because you clearly don't know anything about WoW i really doubt you can maximize the potential of a feral druid or any class. You should reroll ret pally so you can just hit the buttons when they glow; much easier.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cho%27gall&n=Apocalypseis

Honestly, if the situation is "Feral rotation is hard" (it isn't, but supposing), the answer is not "Well, give feral more dps!". Rather, it's "Ok, make feral easier."

I think most serious dpsers would love to make that trade "Ok, so you're gonna give me another spell/cooldown/timer to watch, and give me 10% more dps in exchange? How about yeah!".

And, realistically, this is what will happen. Feral will be made slightly easier, and in the course of that, will have its dps lowered to be more in line with where hybrids are apparently supposed to be. Probably around the same time they nerf unholy dk aoe.

Deleted

Same here. I am one of our 4 MTs, but right now I DPS whenever possible and the DK tanks everything - just because I do as much or even more damage than our nearly BiS-equiped (pre-hardmodes) Rogue. In fights like Vezax, Ignis or XT cats are great if played perfectly. However our DPS decreases dramatically with every target-switch of if we can´t DPS from behind.

I do think that we do too much damage under perfect conditions...but if it would just get nerfed (e.g. SR 20% instead of 30%) we would suck in a lot of fights, too. Plus, and I don´t want to sound arrogant, but there are only few people who play their cat close to perfection - and if you don´t, your DPS drops like it does for no other class. I out-dps our other MT-feral (gear is basically the same) by a seizable margin every time and he knows how to play, too. Cat-DPS is all about managing CDs, Debuffs, Buffs und Energy way ahead of what is actually happening or could happen during a fight.

And like fizikz said: nerf overall DPS and everyone who doesn´t play really well gets screwed. I mean, there are still so many people that do not see Ferals as a viable DPS-choice, so I don´t know how we are OP...

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de

I do think that we do too much damage under perfect conditions...but if it would just get nerfed (e.g. SR 20% instead of 30%) we would suck in a lot of fights, too. Plus, and I don´t want to sound arrogant, but there are only few people who play their cat close to perfection - and if you don´t, your DPS drops like it does for no other class. I out-dps our other MT-feral (gear is basically the same) by a seizable margin every time and he knows how to play, too. Cat-DPS is all about managing CDs, Debuffs, Buffs und Energy way ahead of what is actually happening or could happen during a fight.

And like fizikz said: nerf overall DPS and everyone who doesn´t play really well gets screwed. I mean, there are still so many people that do not see Ferals as a viable DPS-choice, so I don´t know how we are OP...
    ^this. This is why we haven't been nerfed yet. Yes ferals who do everything PERFECT, kill the damage meters, should they? No. But right now blizzard doesn't know how to nerf kitty dps without screwing over a sizable portion of people that play it.

Blizzard has said that Cat DPS is the toughest rotation/priority, but as a result it is capable of the high/equivalent damage to a rogue/dk/hunter/mage. It's tough, but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Crona
    just checked your armory, no offense, but with those enchants i would bench you 2.
    What are you talking about? His gear forces him to gem/enchant for hit/expertise :\

The only horrid gear choice i see is that tank ring he needs to replace.

No.